Can I have feedback on a goofy classic rock type of tune?

JG96

I gotta finish this track by Wednesday so hopefully 'yall can give me some feedback soon. This is a track I did with my band a couple months back. I'm thinking of overdubbing the bass as there was some fret buzz when we recorded and I also got some fancy new pickups. I would like feedback on the mix mainly but I appreciate any other commentary too!
https://soundcloud.com/josh-govier/bro-sesh-mix-1/s-O8YOS

Last edited:
Sorry about not posting the link! Now I feel dumb. I suppose i'll blame it on my 5 hours of sleep last night.

Bass drum is almost MIA.
Things are dense and crowded when the whole band is playing.
The lead guitar isn't quite right.
The distorted guitar sounds dreadful.
Goofy maybe the panning of vocals doesn't quite work - one seems up left & the othr down right.
Too close to Teenage Dirtbag for my liking.
I think you have the elements but rerecording some guitars seems more important than redoing the bass.

I pretty much agree with Ray's comments. The cleanish guitars are cool to me. The bass seems fine. The vocals and overdriven guitars are harsh. The reverb is dreadful to me. Get the drums better. More punchy. Redo the overdriven guitars. Smooth out the vocals.

Yeah I think for the first time in a while I have a mix with too much verb. The snare tone has been difficult for me. Its weird because its a maple drum it should have more snap!

Here is a new mix. I made some changes to the reverb busses and used less reverb and changed the eq on the guitar tracks the vocal tracks and the snare track. I also added parallel compression to the snare. Greg I'm curious as to what you mean by smooting out the vocals. I assume automation which I added a bit of. I don't see the teenage dirtbag thing at all except maybe the iron maiden reference. Maybe the nasal sounding vocals and the dynamic changes.
Bro Sesh Mix 2 by Josh Govier on SoundCloud - Hear the world

I dunno, I guess I mean the vocals sound midrangey and small. The performance is nasal and has no girth. No fullness. It's like whoever singing is singing through their nose and the key is way too high for their range. They're struggling and thinning out. It's just kind of weak and fratboy sounding. Maybe that's where the "Teenage Dirtbag" reference came from. It sounds like those kind of vocals. Thin, wimpy, pitchy, just not very good. The vocal reverb still sounds terrible to me. It's glassy and really cheap sounding. The stacked vocals during the choruses are unintelligible and the effects don't help any at all. I think you overthought and overcooked the mix. I don't see why such a simple song and mix would need all the tricks and processing you laid on it. The drums do sound better in the second mix, so nice work there.

I get what your saying there. My bandmates who are singing wrote the song when they were 15 and now we are all 18 so that may be part of the struggle. Maybe I'll bring down the more pitchy singer in the chorus and whip out my hardware reverb (Lex PCM60) on the singing and see if i can get a better sound.

Back