A Bluegrass Song- Kentucky Flower

Super job on the songwriting, kudos to your wife. And a great sound. Was this recorded on tape?

I am not qualified to critique the mix, it sounded fine, like any other bluegrass I've heard. I think you've hit the sound right on.

Thanks so much digital.

Recorded to tape? What a compliment....no, it was straight digital- Oktava 319 into an Omni Studio. I really appreciate your comments!

Regards-
Woodshedder

Yee haww!!

Nice pickin'

The mix. Bring the bass, drums and rhythm guitar up just a tad and I think you are there.

I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great bluegrass energy here and a lovely vocal as well.
There's a real McCoy mando and banjo picker in the mix as well:D
The bass drives this just the way it should.
The mix seems very well done to me.
The only thing I missed was a harmony, another essential element IMO of this music.

Really well done, thanks for sharing!

I liked what I heard, but I'm listening on pc speakers right now, so I'll have to hold off on final judgement untill I download it at home. (It's a sloow day at work.)

I REALLY liked Heroin Chic, but I think it needs edited down a bit. Just a little too long the way it is.

If I register at soundclick to download them, am I gonna get a bunch of spam?

(In his best Terry Jones dressed as woman voice) 'But I don't like spam!'

Sounds really good to me. I'm still getting used to my new monitors but the bass sounds nice and thumping to me...

Enjoyed the song, she's got a great voice for that music, brought me back to my youth when my dad blasted bluegrass albums all weekend long at the cottage. :)

Made our night...

Seriously- thanks folks. We really appreciate it. We are not new to pickin' but are new to recording it.

As far as we know, we've never, and no one else has ever reported to us getting spam from soundclick.

Gosh, I don't know what to say! Thanks for the compliments! We've got a new mic, and a session scheduled with the guys later in March...More to come!

Regards-
Woodshedder

I really wanted to check this out but until SoundClick ditches their requirement to sign up in order to download something, no dice.

You can stream the song at 128 kbps(with broadband), which is the same encoding as the download.

I didn't realize they don't allow you to download without signing up, though.

Streaming is out for me for two reasons: the big one is I'm on dial-up, but I also tend to download in batches and listen later. I'm not always downloading at a good time for a critical listen.

I'm not ragging on anyone's choice of where to host, but I do like to let people know from time to time that they're missing out on potential listens when the host makes a listener jump through hoops.

[edit]

Actually, although SoundClick seems to always prompt me to sign-up, I just downloaded a song from there without having to. Maybe it's just a preference setting.

Last edited:
I'm getting this weird irritating noise...

Oh, it's just the banjo. I'M KIDDING, I'm kidding -

Okay seriously, now... It sounds great - THe only thing tugging at my hearing thingies are the banjo/mando. The panning seems just a touch extreme.

I was thinking that they were too loud, but I've got a feeling it's just that there's so much separation...

Come to think of it, maybe just boost the guitar a bit - That'll nail it.

Very nice. With all the stuff going on in California right now, maybe you should release this with the female vocal on it. :D

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Massive and Jeff-
Definitelyl needs harmonies.

Massive, I agree about bringing the guitar up.

I'm going to do a little tweaking to the mix. I burned a copy for a good friend, and when we popped it into his home stereo, we realized that his left speaker wasn't working... And you guessed it, the mando almost disappeared. So I think I will lessen the panning a tad. Mix in Mono!

Thanks again!
Woodshedder

Back