Breathe Deep While The Spores Are Fresh

drstawl

Banned
I guess Halloween came a little early for me this year.

Nothin' like anthrax snail mail to get the season going right.

I have two versions (192mp3 and 64K mp3pro) up at:

http://cloud.prohosting.com/~drstall

It's the "Something Growing in my Lungs" tune.

Second cat on your left.

OH- Yeah- are there any links not working? I thought I'd proofed this booger from top to bottom but you know how that goes....

Last edited:
Ahhh…fresh spores wafting through my nostrils…there’s nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning…am I Ken Kesey or Robert Duvall…I’ve forgotten, long ago…peace, grasshoppah…

Maybe I should post instructions on that page instead of useless pictures of useless kittens.... naahhhh.

Oh yeah- don't be scared by the files. The 64Kbps versions rock even without the proprietary RCA player. Winamp is fine.

*The file is 963KB.*

The way these links work: shit, Monty if anyone knew their way around links I'd have expected it to be you. Oh well. :)

Instead of the normal choice of left-clicking and opening a viewer or right-clicking and getting a dialog to "Save As" you have no choice. You left click the link, then quickly click on the ad banner. By the time the ad banner responds and you close it, or read it, your choice, a dialog comes up similar to the standard Windows "Save As" script and you're on your way to these files.

Welcome to Hard Times in the Dot Com World. Just a scramble to still be able to offer something trivial enough to be supported by advertiser revenue while remaining useful enough and unintrusive enough to fly with the users.

Whattaya want for 50 MB of free storage? They generally spit it out at 60 KB/ second or whatever your system supports up to that rate. And other than the discouraging D/L interface, it's pretty much free-form on any HTML files you wanna store and reference. Unlike the horde of funky file storage sites I've tried.

Last edited:
Drstawl,

It would seem you have some web savy.
Cool instumental. The first thing that came to my mind was that this piece need some spoken word with it. A witty and lethal mesh of Tom Waits/Jack Kerouac/James Douglas Morrison laying down the theme and nuance.

Just a thought.

This was hauntingly inspiring.

Theron.

theron: Thanks for the review and the suggestion.

Once again my choice of Storage Location has become a bigger issue than the music itself, which has plenty of its own issues.

>Instead of the normal choice of left-clicking and opening a viewer or right-clicking and getting a dialog to "Save As" you >have no choice. You left click the link, then quickly click on the ad banner. By the time the ad banner responds and you close it, or >read it, your choice, a dialog comes up similar to the standard Windows "Save As" script and you're on your way to these files.

Tell me if you're gettin' jacked around. From where I sit this is flawless service with an annoying price.

Doc, I can't get this to download. I click the link and am taken to the advertisement page that says, "click this link to continue your download" or whatever. I click that link and nothing happens...wait, I take that back, something does happen...it reloads that same exact page! Right clicking the links and doing a "save target as" just tries to save the advertisement page.

I even cut the following link out of the source, and it still takes me to that ad page:

Don't know what's up...it's obviously some server trickery....I doubt that it's a browser incompatibility; I'm using IE5 SP2.

Slackmaster 2000

Slack- thanks for giving it a shot.

I just clicked on the link you embedded in your reply and the "Save As" dialog box came up immediately. I didn't even have to click on their ad. I don't know what's up. Why would they bother to filter URL addresses to exclude users not from this area? I'm on a system not identified with the computer I signed up with, also using IE 5.5; (5.5.4143.0060IC)

I suspect a cookies issue. Just like you can get weird results from this board when cookies are disabled.

Fricking awesome little part there at 1:06!!!!!! Oh and a great bit there at 1:30! At first I wasn't too crazy about this one, but then the entire piece after about 1:00 is just really cool, and listening again I now like the first minute better. Very halloweenie in an almost traditional sort of way.

Good work doc!

