Bossa tracks

intGod

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this community. I would like to share a few tracks from my most recent project where I convert popular metal songs into Lounge remixes, with a bossa feel. It's intended as a "fun" project. The recordings are done, and I'm mixing and I would love a "helping ear" from the community.

Here are a few links to early mixes.

Forsaken - Dream Theater:
https://soundcloud.com/kristof-elst...istof-elst/sets/bossa-demo-charllotte/s-OrLUJ

Rainbow in the Dark - Dio
https://soundcloud.com/kristof-elst...istof-elst/sets/bossa-demo-charllotte/s-OrLUJ

Looking forward to reading your comments.

I listened to Forsaken.

I thought the keyboard in the intro was a little harsh.

The guitars and other synth parts sounded nice. The bass sounded a bit sterile and midi-ish.

The drum pattern got a bit repetitive.

The vocal had quite a few effects. They created a neat feel, but it made the words a bit difficult to make out. A small pitch problem in a couple of spots. Overall vocal tone was nice.

Rainbow in the Dark is the better of the two tracks in my opinion.

And I am a HUGE Dream Theater fan, forsaken just seems like it would be hard to convert to this style.
Rainbow in the dark was simple and straightforward but good.

Listened to "Rainbow..." Ha! I love it. Very fun and a very cool take on the original. :) The vocal seemed a little effected compared to what I was expecting, which was a little off-putting at first, but the performances were so good I think I looked past it. Thanks for sharing!

Forsaken - cool. The classical guitar's bottom end gets messy with the bass guitar - you'll need to EQ carve on to accommodate the other.
The kick drum is about right for Modern metal but really needs more thump for bossa and less tin foil top as well as to be pulled back a tad.
Could you replace the string samples with something more lush? They sound pretty sterile.

In case any of you are still following this thread: what did you mean by "much effects on the vocals". I have a compressor going and a slight reverb on the main vocal - a plate at 2 seconds, mixed at 8%. I have a very slight de-esser going because everything was close-mic'ed, and I have a compressor rather at the foreground. Maybe this is what was "off-putting"? My aim was to put you in the same room with the singer, like she was almost singing it in your ear.

Going from memory, I think what I'm hearing is that 2 second decay on the reverb. I'd shorten it to less than a second. And if it's at 8%, still take it down a bit. That's just me tho.

Forsaken... the guitar in the intro has a big low-mid buildup that is eating up the bass a bit. As suggested by another listener, some subtractive EQ in the low mids of the guitar (check between 200-300 HZ by doing a sweep--just open an EQ, grab a knob and hunt for the offending frequency).

Also consider rolling off lows with a high pass filter on that guitar.

A small bump in level on the snare hits. Vox could stand a little bump in level and maybe a subtle high-shelf EQ. Also would like a little more brightness from the guitar in general.

I'm familiar with the DT tune, and think you did something very interesting with the arrangement. Singer reminds me of a shy-er Nataly Dawn from Pomplamoose.

Back