burnt - first showing

sandwiches

hi, just want to get some opinions on my new song before proceeding. it's called "Burnt" and it's at...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/waiholiu/singles

the vocals is a scratch-versions and i will redo them later, but what i really want opinion on is...

guitar - what do you think of the tone? this is the first time i've recorded using a mic-ed amp, usually i just go straight in and i find that this method gives it a better tone. i also think the subtle effects applied really fit the main riff. do you agree?

bass - i'm not a bassist, but how is the bassline? is it tight? is it too busy? is it clashy? is it muddY?

drums - anything here that needs to be changed?

mix - does it do justice to each of the instrument? any instrument sound too quiet or loud? is the mix in general too loud? i've sorta just quickly hard limited the final mix.

thanks for all those whom listen and reply.

Hey man, that was pretty good!! Your vocals are clean and clear; just needs a bit of hard-@ss emotion & gruff performance-wise.
The Git is banging out some raw-@ss energy and is fits in sweetly with the direction of your jammie(brutha', I was waitin' to hear some screamin-mimi lead work. This joint is BEGGIN' for a hi-energy lead solo!!) The bass is buggin' me out some! While I did enjoy your bass-work, I wasn't really feelin' the sound!
Not so much muddy but more like an out-of-phase, mid-rangy warble! Did you record the bass via amp-mic'ing in a small room or DI'd? The bass could use some eq adjmts (try cutting mid-freqy's by 2-3 dbs and boost bottom around 70hz by same).

Overall, this was joint of yours was nicely done!
Slap in some vocal edge here, a lead solo and adj the bass and you got yourself a winner!

Sandwiches-

The mix seems a little "right heavy", can't really hear the guitar(s) on the left, maybe bring the one on the right down a bit, and raise the left one.

The vocals aren't bad, but like Q mentioned, they could use a little more energy, or something to beef it up a bit. Maybe some bgvocals or something.

Drums-wise, i'm not really digging the hi hat, and i'm not sure if it's the sound, or what's being played. A more straight-forward beat with less going on might sound better for this song (IMO).

The song as a whole sounds really nice - i like the guitar sounds.

Thanks for sharing this!

travis

to misterque and ignition.

firstly, cheers for the input. my recording has come a long way since i first started, and i'm pretty proud of this song so it was good to hear some good comments.

the bass was recorded direct into the computer using a St Audio interface. i agree i do have a long way to go with recording bass. i reckon micing the amp would be the best way to record bass but i don't have an amp.

i did do a little EQing to it, but i pretty much used some EQ articles i read off the net to determine my settings. in this song, for the bass, i boosted 800 and 400 Hz and 1500 Hz range. i might mess around with that to see what happens, when i put in the final mix.

the vocals need improvement. that one was just the first take. i'll sit down and do it all probably, maybe add some bvocals too.

my guitars in this song are actually the same track, being played through different effects, and being panned differently. im hesitant about increasing volume of the left guitar because its being run through an auto wah and i don't want it to be too noticed. im going for that subtle eerieness touch. however, maybe ill pan one of the guitars more to the left, to make the left speaker louder.

since this version, i've also added some distorted guitars in the chorus. i feel there needs to be a bit of power, a bit of dynamics in there. i'll also decided to put some lead work too, not too much, cause i don't want it to distract from the main riff.

Back