Can someone listen to this for me?

pearldrum944

I was just wondering what someone with more experience thought of this? This is not my band, I was wanting to get opinions on the recording. What needs to be changed to get a better sound? I'm using Ableton Live. Thanks.

Vocals have a weird fx noise, like a phase or flange. I reccomend muting any spots where there are no vox or use a gate. Drums fake in the beginning? Not a big fan of the drum sound. The kick is too low and the Overheads are dim as well. What's with the record scratch noise at end? There are some timing issues that need fixed. I never used Ableton but I don't think it is what you should be using for stuff like this, mostly Techno stuff.

13th_Omen said:
Vocals have a weird fx noise, like a phase or flange. I reccomend muting any spots where there are no vox or use a gate. Drums fake in the beginning? Not a big fan of the drum sound. The kick is too low and the Overheads are dim as well. What's with the record scratch noise at end? There are some timing issues that need fixed. I never used Ableton but I don't think it is what you should be using for stuff like this, mostly Techno stuff.

Thanks for the help. I cleaned up the vocals a little, there was a tube plug-in that seemed to be too much with vintagewarmer. The drums are real throughout the song, I brought up the mids and bumped the lows down a little in the bass drum. The guitar track in the end had alot less of the vinyl effect before but the band wanted more... Overall I think it sounds a little better. What do you find so bad about Live? I know it is mostly used by DJ's, but I also know alot of people who use it for actual recording like this. From what I have been able to tell the myths about its "poor sound-engine" seem to be false.
Anyone else?

Last edited:
chrisharris said:
Here's what I got:

"This users account has been disabled.

If you feel you are getting this message in error, please contact an administrator."

So overall, I guess I'd have to say the mix was a bit on the quiet side, lol.
Wow, this is frustrating. The first link seems to be working if you copy it into the "navigation Toolbar".

And also, this link should work soon...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/pearldrum944music.htm

I won't address the mix issues, other folks have covered that.

I have opinions about how the song is constructed, which is a totally subjective sort of thing so feel free to ignore me. The song has plenty of potential as is.

The opening guitar could use some treatment other than the obvious delay/ doubling that's already going on, it's pretty boring as is, pretty repetitive. It also has some timing issue once the voice and drums come in the first time. Maybe some slight chorusing or repeat echo would help, hard to say, you might also weave another guitar part in and out around it, something higher up on the neck to add some melodic interest.

The opening part goes on way too long. Musically speaking all I can say is, get to the point a little quicker. I'd also suggest losing the noisy vinyl outro, it makes no sense.

Edit - I really should proof read before I post.

Last edited:
Phyl said:
I won't address the mix issues, other folks have covered that.

I have opinions about how the song is constructed, which is a totally subjective sort of thing so feel free to ignore me. The song has plenty of potential as is.

The opening guitar could use some treatment other than the obvious delay/ doubling that's already going on, it's pretty boring as is, pretty repetitive. It also has some timing issue once the voice and drums come in the first time. Maybe some slight chorusing or repeat echo would help, hard to say, you might also weave another guitar part in and out around it, something higher up on the neck to add some melodic interest.

The opening quiet part goes on way too long. Musically speaking all I can say is, get to the point a little quicker. I'd also suggest losing the noisy vinyl noisy outro, it makes no sense.

The last sentence made me laugh really hard for no reason at all.

The guitar timing through a lot of the song is quite a bit off from the drums. The vocals are off key in a few parts, but nothing horribly noticeable. After every verse it feels like you're starting right back in the beginning (until about the 4 minute mark? 4 minutes of starting back at the beginning. And then it basically does it again). The yell took me off guard there! But then it's more of the same - just a little faster and more distorted! I agree with the vinyl thing. It definitely doesn't add much (if anything).

Yeah, I suggested changing the song some, but the band likes it the way it is. They like how it is long and slow, then the scream and kind of fast for about 30 seconds and ends. I'll mess with some effects for the guitar and take the vinyl effect out of the end unless they are totally against it. If you think some of the vocals are bad now you should have heard it before I used Melodyne... Again, thanks for the help.

xtjdx said:
The last sentence made me laugh really hard for no reason at all.

The guitar timing through a lot of the song is quite a bit off from the drums. The vocals are off key in a few parts, but nothing horribly noticeable. After every verse it feels like you're starting right back in the beginning (until about the 4 minute mark? 4 minutes of starting back at the beginning. And then it basically does it again). The yell took me off guard there! But then it's more of the same - just a little faster and more distorted! I agree with the vinyl thing. It definitely doesn't add much (if anything).

Yep.
Timming, timming, timming!

Back