BLACK METAL special!

OzNimbus

Hi all, I'd appreciate some comments on this mix.

Band: "Woods of Ypres" (pronounced eee-pray)
Song: "A Meeting Place in Time"

Here's the Link:

You'll have to right-click "save as" or copy the link and open in a new page as this bbs doesn't like my hotlinks for some reason.

Warning, this stuff is Black Metal, so screeching vocals are part of the sound. I'm not really fond of the style, but this band is getting rave reviews in the Black Metal press all over the world. They could quite possibly be the next big thing for BM.

Thanks for checking it out!
-0z-

a 16.2 meg file is kinda beefy for some people..

I listened to this tune a few times and I think it's great..

The drums could use some help as far as power, and there is a lack of crispness in the whole mix.. It sounds dull.. this thing really needs some high end, but this is a great song! vocals are a bit low.. maybe at least turn up the vocals in the mellower singing parts..

I hear a lot of good stuff in this.. good luck!

BTW, cool location! :)

Well, I know quite a bit about the black metal genre and all metal in general, and this seems like a fairly standard mix, the harsh vox might be a bit low but a lot of bands are mixed that way, it sounds more cold and distant. This reminds me of Forest of Shadows actually which is more doom than black, but not a bad thing.. I think the mix is fine, it just needs to be mastered with a bit more bite and air.. around 3-12k should be boosted a couple of db or so.

Last edited:
By the way, they're a good band. And their good reviews are well deserved. As for next big thing? Nah.. there are already a handful of bands that do music similar to this, it's a pretty small corner of the BM/doom market that doesn't seem to see much hooplah.. Besides this, their name, title of cd etc is so cliche that people will get a vague impression of what the music is like before they even listen to it, point is, it's been done.. So while they definitely have the skills, I think they need a more unique angle, hope to see it develop.

Pretty cool sound.

It kinda drags on in spots.

The heavy guitars need a bit more body in my opinion, they sound a bit too fuzzy and unfocused. I'm sure you were going for this sound.

The vocal needs a bit more volume IMO.

cool production overall though. Sounded a bit gothic and not so metal.

Ever hear of a band called Mighty Sphincter?

Hey, talk about a small world.. Your boys in Woods of Ypres are on the same metal boxset I am on with Meathead Records.. same disc even! Pretty odd/cool coincidence.

B.SABBATH said:

The drums could use some help as far as power, and there is a lack of crispness in the whole mix.. It sounds dull.. this thing really needs some high end, but this is a great song! vocals are a bit low.. maybe at least turn up the vocals in the mellower singing parts..

BTW, cool location! :)

Thanks for the honest critique. You're absolutely right about it bieng dull. I'm "in between" studios right now, and located in a rather bright sounding bedroom, so that kind of skewed the overall EQ.
I'm starting construction on my new studio next weekend, so hopefully that will give me a better mix environment. Here's the floorplan: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=76400

Anyway, you're the first guy who ever complained about the drum sound! The drums are one thing I'm absolutley obsessive about. However, I was experimenting with different skins on the snare & toms. I liked how the snare turned out, but the toms weren't exactly what I was looking for.... The cymbals, on the other hand, turned out great.

jake-owa said:
Pretty cool sound.

It kinda drags on in spots.

The heavy guitars need a bit more body in my opinion, they sound a bit too fuzzy and unfocused. I'm sure you were going for this sound.

The vocal needs a bit more volume IMO.

cool production overall though. Sounded a bit gothic and not so metal.

Ever hear of a band called Mighty Sphincter?

Yep, indeed, it's a LONG song. The other tracks we did were shorter, but mostly speed/blast beats. This one was more melodic, and possibly more accessible to those not into black metal.

Again, you're right about the guitars. We were going for "bright" but got "fizzy" instead. It's something I think I've managed to fix over the last few months on other projects.

As for the vocals bieng to quiet, I think my mulitband was clamping down on them too hard during mastering.

Actually, no, I haven't heard of Mighty Sphincter. What do they sound like?

Mistral said:
I think the mix is fine, it just needs to be mastered with a bit more bite and air.. around 3-12k should be boosted a couple of db or so.

Great advice, but the one thing I NEVER do is use boosting EQ. Ever. I can't stand the phase shift.

However, I DID put up a new version, remastered to be a touch brighter in pretty much the region you suggested. Just some strategic cuts in the areas I didn't want, then an overall level boost.

Again, great suggestion. It was what the mix needed. Thanks!

-0z-

Ok, after having taken the advice of those who were kind enough to reply, I've uploaded a new version. You can check it out here:

Again, all comments & critiqes will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-0z-

I think you may have nailed it there man.. of course, I have a hard time comparing it to anything cause of such low RMS levels.. but it seems cleaner and more crisp on the top end.

Mistral said:
I think you may have nailed it there man.. of course, I have a hard time comparing it to anything cause of such low RMS levels.. but it seems cleaner and more crisp on the top end.

That's because I don't master for "The loudest disc on the planet." Volume wise, it's about the same as Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss." An original copy, that is.

The stupidest trend in modern music is slamming a mix thru the mastering process, and leaving no dynamics, IMHO. If you want to hear it louder, TURN UP YOUR VOLUME KNOB. :)

-0z-

I agree with you but if you mix to an RMS of around -10 db I think you will have levels that are plenty competitive while still leaving plenty of room for dynamics. Your average RMS is FAR below that, at -15 to -18 .. I personally think it's pretty annoying having to turn up a song, then when it's over, get blasted by the next song in the playlist if you weren't ready with the trigger finger on the volume knob.

Back