Big Ride by The Story of the Sun. Anthemic rock song

I think the vocals need some work. You seem to be straining somewhat on this one, and there's some pitchiness going on thats not on your other stuff. It also seems a little light in the bass. Starchaser seemed to be similar in tone, a bit bright. Lauren hits the mark better.

Insomnia really threw me. The way you did the drums threw me for a loop in the beginning.

I had your Soundcloud channel playing and I really like the Dreamland songs. This one isn't quite up to that point yet.

The song is fine, just needs some tuning.

Hey thanks for checking us out. Glad someone listened to Dreamland lol. Anyway, when you say insomnia threw you for a loop, is that a good or bad thing? Also, after listening to big ride in the car I agree the bass can come up. We can dial back on the brightness for starchaser. I think that was in the mastering.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your time!

Yea I'd agree with much of what TalismanRich said. Overall, I for the most part, enjoy the vocals I just think it could use a few touch-ups

TSOTS

There was just something about the drum track at around 25-35 seconds and again at 1:35 that just seemed odd. When I first heard it, I thought a second song had started to play over your track.

Interesting. Let me take another close listen. Any idea on how to correct that? Performing it again?

TSOTS, its just that one section. I think it's the way the toms sound vs the kick. Its almost like a double kick, but just felt weird to me. I dont know that I would change it, maybe that's what's causing the insomnia! :yawn:

Nice pun!!! Ok. Well I’ll see if it’s double triggering.
Thanks again for the feedback!
By the way, when the insomnia drums threw you for a loop, was that a bad thing?

The mix seems fine. The synth at the beginning a little bit loud maybe. I would also consider making the synth part more interesting if you wish to keep it as the main element for those parts of the song.
As mentioned by others, the vocals need work (retracking) The falsetto at 0,50 and 1,54 is out. The Yeaah at 2,11 the same. There is also some very clear vocal issues at 2,50 and 3,02-3,05 and the harmonies at 3,30.
Nice song by the way. Just record the vocals the song deserves.

The mix seems fine. The synth at the beginning a little bit loud maybe. I would also consider making the synth part more interesting if you wish to keep it as the main element for those parts of the song.
As mentioned by others, the vocals need work (retracking) The falsetto at 0,50 and 1,54 is out. The Yeaah at 2,11 the same. There is also some very clear vocal issues at 2,50 and 3,02-3,05 and the harmonies at 3,30.
Nice song by the way. Just record the vocals the song deserves.

I was gonna say the same thing. That synth part is really f*ckin' loud, and it's also not very interesting rhythmically. For lack of a better term, it sounds very white. I think you need some syncopation in there, IMHO. It also seemed to create a sense that something was rushing the beat during those parts. I don't know if it was riding a little ahead of the drums maybe, but something seems to be fighting the groove during those parts. Like I said, though, if it were me, I would go back to the drawing board with the rhythm on that synth part.

I also agree with others regarding the vocals. They're not quite up to snuff with your other stuff.

Thanks fir the feedback. Truly. You’re talking about the beginning synth right? It might be a little off the beat and we will have to look into that. As far the Vox, we are re-recording some part to get it locked in.
Thanks again

Thanks fir the feedback. Truly. You’re talking about the beginning synth right? It might be a little off the beat and we will have to look into that. As far the Vox, we are re-recording some part to get it locked in.
Thanks again

Yes, the synth in the beginning, but also when it comes back in later (after the chorus, etc.).

Back