Black Sabbath cover song with Cranky One

B.SABBATH

Cranky One did the music.. I added vocals and a bit of keys in the outro..

It's a Black Sabbath song called 'Shock Wave' from the 'Never Say Die' album..

any mix thoughts are always appreciated.. I only mixed the vocals and keys..

rip apart the vocals please..

last tune www.nowhereradio.com/samij/singles

sorry about posting so much lately.. I will try to do some overtime..

I remember this tune!!!

This is a fine rendition!!
All I could say is bring up them drums a hair .
And at the beginning after the first riff the level drops noticibly, kinda odd.

Sam.....my wife says Ozzy is singing this and I'm full of shit trying to tell her its some plumber from Long Island.

Crankage!! Guitar tone is sweet!!!

Great job guys

Joel

You guys are a great cover band. If Long Island and Finland weren't so far apart, eh?

Oh my, what a surprise. It rocks.

Actually, it is amazing.

Amazing, I said.

Sam, this isn't your first Ozzy song, is it. Right on the money. Sweet.

Cranky, what a seriously tight sound and performance. Sweet.

Blown away.

I am actually not familiar with this tune....seems like a decent performance however...

chainsaw sounding guitars and great drum programming.
the vocals DO have that Ozzie feel to them... I can hear the similarity.

the mix sounds thin..for a lack of better words. Otherwise, sounds like a pretty kick butt 80's rock and roller.

Are those real drums? Someone mentioned "great programming" but I though they were real. DudeS this ROCKS!!!!! Nice full recording. The vocals are just incredible!!! I'd rather listen to this than Sabbath and I love Sabbath! Awesome job!!

Wow, what a great song to cover!

Man, you rock. That was awesome. Not being intimately familiar with "Never Say Die", [I have it on vinyl and saw the '78 tour...], but heck, I couldn't distinguish this from the actual album cut. WTG on everything, including the vocals. Sam, you rock. Cranky too.

That was seamless and powerful. Dude, that's not amatuer stuff. Samij,... rhymes with "damage". What else can I say?

[mental note: pick up "Never Say Die" on cd];)

Dude, you do a better Ozzy than Ozzy!:cool:

This rocks! Hit stream to listen, and hit the download button in under a minute.:)

Way cool! :cool:

AIEEEE! SWEEEEEET!

Intro guitars rock! The great drums. Then the OZZ voice! Man I love it when you sing ozzy.

I have absolutely no criticism. I'm enjoying it too much to criticize. I just love Sabbath covers. And this one's done so well.

Sorry that I'm probably not much help.

Great job both of ya.
:cool:

someone has the ozzy impression down pat.

i am an old ozzy fan myself (from way before the whole osbourne's television show!)

good job on this.. i enjoyed listening to it.

-alex

This kicks some serious butt.Dead on vocals and the music is rockin.Rockin drum sound.

Sam Osbourne!:D

Mix sounds right. I guess it's a convention to have the drums and bass sound a bit more upfront than the guitar and vocals, yeah? That's what I'm hearing here.

Question: on the original Sabbath tune, were there double vocals? It's a nice touch on this cover, and I like it. As for the vocal delivery, it's fine - you sound tough and nasty enough easily - the only way you can do it better, is to sound more desperate and twisted. Go on. Make me feel gay. :D Look behind you... :D

Really like the keys outtro bit too. You could add that periodically throughout the song.

Lot's of energy delivered in this tune man...very cool Vox.....

on the mix.....
The bass seems lost to me and I can hear a hell of a bass line...just too deep or lost in the mix....it needs it's own space...ya know?
drums don't sound canned to me....are they real?

Guit playing is quite tasty....great sound!

Take it easy,
Joe

Wow, thank you on behalf of myself and Sam :D About the drums. Yeah, they're programmed. And the bassline is programmed too. As I was listening the original bassline, I noticed it was pretty damn good. I didn't remember it being that cool. It's not 100% the same but I tried to capture most of the feel and all that.

The part about the bass guitar being somewhat buried... I always mix and listen with headphones. It doesn't sound too low to me, but I guess it's a whole different thing with speakers. I've never actually heard all my songs on speakers. My brother has these expensive Infinity Delta 70 speakers. He's too paranoid about me listening my tunes with them. He said since my songs are homemade, there could be some stuff there that could break his speakers. Well, of course it's possible, but ... I dunno. Have my songs ever trashed yours? :D

And there were double vocals on the original. Well, at least some vocal harmonies.

I have the opposite problem with my monitors...they tend to conceal the bass leaving me to guess the right level until I can test it on other systems, which usually means getting all dressed up and walking to my truck through the snow.

But maybe if I start testing the mix on headphones, like you, I can find a safe balance, eh?

Might be on to something...thanks :)

Again, nice job with this cover boyz!

Pretty hard to find anything to improve on here. Sam, the vocals were perfect. Cranky, you nailed the guitar stuff. I didn't like the sound of that ride cymbal, but hey I'm reaching here!

Twist

B.SABBATH said:

rip apart the vocals please..

Incredible! A few week's ago I was talking to a friend about all the cover bands that friends were in growing up and how NOBODY could do Ozzy. The myth is dead, excellent work! :cool:

Cranky...you may be proof for both camps that mixing on headphones is ok...or not ok. Your stuff sounds so good, that it seems that you are (for the most part) doing ok. Like I said earlier, I thought this mix sounded a little thin....but the rest of the responses seem to think the mix is ok... So what do I know?
:(

btw, against what all the "pros" say, I use headphones about 80% myself. I like being able to hear the details better, and I feel I can actually get a fairly good handle on reverb amounts, bass response and such...even though I am listening on cans. I find that the headphones (MDR7506) actually sound pretty close to my speakers when they are cranked too....and I've got some pretty nice speakers too.

This stuff IS amongst the best I am hearing on the 'homebrew' front...for sure.

Back