on call

raven46

this one has to be completly redone but i wont get a chance to do it for at another week or so

i did'nt use a click track(i know my bad) and its very evident

there is some weird clip kind of sound most notabily around 0:24 i dont know why its there, i know for sure i did'nt clip when tracking and when i was mixing in acid pro it did'nt clip either but when i rendered the file and opened it in soundforge it was there :confused:

the eletronics on the bass are bad and there is alot of noise

the kick gets lost in the mix

so anyway let me know what ye think

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=708126

You pretty much already mentioned the biggest problems. Also the guitars are kind of harsh and a little too loud. Maybe roll off some of the highs to get them to simmer down some. The vocals sound pretty good, but they're a little roomy. What kind of reverb are you using? And is that a drum machine? The drums fit the song pretty good, just get the timing down. I actually like that thumpy bass sound. The song is good though and has a sort of 80's new-wave vibe to it. Keep working with it.

Is this your first recording?

Greg_L said:
You pretty much already mentioned the biggest problems. Also the guitars are kind of harsh and a little too loud. Maybe roll off some of the highs to get them to simmer down some. The vocals sound pretty good, but they're a little roomy. What kind of reverb are you using? And is that a drum machine? The drums fit the song pretty good, just get the timing down. I actually like that thumpy bass sound. The song is good though and has a sort of 80's new-wave vibe to it. Keep working with it.

Is this your first recording?

thanks man,

no ive been at it about a year now but this is my first cover, usually i just write something on the fly and work with it just to get a better understanding of the recording process and for pratice

i know what you mean about the vocals my room is untreated and its a hard song to sing(for recording) coz i kept having to pull back a lot (some times a couple of feet) from the mic on the higher parts so i think this was my third take, i recorded dry and added the reverb from soundforge it was a rich hall and i pulled it back to 60% of the original sound

its not a drum machine, im not a good drummer but i would love to have a kit,
im using reason drum kit 2 and playing it on my keyboard i should have turned up the kick more but im using a very basic beat the leons drummer has a class beat going, the reverb on the snare is from reason

the guitars were very muddyish when i recorded them so yeah your right i went a little over the top trying to brighten them up, as for the solo i did'nt learn it note for note i just played it on the fly,

the next time im doing this song ill keep what you said in mind

Cheers :)

raven46 said:
thanks man,

no ive been at it about a year now but this is my first cover, usually i just write something on the fly and work with it just to get a better understanding of the recording process and for pratice

i know what you mean about the vocals my room is untreated and its a hard song to sing(for recording) coz i kept having to pull back a lot (some times a couple of feet) from the mic on the higher parts so i think this was my third take, i recorded dry and added the reverb from soundforge it was a rich hall and i pulled it back to 60% of the original sound

its not a drum machine, im not a good drummer but i would love to have a kit,
im using reason drum kit 2 and playing it on my keyboard i should have turned up the kick more but im using a very basic beat the leons drummer has a class beat going, the reverb on the snare is from reason

the guitars were very muddyish when i recorded them so yeah your right i went a little over the top trying to brighten them up, as for the solo i did'nt learn it note for note i just played it on the fly,

the next time im doing this song ill keep what you said in mind

Cheers :)
My room isn't treated either. I'm no singer and don't know shit about anything, but I think if you're having ussues with your vocal projection, learn how to use compression and volume envelopes specifically for vocals. Sure, the best way is to just sing properly, but who the fuck knows how to do that? :p

My vocals usually end up pretty smooth after I've compressed them some and used volume envelopes if necessary. This may not be the right way to do it, but I typically get the quieter vocal parts sitting in the mix halfway decently and squash the louder parts down some with compression. If its way out of hand, I'll start using volume envelopes. I still can't sing, but I've gotten better at my projection, so its not as big a deal as it used to be.

Greg_L said:
My room isn't treated either. I'm no singer and don't know shit about anything, but I think if you're having ussues with your vocal projection, learn how to use compression and volume envelopes specifically for vocals. Sure, the best way is to just sing properly, but who the fuck knows how to do that? :p

My vocals usually end up pretty smooth after I've compressed them some and used volume envelopes if necessary. This may not be the right way to do it, but I typically get the quieter vocal parts sitting in the mix halfway decently and squash the louder parts down some with compression. If its way out of hand, I'll start using volume envelopes. I still can't sing, but I've gotten better at my projection, so its not as big a deal as it used to be.

i have experimented with compression on vocal tracks before but i did'nt use any on this track, i did use some compression on the over all mix, i hav'nt tried using envelopes yet im not sure how to use them

what software are you using

raven46 said:
i have experimented with compression on vocal tracks before but i did'nt use any on this track, i did use some compression on the over all mix, i hav'nt tried using envelopes yet im not sure how to use them

what software are you using
I use simple ol Cubase LE. A volume envelope is simply raising or lowering the volume of a piece of a track manually or through automation. In cubase, you can either draw the automation in, or you can use the scissors tool to snip the track in front of and behind whatever piece you want to alter. You can then manually raise or lower just that little piece on the waveform itself. This way the track plays along seamlessly, but when it hits that spot you altered, it gets louder or quieter without the fader moving at all and then goes back to normal once it gets past it.

Greg_L said:
I use simple ol Cubase LE. A volume envelope is simply raising or lowering the volume of a piece of a track manually or through automation. In cubase, you can either draw the automation in, or you can use the scissors tool to snip the track in front of and behind whatever piece you want to alter. You can then manually raise or lower just that little piece on the waveform itself. This way the track plays along seamlessly, but when it hits that spot you altered, it gets louder or quieter without the fader moving at all and then goes back to normal once it gets past it.

i have cubase aswell but i prefer using acid pro although im going to use cubase next time coz of that clipping that accrued throughout the song, i wish i knew why that was happening

tks for all the info....

Back