Can I post a cover song?

Cliff

I fully intend on recording some originals and I already have done a few instrumentals but I'd rather post something with vocals because to me that seems the hardest thing to get right. As for the cover of the song, I pretty much tried to copy the original as best I could but I doubt if anyone on here has heard the song anyway. I'm not really looking for a critique on the song but I would like some opinions on how I could improve the recording. Anyway, I'm gonna try and get it up this weekend and I'll post a message about it when I do. I hope some of you will give it a listen and tell me what you think.

I was wondering if I could post a cover song on Juston for review. I am new to home recording and I wanted to get some opinions on my mix. I have no problem writing original music, but original lyrics don't come so easily. I really wanted to post something with vocals though because that is what I'm having the hardest time with. The song I want to post is by a band called Memory Dean from Atlanta who are still pretty small time, I don't think they are signed to a major label but I'm not sure. Would it be okay to do this if I only left it up for a few days?

As long as you specify that it's a cover song. I made the mistake of posting a cover once without specifically stating that it was a cover...not fun.

You will be breaking the law, technically. But I doubt that anyone is going to "turn you in" unless you claim that it's your own song.

Give credit where credit is do and everything is cool. I would really suggest putting more time into your own music though. It's incredibly rewarding.

Slackmaster 2000

Amen brother Slackman!!!

Gosh, it is not like we haven't already heard those cover tunes enough..... :)

Cliff, if you are going to do covers, at least change them beyond reconition like how Judas Priest changed Diamonds And Rust by Joan Biez (I think I spelled that wrong, oh well) Hell, the music was not even in the same key. Rob Halford changed the meledy line about as far as he could.

Just something to think about.

Ed

Back