Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Breathe

Thanks

Breathe

Sign in to disable this ad
    My cousin and I had a recording session tonight, and I would appreciate any opinions and/or advice. It is an acoustic cover of an Alexi Murdoch-song called "Breathe".

When the world slips you a jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Thanks
    It's lovely. The hand drum part is almost tight enough. You might either redo it or edit some of the hits to nudge them onto the beat.

There's background noise that you should cut too.

Can you bring out the backing vocal more? EQ? Maybe pan it closer to the center vocal?
    Last edited by dobro; 07-31-2013 at 19:19.

Thanks
    Great suggestions, dobro. Thanks, I will do some editing on the handdrum as well panning the background vocals closer to center, which will give them more volume.

Another thing, when I'm listening to the track with a certain type of headphones it seems a bit distorted. I do not hear this through monitors or any other sound system (I tried 3 different ones). Anyone else hear any clipping? If so, fortunately it is probably from the last stages of the process, namely the master compression, which was done in a hurry. It could easily be corrected if it is in fact clipping.

Thanks
    I listened with my cans on my head, not ears, while I read. I thought it sounded like John Mayer. The feeling did not disturb my reading, so I say it's good.

Thanks
    Sounds pretty good. I like the reverb used, but it is a little boomy on my set up.

Yes, I too thought the lead vocal pushed it level-wise, but not 100% sure if I hear clipping or not...it seems close to it anyway.

Are those new strings on the guitar? The crispy. metallic tone of new strings seems to come through. It almost has that DI tone, but then the verb on it is pretty convincing...was it mic'ed?

Good vocal performance, but I might drop it back just a tad? I agree with dobro on the percussion. It's close, but there are some stray hits here and there that detracted for me.

Don't know the tune and it isn't so much my kind of thing, but I thought you did really well with this. Thanks.

Thanks
    Oh, and I also checked "three ounces please" on your page and enjoyed that one quite a bit.

Thanks
    What an intriguing title. Now I'm going to have to go listen to it to see if it's as naughty as it sounds.

Thanks
    Sounds like something you might come up with, Heat.

You know, I'm really enjoying some of the stuff I hear here and on Soundcloud and on Bandcamp these days. It's sort of like home recording has arrived. What's interesting is that you hear all sorts of stuff at all sorts of levels - it's not all cleaned up and pristine like the recording industry makes things. It's got stuff with warts and stuff that's broken and stuff where people are breaking the rules and stuff where people don't even know the fucking rules. I like that kind of... soup, especially when occasionally some excellent music breaks through. Feels real.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Sounds pretty good. I like the reverb used, but it is a little boomy on my set up.

Yes, I too thought the lead vocal pushed it level-wise, but not 100% sure if I hear clipping or not...it seems close to it anyway.

Are those new strings on the guitar? The crispy. metallic tone of new strings seems to come through. It almost has that DI tone, but then the verb on it is pretty convincing...was it mic'ed?

Good vocal performance, but I might drop it back just a tad? I agree with dobro on the percussion. It's close, but there are some stray hits here and there that detracted for me.

Don't know the tune and it isn't so much my kind of thing, but I thought you did really well with this. Thanks.
    Hey thanks for taking the time. The boomyness is part of what worries me in addition to the possible clipping. It sounds good on my monitors, but have a huge drop at about 60-70Hz and I compensate with a very inaccurate subwoofer which makes the low-end pretty hard to evaluate. I think the guitar track (which is indeed DI with about 5% wet lexicon hall reverb) might be conflicting a bit with the bass track, making it boomy, but wherever I try to cut it sounds worse.
    Last edited by dainbramage; 07-31-2013 at 16:33.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Oh, and I also checked "three ounces please" on your page and enjoyed that one quite a bit.
    Thanks! I checked out your stuff on Soundcloud, its brilliant and very varied. Your newest song along with "Drift" were my favourites, which I'm sure is not the case for everyone but those really caught my attention.

Thread Information