Brutally honest feedback wanted: rock-mix and house-mix

steffeeH

It would be great to get some feedback on my mixes from some experienced ears.

Don't be afraid to slap me in the face with your critique!

First up is a rocksong I mixed from the "Mix This!"-section (all credits goes to the user "yeah" for making this great song!).
NOTE: the song doesn't sound that good in mono because of the stems I recieved.
View attachment Waiting For Superman - New.mp3

Secondly I made a little house-track that I want critique on.
View attachment house-mix.mp3

Extra: If you want to, you can also give feedback on the mastered house-track.
View attachment house-master.mp3

Thanks.

You're way more likely to get feedback if you give feedback. People here give a lot of time to help, but they generally prioritise those they see helping others.

It is hard for me to give feedback on this style of music. I've done research and have experimented, but IMO, it is more of a test on the floor (a cross between live playing/recorded music). As I can't see people kicking back and listening to this (I could be wrong).

The mix sounds fine on my stereo (thumping bass as intended, but nothing harsh), but I think it has to be tested on a club system as that is probably your intended listening environment. If you can, I suggest asking some club owners to let you listen to the mix on their systems, think there are more reflective surfaces, hence would require your mix to be eq'd different for target play area or you can have two mixes, club and other. I always though this type of music is created as a baseline, then performed more or less live (dial turning and glitching)

There might be others who see it different, but dance music (this style for sure) has a different set of requirements for mixing than many other types of music as it is intended for clubs/dance.

Drums are very punchy and hot, a little too much for my taste. I think it would be less noticeable with warmer/fuller guitars. I dig that you have acoustics thrown in with the distorted guitars but I think they would still have a place, even with a more full bodied guitar tone. (this is in regards to the Superman track)

This has tons of energy and a nice melody, but the drums just dominate too much in a harsh way. There is a point where a really harsh cymbal kills the vocal.

On the surface it seems you are going for an "electro" sound, but that is a bit confused by things like the tom fills which suggest you would also like something a bit more natural.

So I think you need to decide what you want, and either go for a smoother dance drum sound, or go for a more natural drum sound and show a bit more restraint on the cymbals and program in a bit more natural dynamics.

Most people relate to the lyrics and a melody of a song, and you have that here to work on, and your singing seems perfectly competent, so I would go with that as the focus, and make the drums (and the rest) serve.

Back