'Breathe' ..appreciate any observations re mix. Thanks.

It did rather prove that a MacBook is a poor choice to listen to this genre of music on. It does rely very heavily on having a good bottom end. Most of the bass stuff is just the clicks and up the neck stuff. I was, however interested enough to take it into the studio and quite like it - it's quite clever.

Excellent. Very tight performance all around. No quibbles about the sound in general. Everything sits nicely both tonally and in space. If I HAD to change anything I think I might raise the main vocal a db or 2. No EQ changes needed. Thanks for the listen.

It did rather prove that a MacBook is a poor choice to listen to this genre of music on. It does rely very heavily on having a good bottom end. Most of the bass stuff is just the clicks and up the neck stuff. I was, however interested enough to take it into the studio and quite like it - it's quite clever.

Thanks for going through the trouble, Rob. Yeah, trying to build the music around just the bass guitar has presented a lot of challenges both in the mix and in tone choices. Writing this way feels natural, but recording , ..not so much. Thanks again.

Excellent. Very tight performance all around. No quibbles about the sound in general. Everything sits nicely both tonally and in space. If I HAD to change anything I think I might raise the main vocal a db or 2. No EQ changes needed. Thanks for the listen.

Thanks for listening Mickster. I agree re. vocal. My fear is that the high end transients will stick out too much. I am compressed and eq’d ok, but I can’t find the “right” limiter (?) in my arsenal to control those correctly. Tips are appreciated.

Thanks for listening Mickster. I agree re. vocal. My fear is that the high end transients will stick out too much. I am compressed and eq’d ok, but I can’t find the “right” limiter (?) in my arsenal to control those correctly. Tips are appreciated.

Not sure what limiter you might be using but it doesn't seem to me that the upper transients will pop out that much with a small vocal vol increase. Even if that happens....I think it might actually add to the vocal color. You don't need much of an increase.......try it in very small increments.

Reactions: RFR
Click on "Brother" at 0:32

The big thing that's sticking out to me is that the lead vox are very close and loud relative to bgvox.

Ooh! I like the hard-panned "breathes" at 1:47.

I like where the song ends up. A lot of cool interplay between parts. It takes a while to get going tho. If you're still mulling over arrangement, I might trim down the first verses a little.

Mix wise, other than aforementioned vocal balance, it seems pretty solid. Everything seems to sit ok.

Good clarity. Sounds very polished on these headphones. For a drum and 2 bass bed, it's not at all bottom heavy. The kick is cutting through nicely but could use more weight imo - plenty of room down there. Nice job

Great - agree with what's been said - the main vocal could go up a dB or 2 - about half way through it seems to do that anyway - also backing vocals could go up a tad level or maybe eq +2/3 dB around 2khz. Re limiter it all sounds good to me - is it a de-esser you're thinking about.
Great professional, unusual, original sound with some nice touches in the mix , nice coherent stereo stage

Good clarity. Sounds very polished on these headphones. For a drum and 2 bass bed, it's not at all bottom heavy. The kick is cutting through nicely but could use more weight imo - plenty of room down there. Nice job
. ..good tip re low end on the kick. Thanks, gonna mess with that.

Great - agree with what's been said - the main vocal could go up a dB or 2 - about half way through it seems to do that anyway - also backing vocals could go up a tad level or maybe eq +2/3 dB around 2khz. Re limiter it all sounds good to me - is it a de-esser you're thinking about.
Great professional, unusual, original sound with some nice touches in the mix , nice coherent stereo stage
..re de-esser, i’m afraid that will take away from the high end of the EQ which I do not want to do. I’ll give it a try though. My best bet might be to just hack peaks off of the wav. I’m new to reaper (this), Will try that when I figure out how. Thanks!

Super cool idea and overall mix sounds solid. Only critique might be the drums could sound a bit wetter. The bass is adequate, but I kept envisioning how much cooler a more aggressive, perhaps even slap bass part would sound.

Super cool idea and overall mix sounds solid. Only critique might be the drums could sound a bit wetter. The bass is adequate, but I kept envisioning how much cooler a more aggressive, perhaps even slap bass part would sound.

Thanks Stevie, ...it wrote itself and is what it is.��. Probably right re wetter drums, I might mess with that when I revisit this. Kinda burned out on it now, and off to other things.

maybe a bit of distortion/fuzz on the upper bass line. Do you have any harmonic enhancer/distortion plug in on the voice? If not you might add in just a touch not enough to be noticed but, it might put the vocal right where it should sit.

Agreed, lead vocal up 2db in first half of the song. I'd put reverb on those "Ooohs" and lower them they sound awkward. Everything else sounds great, very unique tune !

Back