You know I was listening to college radio the other day and they were playing some stuff by somebody that sounded a LOT like your stuff, but with expensive analog synths and shit. The feeling I got from the DJ was that he was a pretty important guy at least in his realm of music. In my naivetyI thought only you did this kind of music...are there many others?

BTW, when I right click on the link I posted to your song above, and do save target as; yes the little save as box comes right up, but look at the document it tries to save... O151d_192.htm - the ad page. Got it fine from your home.net account though. I'm sick of trying nowhereradio so I didn't...

Slackmaster 2000

> The feeling I got from the DJ was that he was a pretty important guy at least in his realm of music. In my naivetyI thought only you did this kind of music...are there many others?

I don't know. I'm intrigued. Someone else doing this stuff? Send me any info you have.
I'm curious (hanging out with a bunch of cats will get you that way) about what this sounds like.

I'm still in search of a Sequential Circuits Pro-1 analog synth that still works!
Quite a tasty little board.

And though Waldo was warning off users due to his server's power problems. it WAS working yesterday and today.

I've written the prohosting folks but gotten no response so far.

There seem to be several levels of service being made available to people accessing the site depending on their location. That's some wild shit.

Hi Doc,
Managed to get MOST of your tune the other day. Indeed Halloweenie -
I always enjoy listening to your work but... I always end up thinking about cats for some reason.
:confused:

Atonal harpsichord plus cello = danse macabre.

When the arhythmic stuff stops for a bit around 1.10, the piece gets really powerful because it's suddenly all in the groove. Very interesting way to create a strong rhythm.

I'm not sure why, but I like the sound you got on this one a lot.

Dude, start registering the copyright for this stuff with the Library of Congress, set up your own publishing company, get yourself an agent (Taxi?) and start flogging this stuff to the people who put movie soundtracks together. Your stuff's a gift to a soundtrack editor. Really. For one thing, many of your pieces are short. They're very atmospheric also. Finally, because the architecture of your stuff is what I call 'linear mutation' (no big structurally repeating bits), it's dead simple to use a segment or portion only of your pieces for them to work.

Whatsamatteryou? Can't handle fame and fortune? :D

ps I couldn't get this one until you put it up at Nowhere.

Cool, doc ;)

I feel as though I was temporarily transported into "The Twilight Zone".

I really liked that part @ around 1:34, where it sounds like pizzicato strings.... nice! :)

Buck

Dude...How do you evn begin to write something like this?:confused:

It's strange but yet calming..in a strange sort of way.

I liked the tune..but didn't like the off time notes you threw in there.

Good tune otherwise....

drstawl, that was really cool! It had a mysterious quality and made me think of background music for an Alfred Hitchcock type of movie.

t

jitteringjim: NowhereRadio seems to be the most reliable site, although many have been able to access the other sites as well. The association is probably founded on the perfunctory black cats you see on Halloween decorations.

dobro- Thanks for your encouraging words. I actually have a semi-distant relation that does this for a living. From what I gleaned from our conversations, my stuff would be useful only for the ballsier producer crowd: read- low budget, no distribution film makers. But I'm hoping you'll get the last laugh here!

buck62: Thanks. Yes, the T-zone was pretty much the flavor I was going for.
Probably because I live there. That's what it sounds like inside my head. :)

brokenwindow: I'm not sure which notes you felt were "off time" as there are several rhythmic things going on simultaneously that don't always (purposely) sync up. As to how it's done: Some of it is written directly into the staff view of CW, the rest is "played" at half speed on a Yamaha kybd. Then it's back to the staff view to fix any mistakes.

langleyt: Yes- sometimes this mood is going on in Hitchcock productions/directions.

Man......This first minute was totally what I would have expected out of you. But from 1:06 on......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't expecting such tradition in the phrasing's.

Again, this is great stuff doc. You have no idea how much respect I have for you. You do this because it is what you like to do, NOT because you think some 13 year old boy/girl will buy it. Your stuff lacks presumption!!! :D

Ed

Back