Blowers daugter

TAE

All you have is now
Update:

As per the comments below the vocal was way too hot...no need for anyone else to have to suffer through the listen....I'll re-record and post again here later..

I'd never heard it before this week on the Voice... damn I dug it..

This is a live recording playing and singing... way too hot vocal and a few piano chokes but came out ahright..... I used reaper and automation to kill the white noise on the mic spaces...I'll need to redo ...but what ya think?

Last edited:
Yeah, the vox was way over-cooked and the gating on it was annoying. Couldn't listen to it all. Sorry.

But, it sounded like a decent song and the performance was good. So, I'm sure on the next take, you'll have it dialed in.

Thanks Chili

I may be an old fart by I'm still a newb at recording..you mentioned gating...I actually sat there and used volume control automation to eliminate the noise... I googled gating vocals after I read your post and now I have to figure out how to do that...sounds a lot easier than what I just did.

Short on time but I'll try and redo this sucker tomorrow and not do it live...

thanks for the listen

You could de-ess the vocal some. At 0:47 there is a very harsh "sssss"

The vocal could have been turned down somewhat. I understand that it's the focus but what is the vocal without the piano, really?

If the noise on the recording is that intrusive, then it needs fixing at the source, not in the mix. You have a nice voice and I really like the piano. Do you have a noisy mic? Noisy preamp/interface? Something about your gear is lousy, it really shouldn't be as bad as that.

Thanks Schwarzenyaeger and yeah the piano needed more room in the mix..

Thanks Bubba...garbage in garbage out...The equipment is fine for getting really nice recordings..using a sm57 and the Yamaha MOX8 running through a line 6 UX8 and POD farm for vocal processing all into Reaper... In this case it wasn't the bow, it was the Indian..I just didn't take enough time setting up the vocal levels and the output ... To expedite the recording process, so I'm not fiddle farting with stuff after I push the stop button, I've been trying to do these live with effects running...no after the fact tweaking other than going in and removing the silent parts on the vocal track ....a real live recording.. When it's just me and the piano it is easier than a whole band or when I need to add tracks...I have pulled it off..but not being a very perfect player or singer...it takes a lot of takes..wasting time taking a take with the settings not right is no bueno.. need to work on that. Thanks for the listen and perspective brother.

Back