Bluegrass tunes

patlang12

Hey everybody. This is my first time posting in the mp3 clinic in a really long time. I have been working on recording and mixing a folk/bluegrass album with one of my bands. I've heard these songs a bunch in a less than perfect listening environment and I'm beginning to lose objectivity. I don't think I've ever worked harder on recordings before so I'd really like to see what you all think. They are still a bit rough and have a few noises to get taken out, but I want to make sure I'm on the right path. No effects have been added to the tracks at all. Here are two of the songs (Outrun The Storm and Whiskey Well) off the album

Attachments

• Outrun Rough.mp3
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • whiskey rough.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Nice live feel. If you can bring up the level of the harmonica and mandolin fills closer to the level of the guitar solo, it would work better for me. The bass is at a minimum level in my opinion...it works, but I could use a little more bass unless it muddies things up for some reason.

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about both songs or just one of them? I think the harmonica might be mixed a bit low because it is very dynamic. I probably should compress or automate it a bit and then bring it up in the mix. I'm glad you think it has a live feel as that is what I'm really trying to go for. I haven't added any reverb to anything (only room mics) but I'm wondering if the vocals would benefit from a touch of it. Suggestions?

I listened to Outrun. Sounds great man. I thought the bass was pretty strong and held down the fort nicely myself.

Yes, I think you should at least try just a smidge of verb on the vocals. The acoustic guitar seemed to dominate a little maybe (although I figure it is kind of the featured thing on this piece), and I also wished for more of a stereo spread myself, but really a very rich, deep and natural sounding recording. Well done!

Thanks for the kind words. I was thinking the guitar might be a little bit too loud. I have room mics on everything so I think I'll try increasing their level on the vocals to add a little natural reverb. I really like the natural sound of the recordings so adding artificial reverb is sort of a last resort. I didn't spread the instruments out across the stereo image as much as I have on other projects because I thought it would help better preserve the live feel, but I'll have to mess with it a bit.

Just listened to this in the room. Yesterday was over headphones. Changes things quite a bit. Yeah, use a little reverb (like salt, you know, to taste) You could leave the levels as is and be fine. Maybe get away from it for a while, and if it makes you happy, it's good. I like it. I'd sit and listen to you guys. Nice stuff.

listening to outrun...

i thought there was a little too much low low low bass. could use a little less, but a little more in the lows, and a little more in the highs to remind me it's an upright.

i was hoping for a little louder harmonies, but i usually get told to put mine down. but when i think of bluegrass i think of really bright and loud harmonies.

what's the panning on the mandolin? could use some more space especially when it's playing those fast melodies with the other instruments.

the guitar sounds good. i might take a little little little amount of lows out just to see how the upright sits.

I think the recording has a vintage 30's sound....I like it.

Only tweaks I'd suggest are level down the bass fiddle and rhythm guit; up with the vox and feature line-playing instruments. Super!

I listened to both of your songs. They are really well done and jeffmaher is right, they've got some vintage feeling. I really enjoyed them and I wish to play such style too, it's kinda not my thing :) Though in my opinion whiskey could have shorter intro, as for the mixing itself, I think everything was mixed well and was hearable, but I listened on headphones. Nonetheless keep up the good work :)

Thanks for all the replies. Some of the mixing advice really helped and I was able to apply it to a bunch of songs on the album. If anyone is interested the entire album is streaming for free online and available for download here: Quicksand Marching Band Thanks again

Back