California Dreamin' - Heavy Metal Folk!

Nice job!!...you really captured the vibe!...excellent vocals....the little instrumental break was the only thing that didn't fit real well...nice take on an old classic!!

Its all about the vibe!!!

Excellent sound! The harmonies rock, most important in a tune like this, great job!

I kind of missed the eight's feel of the original. It feels a little ohm-pa 1-2.
Anything in the back percussion/rhythms that can be brought forward?
Wayne

Way too overcompressed and distorted for my taste , but maybe that's what you were going for.

You really nailed the harmonies though. I thought they should have been spread a little wider, they seemed bunched together. Also I didn't understand the change in panning on them at around 2:15.

mixsit said:
I kind of missed the eight's feel of the original. It feels a little ohm-pa 1-2.
Anything in the back percussion/rhythms that can be brought forward?
Wayne
I didn't want to be to close to the original.
C

dachay2tnr said:
Way too overcompressed and distorted for my taste , but maybe that's what you were going for.

You really nailed the harmonies though. I thought they should have been spread a little wider, they seemed bunched together. Also I didn't understand the change in panning on them at around 2:15.
Hi,
I was looking for a compressed, heavy tone. Sounds better on CD than Mp3.

Harmonies moved from to left to right abruptly to
1. shock the listener.
2. i had just got a Brian May Replica guitar, so the harmonies were moved to make way for 6 part guitar harmony on the left at the same point in the tune.
Peace,
Carmen

Since you did such a nice arrangement with everything there is only one thing I would change. The trumpet solo is too close to the original. How about a synthetic keyboard horn or a screaming guitar?

nice version.... the only thing I didn't like was the overly auto tuned vocals.. I can't stand that sound and I can't wait for that silly trend to end.. I don't mind AT when you can't actually hear it working. nice job otherwise.. good guitar.. would have been cool if the trumpet solo was a guitar solo..

BTW, that ain't metal.. ;)

I think it's a great concept with a lot of potential. The guitars seemed kinda stiff, like they could flow a little more. The vocal was a little overprocessed for my taste. A contrasting rhythm guitar would probably add a lot. The solo was OK, but seemed timbrically (I don't know if that's a word) non-descript. Overall the recording seemed very good.

Very good job on an old classic. Seems like a tough audience here, but these folks know their stuff. I only know what I like, and I liked Dreamin'.

DigitalSmigital said:
Very good job on an old classic. Seems like a tough audience here, but these folks know their stuff. I only know what I like, and I liked Dreamin'.

Partly, for some of us at least, is that the song already has some fairly deep attachments and expectations. So it easily slips into the 'you either own it, or not!' :D category. :rolleyes:

Interesting take on an old classic, and I really enjoyed it until the solo. I was ready for a a screamer of a guitar solo, and got synthesized trumpet. Fire up the battleaxe and bleed the melody lines for all they're worth!

I agree with others about the trumpet solo - the song's begging for a killer guitar solo or a nice strong-attack synth solo. I also thought that the change in panning of the bg vocals near the end was a bit distracting. Otherwise, I really dug the tune! Sounded great, very tight, and nice take on it!!

I thought it was fantastic, it reminded me a group I used to listen to called The Galactic Cowboys, who blended vocal harmonies with hard rock. I also dug the trumpet solo, but that may be because I'm a fan of the band Cake too.

If it was ok with you, I'd put this up on my own website, with your contact info of course, or website link if you have one.

Back