Branching Out...a bit

powderfinger

Well, this one is kind of branching out for me in terms of production.........usually I don't fiddle with too many production and mixing ideas.....a couple guitar tracks, a couple vocal tracks, bass, percusion...done

On this one, though, I figured I screw around a bit with stuff I've never really tried.......doubled vocals....a few odd effects......tons of cutting and pasting......my first ever midi use (though not much).......a new mastering technique i read about in a mag.....you get the idea.

Let me know what you guys think.

"Chase The Day" ....it's at the bottom of the page

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

i'm on headphones (but they are nice headphones)

i really like those drums. don't like the congas though. the pitch on them just isn't right.

nice song though. nice guitars. vox sound is much improved. at least you're not blowing levels anymore!

Acoustic. Overdubs. Bass gtr. Good drums. I like the bassline. Understated and cool.

Nice song. (<--- overused phrase... but... :confused: ... it's the truth)

Agree on the congas... they aren't in tune :)

The "bathroom" echoes are Springsteen-ish... nice... but the last one is sung flat.

Will be nice when all the parts are in... (a few more guits? More vocal dubs? Percussion? suggestions...)

Another good start, Drew.

C

erichenryus - thanks for the listen.....i hear you on the congas.....as far as the levels go, i finally got a hardware compressor which has made a huge difference....i got the rnc

chad - thanks for listening, you always have good advice.....two votes against the congas.....i guess i should pull those.......i'm gonna pull the end of that bathroom vocal too until i get a chance to retrack some and maybe add a little more......thanks

Alright, I did a quick new mix w/ different percussion and no congas....and a slight vocal edit at the very end.......

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

hey that rnc was a really good purchase! good decision. i'm sure it sounds better than anything you could do with software.......(erichenryus goes to another website to order one)......

what are the drums? they are perfect.

btw, thanks for listening to the conga comment. much better without them. damn, it's fun when you comment and people listen.

ok, so here's the next comment. take it or leave it. i don't like the bathroom vocal in the end. sorry.

Hey Powder,
....cool man. This is one of the funnest aspects of recording for me.....(adding the bells and whistles). This is a real nice song. Well written.., and you didnt get so carried away w/ production ideas that you suffocate the original vibe (a line that i cross frequently:( :D ) The acoustic tone comes off as a touch woofy on these speakers. A little eq should thin that out for ya. Nice vocs, and nice subtle midi nuances in there..... ...very nicely done man!!
:)
g

Hey, you should do this more often!

Hahaha, I was expecting massive overdubs and strings and big gospel choruses....but......what a perfect example of good taste this is: you added stuff more stuff than usual, but you didn't go overboard with it. You even removed the bongos with any discussion. Good attitude...and it produces cool music.

I think that if you can get the bathroom vocal in pitch, it could work. In this version it sounds like actual bathroomsinging, LOL :D (other parts in the song need attention to pitch too btw)

Soundwise it's very good. On my speakers the acoustics don't sound woofy at all.

Pedullist said:
sounds like actual bathroomsinging

Yeah, mine:p

This is very nice song. I like the interplay between the acoustics. Vocals could use some pitch help in places (not from me...lol). I would like a bridge in this song then back to the chorus. It's fine as is because it is short, but a song like this begs for a bridge with a change up in sounds, rhythm, etc. Also, I don't like the ending.

Great start! I like the songs from you I have heard. You have a good sense of acoustic pop. You also have the most important ingredient, a good song.

Nice song. I like the doubled vocals. I liked the drums. The guitar parts work well together. The strings were a nice touch. Maybe use them more? They kind of come and go too fast.

The vocals sliding up at 1:14-1:15 didn't seem to work IMO. I think you should just hit the note and hold it.

Little vocal syncing issue at 1:53.

The vocals are maybe a bit too forward. You could probably pull them back a bit.

Good job.

this is a nice listen. I don't know enough about mixes, etc., but I know I like this song and the sounds. great stuff. great production.

Dan

erichenryus - good call on the congas...i'm glad i took the suggestion too.......get the rnc, it's great

Guernica - thanks for listening...always appreciated man........i'm gonna try and work myself into doing more production ideas like i explored a little here....it is fun

Pedullist - thanks for listening.....i might try retracking that bathroom vocal....while it does border on a taste issue for some, i think that i could get it in tune (i pretty much just used the scratch vocal there) that it could work

skids - thanks for getting it out....good call on the bridge...i should do that....the past handful of songs i've written i've stayed away from using a bridge for some reason....i should definitely think about using them more......

TripleM - I was thinking the same thing about the vocals being a little up front, it seems like they are at the beginning, but they settle in...maybe i'll just bring them down at the start......thanks

dtb - thanks again for the cds man....i appreciate the listen

Downloaded last night & listening at work on phones

Sounds damn good to me.

Good song. Well performed. Your voice sounds good (a couple pitch issues)

I agree with Ped on the bathroom vocals. Fix the pitch, I think they would sound pretty cool.

Bass might sound a little boomy in my phones…but they are new and I’m not really used to them yet so…

No other comments from me.

Nice work man. I like it. :)

Fantastic song. Very very nice. Nice vocal sound. Warm, soft, but very present. Sets a great mood.

Shit man, I like this mix as it is. I'll give it another listen here....

It's got that 50's chord progression with some nice modern flavor. Cool.

Good lyrics.

Hmmm, maybe a little more roll-off from about 125Hz in the bass. Seems to get a little muddy at times. Not really bad, but enough to obscure some key elements in the other tracks. That's on my monitors which I don't put 100% faith in when it comes to bass, and I didn't read what other people were hearing.

Nice job!

Robertt8 - i sent you some screenshots of what you were asking about on pm

Jagular - thanks for checking it out.....i'm glad to hear that on the bathroom vocal, i think i'm gonna try to fix it

SLuiCe - thanks for the listen....the rnc settings you helped me with have been a great start and i think that little thing has really helped my recording.....looks like you and Jag both commented on the bass....i'll look into it .......thanks

Sweet tune!

Acoustic sounded great as always.
I dug the vocals.

I like that little guitar thing you had going on in the backround,almost sounded like chimes,nice touch.

Very tastful with the strings,just right.

Nice job,a little bit here and there really brings it out.

Pete

Pete - thanks as always for checking it out....the chime effect thing is just a simple guitar line panned hard to one side and then using a multi-tap delay across the spectrum

I liked the song very much, just the voice is going off key sometimes ( often) and while the song is going one direction the voice is not always getting there, if that makes sense...

It seems sometimes you were not sure what note to sing and tried to find it WHILE singing...

Apart from that very nice sound and overall feel.

jumpingflash - thanks for checking it out.......i hear you about the sliding into the note parts (mainly on the chorus i think).......the time i tracked it (i think i olny did three vocal takes) was the first time a sang it at full volume.......thanks for listening

Very nice work. I like the song and I like the tasteful layering. I wish I could have heard the congas....my fault for not getting here early enough.

In my opinion, the area that needs the most work is the bass. I could stand to hear some more bass, but as pointed out, the bass sounds a little boomy. Sometimes during those sustained higher notes in the bass part the song loses its bottom.

Back