the big bubba band

I think this sounds way better. More clarity, everything has it's place now. I can hear the bass drum, it has a much nicer punch to it. I don't like the snare, but that's just the sample itself, not anything you're doing wrong, and I'm just talking personal preference, so take it for what it's worth. This is a cool tune, by the way. It would be hard as hell to copy, lots of changes and moods to it. There's a a Tex/Mex feel all the way through that makes me think of big-titted women in denim shorts, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat....hmmmm...I'll be back in 15 minutes.

RAMI said:
There's a a Tex/Mex feel all the way through that makes me think of big-titted women in denim shorts, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat....hmmmm...I'll be back in 15 minutes.
Er..... You do know that it's a hymn, right? Well, I may not have posted that here but I know it's definitely in the song profile on soundclick. Anyway, its' a Christian hymn.

To top it off, it's an Asian/Eastern tune. hehe. :)

Anyway, if you see anything else in the mixing that can be done better, I'll be more than glad to hear it. That's goes for anyone. :)

I could also try to mess with the snare sample, but I'd rather not. 'Coz that might make it worse. I'm lazy. I could replace it with another sample, but this one is in many volumes, giving me the option of easily simulating the rat-tat-tat-tat ending a little louder than the rest. :)

I also get a shadows, tex\mex cowboy feel from this, but no tits :D

its a good recording, the drums sound a bit wrong for me, but hey thats just me.

I`m no drummer, I`m only slightly drunk.

but I like the tune, nice playing.

the drums sound a bit to computer sterile for me, but other than that a very good job man.

its even a bit heavy at times :cool:

I had no idea it was a Christian hymn. But even if I did know that, I would have imagined tits. Women had tits 2000 years ago, didn't they? Either, way, there is definitely a Tex/Mex feel to it....So there.

Alright, alright, I'll pass all the drum sounds thru a distortion thingie. Ok, so I see the point about the drums being a little too computer clean. Actually, you should have heard the drum machine I was using before this one. :)

So you guys think I should maybe add some flanging and phasing to the cymbals and snares? Would that do anything for anyone here?

Nakatira - Heavy? Ok, I know that something came out right in the mix if someone did get a little heavy sense from it. 'Coz I wanted a little heaviness in there but kept thinking that in the process of "good" EQ'ing I had gotten rid of all heavy traces long ago.

Anyhoo, how about playing? The solo at the end needs replaying, eh? Well since it was "hit the record" "and have fun" thing, I would actually have to learn it first!

Would you guys buy something with this sound quality? If this was a sample song (in terms of mixing job) and you were presented the oppurtunity of buying the CD (wholesale prices, I assure you ;) ), would you feel like it was good enough to buy from an indie artist?

bigbubba said:
Would you guys buy something with this sound quality? If this was a sample song (in terms of mixing job) and you were presented the oppurtunity of buying the CD (wholesale prices, I assure you ;) ), would you feel like it was good enough to buy from an indie artist?

Honestly? No. Not because its not a good song. But being a drummer, I find that a good or bad drum sound is enough to make me buy something or not.

RAMI said:
Honestly? No. Not because its not a good song. But being a drummer, I find that a good or bad drum sound is enough to make me buy something or not.
Is there any Drum Machines that you have encountered that you would consider rendered good drums? I realize that there's no synth machine or what have you that would replace a guitar in my opinion. Although, I have heard a song or two where the guitar was totally done using soundfonts on the computer and I couldn't tell the difference.

Anyway, here's my setup.
Guitars - Fender Squire using a Crate AMP. Which really only serves to bring the noise to line-in-level so the computer could record it. The clean rhythm and the Dist are both passed thru JCM simulators (www.simulanalog.com - free) using Ableton Live (acting as a VST host). Guitar is plugged in straight into the line-in on my factory soundcard that came with the HP Media Center.
Drums are done using leafDrums. Sounds are from ns_kit also used to be avialable free. Now commercial version is very detailed and the free version is available in a low bitrate quality.
Bass is done using FLStudio with one of the synths that sounded like a bass.
Mixing was done using Acid Pro 4.

So from all of this to get a "big" sound or a nice sound is a little hard. I have been trying to get to a point where I can maximize the output of this gear before I have to shell out for any "real" gear. I only have one Boss DS1 pedal but the dist. is exactly the same as my Crate dist. sound. So it's wrapped up sitting somewhere in a cabinet.

BTW, I uploaded another version with a little high end EQ'd on the hihats and the cymbals. Messed with the snare a little bit more. If you guys gave it another listen and gave me your input, it would only help me more. :)

Thanks for all your help so far, guys. I hope I'll get to Mix better with time. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=419303

Back