Bringing back songs from my highschool band...most fun I've had in a while

Chibi Nappa

Here's the deal with these songs: A highschool buddy and former band-mate of mine is moving in a few months. I realized that none of our old highschool songs were recorded (with any type of listenable quality anyway). So I decided that these songs that have laid dead for the past 10 years had to be recorded before he moved and it was too late....needless to say these are all somewhat crude songs with the type of lyrics you'd expect a highschool kid to write. :D

The project has been fun so far. Neither of us has picked up a guitar in any serious capacity for at least 5 years and he changed his singing style (and he never had that much of a voice anyway). So there has been much re-learning on the fly with this project. The good news is that we imported a fantastic drummer (he never heard the songs before and he hit them one-take with minimal explaination) and my recording skills have grown immeasurably since the band last existed.

Anyway, here's a rough mix with scratch vocals of two of the songs. One thing that surprised me was the guitar tones we were able to get. We both showed up at the recording session and discovered that neither of us owned any type of guitar distortion pedal anymore. As an act of desparation, I used the amp simulator in my Roland VS2480. We ran the sound out to a Marshal cabinet so it could be picked up with real microphones and not sound too fake. Damn if I wasn't impressed with the results. I guess amp sims are usefull afterall. :)

By the way, these songs are happiest when they're played LOUD. :D

Missinformed

By Myself

distortedrumble said:
....teenage angst LOL
What's even funnier is teenage angst coming from a mellowed out overweight 28 year old corporate type guy....but he was skinny and angst-filled when he wrote the stuff 10 years ago. This whole project cracks me up. I love it. Nostalgia can be a great thing. :D

thats pretty funny, 28 year old singing a 18 year olds song, not bad either. :)

for some reason, reminds me a little of "Old School" :)

Back