Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can someone listen to this for me?

Thanks

Can someone listen to this for me?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was just wondering what someone with more experience thought of this? This is not my band, I was wanting to get opinions on the recording. What needs to be changed to get a better sound? I'm using Ableton Live. Thanks.
    http://www.geocities.com/pearldrumdb/11Rendered.MP3

Thanks
    Well, looks like the link isn't working. That's the only way I know how to host it...

Thanks

Thanks
    Vocals have a weird fx noise, like a phase or flange. I reccomend muting any spots where there are no vox or use a gate. Drums fake in the beginning? Not a big fan of the drum sound. The kick is too low and the Overheads are dim as well. What's with the record scratch noise at end? There are some timing issues that need fixed. I never used Ableton but I don't think it is what you should be using for stuff like this, mostly Techno stuff.
    "Peace, Pot, and Micro-Dot... Jesus loves you stoned or not!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 13th_Omen
    Vocals have a weird fx noise, like a phase or flange. I reccomend muting any spots where there are no vox or use a gate. Drums fake in the beginning? Not a big fan of the drum sound. The kick is too low and the Overheads are dim as well. What's with the record scratch noise at end? There are some timing issues that need fixed. I never used Ableton but I don't think it is what you should be using for stuff like this, mostly Techno stuff.
    Thanks for the help. I cleaned up the vocals a little, there was a tube plug-in that seemed to be too much with vintagewarmer. The drums are real throughout the song, I brought up the mids and bumped the lows down a little in the bass drum. The guitar track in the end had alot less of the vinyl effect before but the band wanted more... Overall I think it sounds a little better. What do you find so bad about Live? I know it is mostly used by DJ's, but I also know alot of people who use it for actual recording like this. From what I have been able to tell the myths about its "poor sound-engine" seem to be false.
    Anyone else?
    Last edited by pearldrum944; 03-29-2005 at 17:00.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pearldrum944
    Here's what I got:

"This users account has been disabled.

If you feel you are getting this message in error, please contact an administrator."

So overall, I guess I'd have to say the mix was a bit on the quiet side, lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisharris
    Here's what I got:

"This users account has been disabled.

If you feel you are getting this message in error, please contact an administrator."

So overall, I guess I'd have to say the mix was a bit on the quiet side, lol.
    Wow, this is frustrating. The first link seems to be working if you copy it into the "navigation Toolbar".

And also, this link should work soon...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/pearldrum944music.htm

Phyl Guest
    I won't address the mix issues, other folks have covered that.

I have opinions about how the song is constructed, which is a totally subjective sort of thing so feel free to ignore me. The song has plenty of potential as is.

The opening guitar could use some treatment other than the obvious delay/ doubling that's already going on, it's pretty boring as is, pretty repetitive. It also has some timing issue once the voice and drums come in the first time. Maybe some slight chorusing or repeat echo would help, hard to say, you might also weave another guitar part in and out around it, something higher up on the neck to add some melodic interest.

The opening part goes on way too long. Musically speaking all I can say is, get to the point a little quicker. I'd also suggest losing the noisy vinyl outro, it makes no sense.

Edit - I really should proof read before I post.
    Last edited by Phyl; 03-30-2005 at 17:10.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyl
    I won't address the mix issues, other folks have covered that.

I have opinions about how the song is constructed, which is a totally subjective sort of thing so feel free to ignore me. The song has plenty of potential as is.

The opening guitar could use some treatment other than the obvious delay/ doubling that's already going on, it's pretty boring as is, pretty repetitive. It also has some timing issue once the voice and drums come in the first time. Maybe some slight chorusing or repeat echo would help, hard to say, you might also weave another guitar part in and out around it, something higher up on the neck to add some melodic interest.

The opening quiet part goes on way too long. Musically speaking all I can say is, get to the point a little quicker. I'd also suggest losing the noisy vinyl noisy outro, it makes no sense.
    The last sentence made me laugh really hard for no reason at all.

The guitar timing through a lot of the song is quite a bit off from the drums. The vocals are off key in a few parts, but nothing horribly noticeable. After every verse it feels like you're starting right back in the beginning (until about the 4 minute mark? 4 minutes of starting back at the beginning. And then it basically does it again). The yell took me off guard there! But then it's more of the same - just a little faster and more distorted! I agree with the vinyl thing. It definitely doesn't add much (if anything).
    This is beautiful.
    THIS IS ART.
    I love Pig Destroyer.

Thanks

Link?

Can't seem to get any of the links to work.

Thread Information