Camel Comm. Softdance remix #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm listening right now

apears to a bit bas heavy
not only to much bas guitar but a overal boomy-nis

1. put the bas guitar a few db down
2. cut a bit lowmid (200-300 hz) from the bas drum and ad a bit hi mid (2k hz)
3. i think a hear some percussion, sounds verry dull
4. snaredrum a bit up, maybe a bit brighter
5 maybe ad a tad compression and verb to the vocal

the guitar and Sax are ok

remco

Listened to this (on headphones) a few times.....this mix is better.

I think the vocals need some super fine tuning to bring them up in the first verse - they are just a tiny bit lower than the rest of the song (and I mean tiny). I have to listen more closely to understand the lyrics there, while it's easier to make them out later. It's so close though so maybe it's just me....

The two rhythm guitars are blending really well in the two channels and volume is good.

I like the drums where they are (level wise) though some would say bring them up a bit. I find they carry without being too obtrusive. I do like the toms you have going - they sound like bongos maybe.... Also like the crashes you have.

The levels on the guitar and sax breaks are just right - just sort of slide nicely into the mix.

The interlude is better with the emphasis on the single guitar - and has a nice offset of the quieter second guitar.

That bass guitar has a really nice tone to it and continues to be one of my favorite parts of all your tunes...

This mix has come together quite well....

:D :) :D :) :D

Hi Folks & Thanks!
I gave it 4 listens before touching anything, 2 with & 2 without h'phones.
I've lifted the ride a tiny bit & the 1st verse vox also. I toyed with a different voice on the 2nd guitar in the change but gave up as it was too different.
I thought long & hard about the bass guitar. I tried a couple of things but ended staying as was - primarily as any change caused a significant displacement in the mix - it sits where it is due to EQ carving to give it a voice any tweaking made it alsmost disappear. I also have to own up to being, essentially, a bassist & therefore happy to give it a prominent possie.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4072258&q=hi

The drums are a prob. I had to EQ away some additional percussion that exists on the original, mono, drum track. That would be why there is some buried perc. deep down if you dig. I can't really change the drum EQ anymore without bringing back some very unpleasant stuff - I do need a real drummer on ALLLLLL my stuff.
I'm amazed at the results with the British Crunch & British O/drive processing of the guitars. My collaborator, Terry, REALLY likes it. I'm still a little afraid of them I guess as I keep feeling an urge to click over to the clean guitar tracks. The clean ones certainly don't DRIVE the song the way the two current ones do.
Again thanks Camel Comm. If I've stuffed up let me know.

Last edited:
RayC - the vocal levels are great now. They sound level throughout the verses and chorus'. BTW - are you using a compressor on the vocals or is this all fader riding? However, you've done a great job IMO following this through the various versions.

Everything else is good as per the previous mix/comments.

Good job on this one.....

ido1957,
Thanks - I rode the faders - we'll automated them anyway. Took bar by bar adjustments with the vox but I'm glad I did as you were right.
Terry's still unhappy as he says he's a off key a few times. I can't hear it anymore - sounds normal now.
Cheers & THANKS to all Camel Comm. Contributors. You've guided m really well yet again. &, yet agian, the camel came out as a useful animal - not the horse as nature intended but still a fine dromadery. I'll keep this one as is until such time as I can get a drummer involved.

Cool song...mix is pretty good. Bass seems to be a bit loud....drowns out a few other spots. Maybe compress it a bit, or drop it a few db. It seems to hide the vox in a few spots. Almost sits on top of the song.

Other than that, progressing nicely man....

The mix is better. :)

The bass is still a little overpowering. I'd also recommend lowering the dist. guitar behind the sax for the sax interval.

Other than that, cool. :)

OK Folks,
I'll bow to pressure re the bass guitar & make an adjustment for the weekend. I'll have to write & record something that can support a prominent bass line. Something like on Ian Hunter's All American Alien Boy LP.
I'll also have a listen re the guitar level behind the solos.

It's not so much about the bassline being heard clearly as it is about the thickness of the bass. In other words it seems to overpower other instruments by being to busy in a wide spectrum. I think if you cut freq. in the low and boost somewhere in the mids or hi-mids you might get away with leaving the volume high but the overall tone in a defined range on EQ. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back