BJZ - 'False Pride'

Jyemz

Hi folks.

As well as my own stuff I'm the 'J' in 'BJZ', an online rock band.

Here's 'False Pride', would be interested to see what you think. It was quite a collaboration, with players in the US, Scotland, Norway and Sweden.

False Pride by BJZ | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Bapu (Ed Kocol) - Bass, Loops, Mix & Master
Jyemz (James Griffiths) - Guitars
Zargg (Ken Nilsen) - Vocals
with;
Lasse Williamson - Orchestration
Hugo Ribeiro - Drums
Inbal - Choir

Wow, very nice song, almost exactly the style of metal / rock I like.
I love the dark voice and mood of the song. Especially the drums and voices sound great to me.

There's something weird going on in the intro at around 16 seconds, sounds like a bad tape recording.
Or maybe it's too much compression?

Also the guitar playing arpeggios (e.g. at around 1 minute on left channel) sounds a bit off to me, very dry, it sticks out of the mix a little too much.
Maybe it's too loud, or it would benefit from a bit of reverb.

Honestly, the mix sounds a little cluttered to me. There are a lot of things vying for attention, and the only ones that really stick out are the ones that are distractingly hard panned. There's a lot of low energy in the low mids from the guitars and pads/strings, but no real definition.

The vocal chorus on the bridge is cool tho.

Thanks for the listen & comments.

The ratio of thread views to comments on this forum is really high, has it always been like that?

I agree the mix is cluttered. First things first, though. You overcooked the mastering. The result is harsh and brittle. It's hard to tell what the original mix sounded like prior to all the boosting and limiting. If you are interested in mix advice, you should consider disabling the mastering stuff and printing a raw mix. It does sound to me like there is too much happening in the low midrange, giving the mix a woolly sound.

The song sounds pretty good. That sing-along part remind me of Rammstein.

Cool song-good playing and mix. Commenting on the soundcloud version. First thing i noticed was the kick drum-it seems to stick out unnaturally, once my ear fixated on it, i couldn't shake it. Nice guitar playing tone is pretty nice. I think some ambience on the pull offs during the verse might help-they seem too dry/upfront to me. Nice vocal tracks, strong delivery and good pitch. I really like the way the guitar works during the chorus?, tasteful playing and its place in the mix sounds just right. The snare gets a little obnoxious sounding around the 3:30 mark. I switched over to the video and it has a sound of it's own-not bad it seems to bring the drums in tighter to the mix a bit, and some high end filtering..Anyways i really think it's a strong song well played and mixed, my comments are in the nit picking category. Nice work.

I agree with the comments about being cluttered. It has somewhat to do with the guitar parts. They're trying to call attention to themselves while the vocal is present. They're not supporting the vocal. I gotta say, tho, they have a nice tone. The orchestration is also calling a bit too much attention to itself.

The kick is super loud. The drums are loud as a whole. But the kicks is especially loud. The cymbals get a little swirly in spots - probably caused by SoundCloud.

The vocal sounded OK.

The bass is a bit sterile. Too much low end and not quite enough low-midrange.

Well played all around.

This is well put together. I dig the theatrical feel that it has. I especially like the part starting at about 5:00 in. really cool arrangement.

With regard to the mix I think others have commented on the lack of ambience on some of the guitars. From my perspective it sounds like you could take just a bit of ambience off the vocals and add it to the guitars. Drums seem just a touch heavy in the low mids as do the vocals. Tone-wise everything seems pretty good.

Overall this is a really kick ass track. I'm super impressed.

Back