Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Breathe' ..appreciate any observations re mix. Thanks.

In a world full of chimpanzees I was a monkey
    Thanks

'Breathe' ..appreciate any observations re mix. Thanks.

Sign in to disable this ad
    ...This is a part of an 'all bass' project, intended to be played live by 2 bass players and a drummer that sing. ...Any input re mix is much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    It did rather prove that a MacBook is a poor choice to listen to this genre of music on. It does rely very heavily on having a good bottom end. Most of the bass stuff is just the clicks and up the neck stuff. I was, however interested enough to take it into the studio and quite like it - it's quite clever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Excellent. Very tight performance all around. No quibbles about the sound in general. Everything sits nicely both tonally and in space. If I HAD to change anything I think I might raise the main vocal a db or 2. No EQ changes needed. Thanks for the listen.
    Just A Song Writer..........

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    It did rather prove that a MacBook is a poor choice to listen to this genre of music on. It does rely very heavily on having a good bottom end. Most of the bass stuff is just the clicks and up the neck stuff. I was, however interested enough to take it into the studio and quite like it - it's quite clever.
    Thanks for going through the trouble, Rob. Yeah, trying to build the music around just the bass guitar has presented a lot of challenges both in the mix and in tone choices. Writing this way feels natural, but recording , ..not so much. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Excellent. Very tight performance all around. No quibbles about the sound in general. Everything sits nicely both tonally and in space. If I HAD to change anything I think I might raise the main vocal a db or 2. No EQ changes needed. Thanks for the listen.
    Thanks for listening Mickster. I agree re. vocal. My fear is that the high end transients will stick out too much. I am compressed and eq’d ok, but I can’t find the “right” limiter (?) in my arsenal to control those correctly. Tips are appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guernica View Post
    Thanks for listening Mickster. I agree re. vocal. My fear is that the high end transients will stick out too much. I am compressed and eq’d ok, but I can’t find the “right” limiter (?) in my arsenal to control those correctly. Tips are appreciated.
    Not sure what limiter you might be using but it doesn't seem to me that the upper transients will pop out that much with a small vocal vol increase. Even if that happens....I think it might actually add to the vocal color. You don't need much of an increase.......try it in very small increments.
    Just A Song Writer..........

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Click on "Brother" at 0:32

The big thing that's sticking out to me is that the lead vox are very close and loud relative to bgvox.

Ooh! I like the hard-panned "breathes" at 1:47.

I like where the song ends up. A lot of cool interplay between parts. It takes a while to get going tho. If you're still mulling over arrangement, I might trim down the first verses a little.

Mix wise, other than aforementioned vocal balance, it seems pretty solid. Everything seems to sit ok.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good clarity. Sounds very polished on these headphones. For a drum and 2 bass bed, it's not at all bottom heavy. The kick is cutting through nicely but could use more weight imo - plenty of room down there. Nice job

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulls Hit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great - agree with what's been said - the main vocal could go up a dB or 2 - about half way through it seems to do that anyway - also backing vocals could go up a tad level or maybe eq +2/3 dB around 2khz. Re limiter it all sounds good to me - is it a de-esser you're thinking about.
    Great professional, unusual, original sound with some nice touches in the mix , nice coherent stereo stage

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
    Good clarity. Sounds very polished on these headphones. For a drum and 2 bass bed, it's not at all bottom heavy. The kick is cutting through nicely but could use more weight imo - plenty of room down there. Nice job
    . ..good tip re low end on the kick. Thanks, gonna mess with that.

Thread Information