Can i get feedback on my first mix recording?

calltheriot

Hej, i'm trying to record some songs from my band and this is sort of my first attempt. I would love it if you guys could give me some feedback and tips on how to improve it.

The drums are done in EZdrummer. I recorded the guitars with an sm57 and a EVH5150 amp. The bass is done through an sansamp bddi.

View attachment over and over mix.mp3

I think the guitars are using too much gain. They're all distortion and there is no punch to them. The mix as a whole is lacking in dynamics. For example, when the drums first kick in there is no real impact - no burst of energy. Just kind of floppy sounding.

The kick is dominating the low end. It is tough to hear the bass over it.

You need to listen closely to the lead vocal performance. Lot's of pitch issues.

The mix is missing some high end. There is a general muffled-ness to the sound.

Well it's not that good sounding, not entirely bad, but not great either. We've all started in the same way you are. You can never spend enough time on the vocals. They are very pitchy and unflattering. You might not hear it yet because we tend to get too involved in our own music and then listen to it too many times. We end up thinking it sounds great, but it really doesn't. Where you're at now is going to take a lot of learning. Instead of telling you some things to do I would suggest watching some videos on youtube or taking an online course for recording and music production.

The vocals sound far away, try drying them a bit and compress them
The drums are weak
Put some autotune on the vocals, and add harmonics to the vocals in certain places

I would make it a bit faster, maybe 2 bpm faster

I would highly suggest compressing the vocals quite a lot, and trying some LCR panning to get a cleaner sounding mix, there is little separation

The rhythm guitars are definitely all distortion and no tone. "Less distortion is more" when it comes to recording electric guitars. Really can't hear the bass at all. Other than the kick, the drums are lost in all the guitar distortion.

Back