Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The bringer of old age

Thanks

The bringer of old age

Sign in to disable this ad
    A work in progress.

The final version will be ernomous, possibly the biggest recording in HR history. I am looking for any ideas as to where to take this monstrosity. Any feedback is sorely needed. Play this sucker loud, it will be a lot louder in the final version.

Music originally by Holst until I ruined it. It's a whopper.

The bringer of old age

Thanks
    Mmmm, planets . . . ohoahahaohaohaoahoahah

I think I would like a windier-sounding patch playing the repeating figure.

I like the clock, nice addition. Ah, I see you gave it the full Pink Floyd treatment! Very nice! Is there a heartbeat in there too? How about some footsteps and a scream

Before the loud part it gets kinda too synthy sounding for me, like around 3:00 or so. Needs more fiddle, how about a mournful melody to presage death?

Hmmm, skimming now . . . the ending is very nice. Again I wouldn't mind some solo violin.

Thanks
    Hey, I liked the clock SFX too, but one thing that struck me in a bad way about them is that they seem to enter and exit rather ungracefully or abruptly.... for example the second time the ticking comes in it creates a nice polyrhythm at first, but then drifts out of time by the end... just my 2c on one thing that jumped out.
    On an (un)related note - man, you can really shred that fiddle!!!

Thanks
    Thanks for checkin it out, ye recording brethren.

I think I would like a windier-sounding patch playing the repeating figure.
    Windier? More imitative of woodwinds? Breathier?

Ah, I see you gave it the full Pink Floyd treatment! Very nice!
    My idea is to give the entire 9 minutes the Pink Floyd treatment. The "imitative" synths arent working, my idea is to make it much more abstract.

Hey, I liked the clock SFX too, but one thing that struck me in a bad way about them is that they seem to enter and exit rather ungracefully or abruptly....
    I put the ticking clocks in as place holders, HOPEFULLy to show where the "real" clocks will go. Its a bitch to line up tempos, they are merely samples. I will try to do something that makes a lil more sense.

The piece has a lot of possibilities as a "crossover" orchestra-pink floyd hybrid. I will experiment with more abstract versions as I put this together. It was a nightmare to bring it this far, the rest should be easier.

On an (un)related note - man, you can really shred that fiddle!!!
    Thanks

Thanks
    This is cool....kind of an epic, and ominous sound. Very dramatic. Definitely a movie piece. The buildup is very good with the suspense.
    I got no ideas, but thought it was cool. Sort of chaotic at the end. Really built up images in my mind as it went along. Good piece man.
    Ed
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Another excellent piece of music DavidK. Pretty hot for a work in progress. It is full of interesting synth tones/lines. I too noticed the ticking is a bit off in time, but you've already mentioned that it will be replaced. The synth tones are really high quality - can you refresh my memory on what you're using? The violin tone is exceptional - I'd have no problem with more of it in this piece. Looking forward to more....

Thanks
    Thanks again for checkin this out and the comments fellers. I have done a lot of revisions and there are a lot to come:

Beefed up the violins
    Changed some patches
    Added missing parts

I am taking out the ticking clocks. The loud clocks in the middle will stay, albeit they will be timed better. The whole piece IS a clock, I think I misjudged my target audience and thought I had to prove that with the ticking in the softer parts. If they are buying MY weirdness, they surely can figure out its a clock

Hopefully, this will have a LOT more drama when it is done, it already has more with the revisions. I will post another version in a week or so.

The synth tones are really high quality - can you refresh my memory on what you're using?
    Roland JV1010, $350. Its a nice and inexpensive lil module if you layer a lot of sounds, which is what I always do. Every patch is usually 3 patches blended together.

Thanks
    As a fan of Holst - Planet Suite since 1970 I'll be checking this out for sure

Thanks
    interesting take... thanks

did you ever hear Isao Tomita's version?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK
    Thanks again for checkin this out and the comments fellers. I have done a lot of revisions and there are a lot to come:

Beefed up the violins
    Changed some patches
    Added missing parts
    Looking forward to some more of your violin on this. The tone on this one really sounds great. (Then again it's always great...)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidK
    Roland JV1010, $350. Its a nice and inexpensive lil module if you layer a lot of sounds, which is what I always do. Every patch is usually 3 patches blended together.
    Would've thought it was a Triton or something equally as expensive. Nice job on those tones.....

Looking forward to the revisions....

Thread Information