"Bottle Of Wine" - ReMixed Per Your Instructions

chrisharris

King of Bling
I tried to delete my other thread to make this less confusing, but THE MAN said I needed permission or something.

Anyway, here's what I heard in your comments...

Sluice - liked the drums (I brought 'em in earlier) - [by the way, that little project of yours yesterday was impressive].

CrankyOne - Thought "Right Now" sounded mono (it still does)
and also thought that on "Bottle Of Wine," I should bring the good singer (i.e., my daughter) in from Right Field .. (she's upfront now).

Thereon - Agreed with CrankyOne, and also thought the song could use break at 2:08. (It's got one now).

I ditched "Our Song" because it was a waste of bandwidth.

See, I may be new, but I can take direction.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

If I screwed up the song, it's all YOUR fault. :)

BTW - Many thanks for the positive comments on Jaimee - Her 12 year old head is as big as a watermelon.

I do want to post some different stuff, but I'm gonna' wait until I get these as close to "done" as I can get 'em...

Lemme' Hear Ya'

chris

Turned it up for this listen.
Nice git line around :30...her bg vox shine more nicely on this mix. I like that. And you're voice is excellent too.

Good move on the drum entry at 1:30ish. Sounds nice.

Excellent sounds on the monitors. Rich. Accents at 2:20ish mixed really well.

Nice job...no complaints!

Very nice. Your vocals sounded a bit to boxed in and up front. Maybe they are compressed a bit too hard? Some delay or reverb might fix that too.

The drums sounds roomy, like they are recorded in a basement with to much echo, and they are also heavy on the mid frequencies. A bit more bottom and top would be nice I think. They are rather uninteresting so it's good that you keep them low.

Other than that (and some untightness here and there) it's perfect!

I dig the mix, yeah. The hi-hat is a bit, just a bit too loud. But I wouldn't worry about it. This tune sound very finished. The song sounds like it needs more mids or slightly less high-end. This is an improvement, no doubt. There are still some little things I pick up, but there will always be, no matter how finished the song is :D I'm never satisfied anyway.

Done and Done

Many, MANY thanks to ya'll. I won't bug you with these anymore.

THREAD CLOSED...hehehe (No coming in with some huge notation about "phase" problems...If I have 'em, I don't wanna' know it until I'm listening to the CD in my car and the vocals disappear).

:D

I am now taking a solemn vow (hand raised) to try to contribute something to the very cool people who frequent (and maintain) this site...(don't ask for cash).

The first thing we need to talk about is phase problems....just kidding, Chris! hey, I finally downloaded the sucker and gave it a couple spins. I enjoyed the song--very good mood and message. Heck, I liked it so much, I decided to pour myself a little cabernet! Jaimee is what? 12? Look out for her, she's gonna be a hot property (musically).

Mix-wise, I wanted more presence on some of the tracks, like the drums and acoustics, not the voices though. The feel was definitely there--most important. I like your voice too. Its got character and communicates the song, so don't dis yo bad self.

I can't say more of value cause my ears are wacked out. I've been recording all day and night. Tonight, I couldn't get a good sound on anything I was doing and gave up in frustration. Just when you think you have it all figured out, the idiot gene kicks in again! :D Well, at least your song was a highlight of my evening--certainly not what i was writing...

A very nice recording. Your daughter's voice is quite big for her age. The song's nice and your sounds are good. I don't have much to say about the mix because it's good enough that it ends up being personal preference. All in all......a very professional sounding tune.

I like this song, brought back some cool memories...mainly of Ripple and Boone's Farm, but that doesn't mean it's a cheap song, just that I drank cheap wine. :D
Very good writing, singing, playing, and mixing. Strong harmonies, good hook.

This is a great song! I don't like alot of stuff in this genre. This gave me a feeling of mellow joy, sunshiney days, good memories from my misspent youth. I can hear Little Feat doing this.

The young lady is phenomenal, I encourage her to hold on to music no matter what else she's interested in.

The mix sounded great to me. It had a great presence. I can't say more because I'm an inexperienced recordist.

great job! She has a good voice for any age, and so do you.. The mix sounds pretty good but maybe not enough mids or something.. too much highs?.. Its not a big deal though because it sounds great for the most part.. nice job! she's good..

