Brothers In Arms

Haven't heard the original, but, when I first listen to this, it reminded of one of those Roger Waters' solo work. Good job

AL

nice work......at first, i wasn't crazy about the guitar tone, but by the end i kind of liked it.......i do think that the guitar could have a touch more presence in the mix....played very well too.......good singing and production too

Very nice job on this! "Brothers In Arms" is one of my all-time favorite albums....I saw them twice on that tour.

I always wanted to do a re-make of "So Far Away" but I've never gotten around to it! Also would love to try "Setting Me Up" from their first album, but I could never pull that one off.

I absolutely LOVE Mark Knopfler's playing, and your "version" of it here is top-notch. Again, very nicely done.

Hey Tom,
.....Ive never heard the original so i cant comment on the interpretation. Nice tune though. I like you voice like this. You would sing a real nice P.Floyd.... ......there's an idea...... SluiCe does Comfortably Numb :).

Nice job man

Mike

Sluice - I also never heard the original. But I like this. Recording is clean, and I like the "distant" sound of the guitar - fits the mood of the song.

Does the fade end just a little abrubtly? I don't know what program you used for the fade, but I usually find in Wavelab that I need to make 2 or 3 passes on a fade to get it smooth.

Nice work.

All I'd ever heard from DS was the MTV stuff... money for nuthin & sultans of swing...

Song kind of has a folk hymn flavor to it (not "folk" as in Dylan... but folk as in old european village type stuff...)

Excellent mix...

agreeing w/G about the Pink Floyd flava... I'm hearin' it too... I guess it's that guitar... kind of reverse reverb FX on it... fading in w/out attack on the strings... nice.

This song sounds like it has a large soundstage... plenty of space. SLuiCe shoots & scores again...

(now... we wait for fenderlikingood to comment, whom I suspect will want to throw away all his gear again after hearing this :D)

I'm WAY impressed. That's an 012 hanging over the amp? I played with them on amps and never could get anything I liked out ofthem there. Now I have to have another look at 'em there. Great chops my friend.

Thanks for the very kind words despite my jipping the DS fans on the lead sound. :)

Just a couple quick replies and we can let this thread go to make room for others.

Track, I the 012 was on a boom stand about 2 feet above the head 1 foot in front, and angled at the speakers. I think if I had used the other 012 or the 57 with it, I would have come closer. Plus, my amp settings were all wrong for the song. But it was too late by the time I took my phones off and heard it through monitors. I should never have rushed the guitar track, which is to me the most important one. But most of my leads in my last 4-5 projects are done with a 57 and an 012 to a stereo track (I'm gravitating towards two separate tracks for flexibility). The point....I like the 012 on my amp for cleaner tones. I still love the 57 for heavy shit.

Chad- that's not a reverse reverb effect. It's volume swells using the volume knob of the guitar. I used to be able to make it sound like a violin...I should play with that again.

Dachay- Ya the fade-out was one of my lazy acts. Sorry bro. :)

To the rest of ya, thanks for making me feel like it was a worthy excercise!

SLuiCe said:
Chad- that's not a reverse reverb effect. It's volume swells using the volume knob of the guitar. I used to be able to make it sound like a violin...I should play with that again.

It was sweet... good idea, too. Actually... I did the volume knob thing in Lumber, in the opening when the heavy guitars come in... but you're a guitarist... that's the difference :D

c

I was struck right away with how good the singing was. It's really a great Dire Straits song, but its also a great SLuiCe song now!

Truly and enjoyable listen. Thanks

participant said:
All I'd ever heard from DS was the MTV stuff... money for nuthin & sultans of swing...
Chad - do yourself a favor and try to listen to as much Mark Knopfler as you can get your hands on.

SLUICE - Man, I love this song so much - Truly one of my favorite songs of all time; so believe me when I say you did it justice.

you're voice...(when singing a normal melody ... lol) is superb. it's perfect for this. Man, for this one, b/c of the way you did the bg vox, I'm TOTALLY hearing you doing some R. Waters/P.Floyd. I'm not crazy about doing covers either, but MAN...that would be cool.

crit - the lead guit sounds too hollowed out, but I'm so colored by the original that I can't possibly be objective.

Your G.Bush song used a normal melody for at least part of the chorus...I thought it was your best vocal work yet; this song shows a new dimension, so do me a favor...

come over to the bright side... :D :D :D ... "G Major" is a perfectly acceptable key!!

Love it...how the fuck does this not have starz yet????
chris

Back