Brand new song - thoughts on the mix ?

bigmahon

Still learning
Hi gang,

I worked pretty hard on this song the last couple of days, and would appreciate your thoughts on the mix. It's called "(I Won't) Run Away". Link below.

(I Won't) Run Away

Cheers,

Chris

I don't know what you used for the drums, but they sound ultra-compressed and unnatural - specifically the snare. Given the rest of the song, maybe you want that sound. I love the wild guitar and bass tones. I'm not crazy about the song. It's way long and repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere or do anything. Not a bad mix though. :)

Vocals sound tremendous - just like the last track of yours I heard.

Yes, the drums sound odd, but I think they kind of fit this piece. More variation or a momentary break from the relentless beat might be nice. I love the crazy effect-laden sounds you have here, but at times they build up to the point of creating a lo-mid logjam of sorts sonically-speaking.

Anyway, I could be way off - not listening on nice monitors in a treated environment or anything...just offering some thoughts. All around - well done :D.

Cool song... But it does get a little repetitive...

Harmonies seem a little pitchy during the first part of the first chorus...

I'm a fan of big compression drums sounds (think Barriemore Barlow's drums on Tull's Bursting Out Live) but yours almost sound like an effect... Fits the song I suppose and if that's where you were going, you nailed it :)

Hey gang, thanks for the comments so far! :)

Life Rise, thanks for listening. I don't know too much about mixing either! ;)

14yearoldkid, hey! My setup is super simple. Cubase on an iMac, a firewire interface, a couple of decent mics and an Electro Harmonix 12ay7 mic pre. And some nice plug-ins. :D

Greg_L, thanks for checking out the song. I agree that it's too long, and intend to fix that ASAP.

heatmiser, useful comments as always. Thanks! Glad you liked the vocals. Not bad for one take. I'll clean them up later. :)

BentRabbit, thanks very much for taking the time to comment. I don't hear the pitchiness, but I am basically tone deaf, so... ;)

Any other comments?

I find that the drums kind of fit into the style of the song. What it needs is a bit more dynamic, you've got that trippy lead riff going almost all the way thru. I'd cut it out in parts, because it tends to tire the ears. The song is very good IMHO, it's got a great hook-line. The voice sounds great, lots of character. In all, a nice job and an interesting sound.

Joey :):):):)

Thanks joeym, I really like this song too. :cool:

You're right though about tweaking the variation. I was going for a slow, dark and droney feel, but have stretched it out a bit too much. I'm gonna make a few cuts and adds in the next day or two to spice it up a bit. But not too much. ;)

Cheers bro,

Chris

Ok, I made some changes, and cut some dead weight from this song. Took all the compression off the drums, and only left a touch of it on the master. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts regarding the mix at this stage. The song and the performances are pretty much where they are going to stay, so I am focusing now on getting the best mix possible.

Thanks very much. :)

(I Won't) Run Away

Ok, I made some changes, and cut some dead weight from this song. Took all the compression off the drums, and only left a touch of it on the master. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts regarding the mix at this stage. The song and the performances are pretty much where they are going to stay, so I am focusing now on getting the best mix possible.

Thanks very much. :)

(I Won't) Run Away

Cool sounds and cool mood in the tune. You sure you took the compression off the drums??? I didn't hear the earlier version, but I'd hate to think how compressed they were before, because they still sound ultra-compressed. I'm not saying it's terrible because I can see how people would say it sort of suits the tune, but they're definitely compressed a lot. I like the guitar textures a lot, and it's a pretty trippy song. Love the wah guitar especially.

Hey RAMI, thanks for taking the time to listen! :)

I double checked after your post, and there is no effect / dynamic of any kind on the drums. Maybe still too much on the master? :confused:

Hey RAMI, thanks for taking the time to listen! :)

I double checked after your post, and there is no effect / dynamic of any kind on the drums. Maybe still too much on the master? :confused:

Possibly. If the drums are too loud in the rough mix, mastering compression will surely put the squash on them.

I think it's very original and I REALLY like the vibe you've got......BUT I would like to hear a version with a bit more definition, and less distortion. I'm not sure if I can call it clipping but it sounds like it. Again, fabulous song but I'd love to hear a cleaner mix....

I like the song overall. Guitars are nice and brutal :)

The drums sound cool for this style but I would take a lot of compression out of the drums.

nice work,

-jD

A solid chunk of industrial fun. The drums sound situationally appropriate.
Good song - bvox work well.

Hey there,
I'm pretty new to recording, (4 months), & brand new to this forum, but I think you've got a very good song. I read in earlier posts about the drum situation, but they seem to suit the song to me. Good song.

Hey ido1957, thanks so much for listening and commenting! I might have to check a cleaner mix out, since I feel like I'm having some trouble with this one. ;)

jamesduysen, hey bro. Thanks! Struggling a bit with the drums. Some folks like 'em as is, and others don't. I change my mind daily too!

Hi rayc, thanks mate! I appreciate your time. :)

minerman, hello! Welcome and thank you! :cool:

Second mix sounds great, Chris! :)
Everything's nicely balanced now and the wah lead doesn't disturb the rest in the verses anymore. Really nice texture in the somg now, I wouldn't change anything else.

Joey :):):):)

Back