Can I get feedback for my first recording?

Woodnote

Greetings, I recently set up my home studio and plan on recording quite often. I, to an extent, know my stuff when it comes to the basics of recording. However, I would like some feedback on this demo that I've worked on and gotten a rough idea for.

I played and recorded everything by myself in about 4 hours (most of which was spent getting the drums to keep the beat adequately.

Drums- I cannot play drums to save my life, therefore the consistency is severely lacking. Also the kit I currently have isn't all that great.

Vocals- I can sing OK, but whenever a mic enters the equation I kind of forget how to. So there is not much control in my voice, so I compressed it maybe more than necessary. But overall I think that the vocals sounded real good, and in turn are the strongest sounding element in the track.

Bass- I just quickly recorded the bass track and didn't really pay attention to tone or anything. I just wanted to get a rough idea, so it's a little too dynamic and patchy.

Anyway, any feedback/criticism on the track would be greatly appreciated. Please feel no hesitancy in being as harsh as you feel the need to. I need constructive criticism, not unfounded inflation of confidence.

Here's the link to the track: wwwdotsoundclouddotcom/woodnote-studio/drowning-demo

(I had to put 2 spaces there, because they wouldn't let me post a full url.)

heres the link

Drowning Demo by Woodnote Studio on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

very nice little tune..

For a first recording im giving it a 10/10 well done mate...

there are some small timing issues and the kick does sound a boxy, the snare also lacks crispness....the keys are too low bring them up into the mix...I think the bass and kick are canceling each other out a bit, try EQing them into their own space...I also think think the vocals could do with some, or more, compression..or some automation on the volume as its a little uneven at parts

but these are just tweaks..I still think for a first recording, or second/third/forth etc, this is very good

welcome aboard :)

Sounds good for a first recording - kcearl's advice is solid. I don't quite understand why you point out your own shortcomings then post it here asking for mixing advice. I would fix the problems you hear first, then post what you think is your best effort. Of course you will get a variety of opinions and recommendations but you should start out with your best effort. Don't take that as criticism of what you've done - I like what I hear in a general sense - just a bit of advice.... I think it would be great if you rebuilt this and we can compare before and after....

Back