Bluegrass, country, folk or something

Elton123

Did this one over the weekend. Love recording and playing with this guy. He just lays down a guitar and vocal and lets me play. Very fun.

Attachments

• Mona And Dino 4-8-12.mp3
    9 MB · Views: 17
Very very nice - can't think of anything I'd change. That vocalist has an excellent voice and your mic/processing just compliments it. Great stuff! (And a cool tune)...:D:D:D

This is really cool. The vocal is stellar. You could talk about the vocal chain and mic placement and I wouldn't mind. The acoustic panned up the middle has a lot of bottom end, and that's totally cool but I'm not really hearing or feeling the bass and I'm not sure if the acoustic isn't part of the problem. I don't think I would totally write it off as masking as I think the bass level is just too low. Of course you could turn around and tell me there is no bass on this track :-)

The stuff happening on the left at the beginning is a lot denser than the right - the pedal (?) steel on the right is toppier whereas the L has a thickness from reverb or something - not a prob but in HPhones it's really obvious.
I really enjoyed the filligree you added to the vox & guitar - nice playing & capture.
The bass seems hunky dory in phones. Tight & clear country style.
Enjoyable stuff Elton.
Oh, & good song tooooooo!

Yeah. There is bass. Upright sample that i keyed in The acoustic is rolled off a bit on the low end and a -5db cut on the fundamental pitch that was ringing. Actually sounded a little thin to me when it's by itself in the intro.
As far as the vocals, he's just a great singer. I used an SM-7 through a UA 6176. Just touched it with comp section. In the DAW I put a little EQ and comp on it. Added a touch of the Massy tapehead plugin too.

Thanks for the listen fellas!!

Yeah. There is bass. Upright sample that i keyed in The acoustic is rolled off a bit on the low end and a -5db cut on the fundamental pitch that was ringing. Actually sounded a little thin to me when it's by itself in the intro.
As far as the vocals, he's just a great singer. I used an SM-7 through a UA 6176. Just touched it with comp section. In the DAW I put a little EQ and comp on it. Added a touch of the Massy tapehead plugin too.

Thanks for the listen fellas!!

you know the part about turning around and telling me there was no bass was a joke right :-) I'm not hearing the acoustic thin at all. I'm listening on KRK V6s with sub, fairly low volume. Vocals really are fantastic, so much character. Anyway - you obviously have a handle on the mix end of things - I tend to over-do the bass on everything anyway, and I didn't really take the genre into account...

you know the part about turning around and telling me there was no bass was a joke right :-) I'm not hearing the acoustic thin at all. I'm listening on KRK V6s with sub, fairly low volume. Vocals really are fantastic, so much character. Anyway - you obviously have a handle on the mix end of things - I tend to over-do the bass on everything anyway, and I didn't really take the genre into account...

Ha, naw man. You are hearing what you are hearing. A good mix should translate to any environment. :)

The stuff happening on the left at the beginning is a lot denser than the right - the pedal (?) steel on the right is toppier whereas the L has a thickness from reverb or something - not a prob but in HPhones it's really obvious.
I really enjoyed the filligree you added to the vox & guitar - nice playing & capture.
The bass seems hunky dory in phones. Tight & clear country style.
Enjoyable stuff Elton.
Oh, & good song tooooooo!

Yeah, great ears man. The left guitar is tuned to open D, actually C# and played with a slide. The guitar on the right is standard tuning with no slide. Both with a volume pedal. Both tracks are the same guitar through the same set up, just the guitar on the left is a little wetter and going through the delay bus a little more. Not sure why, just the way I heard when I mixed it. Go figure?!?!?

Great song, great performances, great capture and mix. downloaded and going into rotation.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, I've got no suggestions for improvement. It's good as is... :)

Back