Big Legged Woman....

Richard King

This was recorded live at a gig back in January. It was my first live recording since 1976 or so. ;) The band is "Nasty Habits", from Vero Beach, Fl., a 3 piece blues/rock band. I used a total of 9 inputs for the recording. Since the BG singer didn't take part in this song, only 8 inputs were used on this particular song. The singer was all over the place near and far on the mic and it took a lot of work to get his levels close to even through the song (although it was easy compared to what it would have been in 1976). :D I made a few compromises due to lack of enough mics. I used an AKG Perception 220 between the snare and one tom. Another AKG Perception 220 was used on the other side between the other two toms. I would have liked to mic them all individually. Kick mic was an EV ND868. The two overheads were MXL 903's. Vocal mic was supplied by the band and I don't recall what it was. Bass was direct (balanced out from the bass player's preamp). Guitar amp was mic'd with an MXL 2003 large diaphram condenser. Did I overdo the slapback on the vocal? Other comments or suggestions?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=9356510

Are you going to remove the background noise/hiss?
The bass gets woolly & boomy quite often: particularly when the toms are happening.
You did a good job evening the vocals.
Yeah the slap slaps back a bit.
some ascpects of the drums are to upfront - I thought I heard a stick collision that seemed right under my nose.
I also thought I heard a little bit of clipping way over on the side just once.
Not too bad - just needs some more work.

Sounds good. Nice job on the vocals, the delay suits his voice. Still uneven though I think you could compress them harder, they fell off the pace a bit in the 3rd verse. Drums sound good, sound like he clipped the mic at one point there you could edit, bass and guitar are nice. Good job, the band would be happy with this

Did I overdo the slapback on the vocal?

Yep.

The sounds are really good. But problems with the performances kinda render it unsalvagable.

The band's not so...polished.

You did a great job!

First thing I notice is the bass is high-cut completely out. If possible, I'd get some life outta the bass.

Seems like the high-end of this tune is cut out a bit much, but.... I kinda like it. Something about the way this is recorded is very intriguing. The snare doesn't snap at all, and the bass is like... nothing but 200MHZ and lower.... But I like it.

Definitely has my foot tappin', and I can turn this tune way up, and it still sounds great.

Very, very groovish type of recording. I'm having a hard time critiquing because I like the tune so much.... It sucks me in.

Yeah... I changed my mind. I wouldn't change a thing. Loved it... Even with all the unconventional stuff that I would usually find problems with in other recordings, this sucker groooooooved!

Great mix!

this sucker groooooooved!

The time flux and raggedness...and the bass drum never hitting the anticipaton in the bass guitar doesn't make you uncomfortable???!!!!

I must be in boogie-deficit mode!

this sucker groooooooved!

The time flux and raggedness...and the bass drum never hitting the anticipaton in the bass guitar doesn't make you uncomfortable???!!!!

I must be in boogie-deficit mode!

hehe.... There were lots of things that made me uncomfortable in the beginning, but it quickly didn't matter much, because it .... just felt right. I really dig the way they recorded this thing, and I find that so interesting, because there are quite a few things wrong with it.

*scratching head*.. yeah... I dig it!

I thought, in-particular, that the jam wooda grooved a lot more if the bass and drums were working together; mebbe I just didn't listen long enough??

The bass was kinda mookey, without the BD transients accenting da bass.

Thanks for all the comments. It's good to see some activity on the song. The inconsistancies in the performance can, of course, be because of the live situation. We did no fixes (overdubs) to anything after the recording. I haven't had the time to sit and play with it at all after posting, hopefully I will in the next few days. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. There were some weird things going on at the gig that I am certain effected the performance. A couple of people (it only takes a couple to harm what could be a good night) kept complaining that they were too loud. Of course, when that happens it generally falls on the drummer to fix things. He was none too pleased about the fact that two people were trying to wreck it for everyone else. He toned it down a bit, but gradually worked it back up through the evening. :spank: (wow, a logical spot for a spanking) Of course, the other two guys in the band were telling him to keep it under control. Not a pretty site. By the end of the evening they were all pretty upset (at the two complainers, not eachother).

Back