Nice song. I thought some of the lyrics were quite good. Decent melody and nice harmonies. I liked the change up at 1:44.

I thought things kicked in a little too hard at :38. Thought I heard a guitar clip at about 1:11 and some other spots too. Was there some weird panning at about 2:08?

Just minor things. I enjoyed the song.

Wow,

I didn't think the tune could improve as much as it has. Sounds great.........er.....than before.

Thanks for letting me hear the progress. It was motivating:)

Peace,

Theron.

Sounds great just like it did the first time I listened to it.I didnt mind the first mix the way it was.The song is strong enough to keep the ear away from looking for recording problems.Good song.;)

Source of Inspiration

Well, I may be a heel for not letting this thread die a natural death, but I felt like I had to say "thanks" for the additional input.

CRAWDAD - after your comment, I feel pretty okay about leaving the vox alone. I know what you mean about the "presence" of some of the tracks, but I'm sort of at a point in my recording where I don't know how/where to go. I started recording 11 months ago, and most of that time has been spent trying to figure out how to just get to "not abrasively scary." I want to learn how to turn it up a notch...it'll happen. Again, I can't compliment you enough on the stuff of yours that I've heard.

LT. BOB - You wrote: "it's good enough that it ends up being personal preference. "...I was in the middle of deciding whether I should start screwing with the EQ when I read your comment, and I'm leaving it alone...for now. Thanks.

MKG - Man, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!!! :D :D :D - Thanks a ton.

A MODIFIED DOG - I appreciate the comments about Jaimee. I hope she and I always have this musical bond...she's the only kid I know who has every Fleetwood Mac album (including 2 that I don't have) AND every NSYNC recording (*ick*..I'm getting old). Hope my other kids (4 and 2) and sing.

B. SABBATH - I appreciate your ears - and your music. Nobody's made me stop listening yet.

TRIPLE M - The songwriting comments made me feel good. I guess we all need a pat on the back everyonce in awhile to keep us motivated to write. Simple songs are my favorite. Yeah, I go nuts with the pan knob sometimes, but I couldn't get the thing to clip in my car. Thanks for the listen. By the way, does anybody else do that??? Just drive around in your car, with your own music blasting away in a manner that would be totally embarrassing if you got caught? I consider it a necessary part of the process...(at least, that's what I tell my wife).

Thereon - You've taken the time to listen to it twice, and I really appreciate it. It's motivating to get feedback. I'll try to be as considerate in the future.

KRAMER - My brother...sincere thanks. I'll quit screwing with it....right....NOW.

I gotta' hit the road for a few days...go help people get better, and thanks again.

-chris

You've been recording for 11 months?!! Hey, you are doing just fine. My ony advice would be to listen to mixes of stuff that is similar to the stuff you want to do in the future. Study the sounds, the panning, verbs, overall EQ, the combination of instruments, etc. Then, try to match those things in your own work. Keep reading the good stuff here and most importantly, write quality songs. A great song overcomes everything!

As an artist, find your comfort zone--the stuff you can do best--and develop that. Expand outward from your creative center, but never lose sight of it. You'll have a fun journey!

I really liked "Bottle of Wine".

You've got a nice, rich, warm voice with a lot of character which really suits the material.

And your daughter has a good voice too! (I'm also a proud parent, although my wee one is only at the "goo goo" stage)

I love the relaxed feel to the song, and it's a good tune too. Nice one.

Cheers

Alastair

hey i really enjoyed this tune...

i used to be more into country than i am now...so its kind of a throw back for me.

i think the mix etc. sounds pretty good. some of the performance is a bit loose, like some of the vocals working together etc....hard thing to put your finger on...just happens. trust me, i know all to well. hehe...

otherwise i think this is really good.

Chris,

wanna let you know I didn't miss your tune; just didn't seeem to have given you a reply. Very nicely arranged. Of course not my thing, but it's very pleasant. Good job.

Chad

what a relief

Thanks...because I was scared to death when I saw your name...

(oh CRAP! Must be "phase problems.").

:D

-chris

Back