Bubbly Mini Tune: "Woke Up This Morning"

Revised Mini Tune: "Woke Up This Morning"

I've listened to this again this morning with fresh ears and as a result, I turned down the vocals, bass and drums. That seems to have taken care of clipping and some other funky things, so give it a listen if you get a chance and let me know if you have any suggestions to:

1. EQ - ( I suck bad at EQ)
2. LEVELS
3. HOW DOES IT SOUND ON YOUR SYSTEM
4. ANYTHING STAND OUT?
5. ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO

Once again, this song is a short 1 minute of happiness recorded with 2 acoustics, vocals, bass, drums and tambourine.

SONG HERE:http://tinyurl.com/yaoo7au

If anyone cares this was the way it was recorded.
All mic'ed instruments (Big Baby Taylor, Larriviee LV-03E, & Voice) path: Shure KSM32 > Presonus Firebox > iMac > Cubase
Bass (Squire P Bass): > SansAmp Bass Driver DI > Presonus Firebox...
Drum Machine (Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-770)

Any Suggestions?

Last edited:
Nice piece.
Reminds me of a few early Harry Nilsson tracks.
Maybe a little definition on the bass (3dB at 3kHz?) is all.
Pretty good capture & mix. the sort of track that would be messed up by too much fussing about.
Good song!

Thanks RAYC! I think i need to possibly revisit a little EQ tweaking on specific tracks, so i appreciate your Bass suggestion. Thanks!

I dig it

Good tune. I like the layered vocals. They give it a lot of life. It kind of has a Jack Johnson feel to it. Relaxing and warm sound to me.

reposted with a new mix

Definitely got that Nillson/John Sebastian/Ricky Nelson vibe going on. Like it! Sounds like you have things reeled in from where it might have been at first; I'm only just hearing it now. No egregious problems, I might make some different mix choices than you did, but I think it's differences in taste, not mistakes on your part. I'm not sure the vox needs doubling, but it's a neat effect...

Nice little ditty!

Really good song. Could use an electric guitar with a relatively clean channel that just accents the chords. Esspecially the two strummed chords right before the song kicks in. Thats where heard them missing the most. That is really just musical choices that are personal though. Sounds really warm to me. I like the vibe of it. Finish the tune! No need to stop now. Great work!

SOUND & VISION: Thanks! I think i need to either retrack one or kill one of them as I do actually get off from time to time...but then again, I kind of like things not quite perfect.

LLARION: Thanks for the feedback. I kind of wanted the vocals to be fuller and sound a bit different than all the other stuff I'm doing on this new CD, so i thought some upfront double vocals might be fun. I still might kill that though.

ONESTU3: I was wondering about thickening up or doubling up the guitars... I might look into that. Your right too.. that opening hit does sound a little weak...hmmm... Thanks for responding!

Ha! John Sebastian indeed!:D

Personally, I like the doubled vox...its a nice contrast to the clean rhythm guitar on the verses. Keep it, I say.:cool:

LLARION: Thanks for the feedback. I kind of wanted the vocals to be fuller and sound a bit different than all the other stuff I'm doing on this new CD, so i thought some upfront double vocals might be fun. I still might kill that though.

Hey man, it worked for Brian Wilson, it can work for you. I only mentioned it at all because it seemed like you wanted to have the two tracks more closely aligned than you got them on the last pass. It's a cool effect; once I wish I could manage myself! :)

yup, nothing but positives on the mix! when i listened the first time i felt like the vocals and snaps were a lil loud but then didn't feel that way the second listen. how many bands for eq do you have? i did some playing around with it on a 20-band and did a gentle roll off starting 56hz and for the high end at 5.1khz. i did a 2db boost at 80, 320, 450 hz and 1.8 khz. i thought it cleaned some things slightly but agree with everyone else when they say it sounds great and doesn't need a lot done. great song!

Back