Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Branching Out...a bit

Thanks

Branching Out...a bit

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, this one is kind of branching out for me in terms of production.........usually I don't fiddle with too many production and mixing ideas.....a couple guitar tracks, a couple vocal tracks, bass, percusion...done

On this one, though, I figured I screw around a bit with stuff I've never really tried.......doubled vocals....a few odd effects......tons of cutting and pasting......my first ever midi use (though not much).......a new mastering technique i read about in a mag.....you get the idea.

Let me know what you guys think.

"Chase The Day" ....it's at the bottom of the page

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...=1642&alid=154

Thanks
    i'm on headphones (but they are nice headphones)

i really like those drums. don't like the congas though. the pitch on them just isn't right.

nice song though. nice guitars. vox sound is much improved. at least you're not blowing levels anymore!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Acoustic. Overdubs. Bass gtr. Good drums. I like the bassline. Understated and cool.

Nice song. (<--- overused phrase... but... ... it's the truth)

Agree on the congas... they aren't in tune

The "bathroom" echoes are Springsteen-ish... nice... but the last one is sung flat.

Will be nice when all the parts are in... (a few more guits? More vocal dubs? Percussion? suggestions...)

Another good start, Drew.

C

Thanks
    erichenryus - thanks for the listen.....i hear you on the congas.....as far as the levels go, i finally got a hardware compressor which has made a huge difference....i got the rnc

chad - thanks for listening, you always have good advice.....two votes against the congas.....i guess i should pull those.......i'm gonna pull the end of that bathroom vocal too until i get a chance to retrack some and maybe add a little more......thanks

Alright, I did a quick new mix w/ different percussion and no congas....and a slight vocal edit at the very end.......

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...=1642&alid=154

Thanks
    hey that rnc was a really good purchase! good decision. i'm sure it sounds better than anything you could do with software.......(erichenryus goes to another website to order one)......

what are the drums? they are perfect.

btw, thanks for listening to the conga comment. much better without them. damn, it's fun when you comment and people listen.

ok, so here's the next comment. take it or leave it. i don't like the bathroom vocal in the end. sorry.

In a world full of chimpanzees I was a monkey
    Thanks
    Hey Powder,
    ....cool man. This is one of the funnest aspects of recording for me.....(adding the bells and whistles). This is a real nice song. Well written.., and you didnt get so carried away w/ production ideas that you suffocate the original vibe (a line that i cross frequently ) The acoustic tone comes off as a touch woofy on these speakers. A little eq should thin that out for ya. Nice vocs, and nice subtle midi nuances in there..... ...very nicely done man!!

g

Thanks
    Hey, you should do this more often!

Hahaha, I was expecting massive overdubs and strings and big gospel choruses....but......what a perfect example of good taste this is: you added stuff more stuff than usual, but you didn't go overboard with it. You even removed the bongos with any discussion. Good attitude...and it produces cool music.

I think that if you can get the bathroom vocal in pitch, it could work. In this version it sounds like actual bathroomsinging, LOL (other parts in the song need attention to pitch too btw)

Soundwise it's very good. On my speakers the acoustics don't sound woofy at all.
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Pedullist
    sounds like actual bathroomsinging
    Yeah, mine

This is very nice song. I like the interplay between the acoustics. Vocals could use some pitch help in places (not from me...lol). I would like a bridge in this song then back to the chorus. It's fine as is because it is short, but a song like this begs for a bridge with a change up in sounds, rhythm, etc. Also, I don't like the ending.

Great start! I like the songs from you I have heard. You have a good sense of acoustic pop. You also have the most important ingredient, a good song.

Thanks
    Nice song. I like the doubled vocals. I liked the drums. The guitar parts work well together. The strings were a nice touch. Maybe use them more? They kind of come and go too fast.

The vocals sliding up at 1:14-1:15 didn't seem to work IMO. I think you should just hit the note and hold it.

Little vocal syncing issue at 1:53.

The vocals are maybe a bit too forward. You could probably pull them back a bit.

Good job.

Thanks
    this is a nice listen. I don't know enough about mixes, etc., but I know I like this song and the sounds. great stuff. great production.

Dan

Thread Information