Best Mix i think ive ever done. Metal, check it out and comment please.

Well, this has potential. The song sounds squashed to death with compression though. This makes the drums sound like your are tapping on a cardboard box or something. Is there a bass somewhere in the mix?

The playing is good. I stopped listening to metal for the most part back in the 70's, so I'm not the best judge of this genre.

Wow this song is a bit of an epic...
I agree the playing is great, I think the mix is pretty good. I did notice though the 'ticking' sound of a drum part cutting through a fair bit. Maybe it is the real sound of closed hihat but to me a bit incessant.
I guess the final mix depends on the vox, eg cookie monster style vocals would presumably need a different approach to wailing style in terms of the eqing and so on.
Anyway - well done!

I think it sounds very good. The kick sounds like its suppose to in this style of music. Maybe you could add some beef in the guitar and bass to make it sound 'more in your face'. You did a good job. How you tracked guitars? Is this modeling?

I'm not much into metal so I'll just pass along my thoughts....
- the playing is nice and tight on all the instruments
- yes you could use a few solos to give it some more variety (will add later I expect)
- the guitars are a little "fizzy" sounding for me but still have lots' of raunch
- the cymbals have this little ringing noise (both left and right sides) after they are hit, which is a little distracting. Wonder if it could be eq'd out....
- the timing is really good, are you playing to a click track?
Much kudos on the writing/playing...:cool:

I think it sounds very good. The kick sounds like its suppose to in this style of music. Maybe you could add some beef in the guitar and bass to make it sound 'more in your face'. You did a good job. How you tracked guitars? Is this modeling?
all i did was run it through a line 6 x3 live pod and eq and compress it.

I'm not much into metal so I'll just pass along my thoughts....
- the playing is nice and tight on all the instruments
- yes you could use a few solos to give it some more variety (will add later I expect)
- the guitars are a little "fizzy" sounding for me but still have lots' of raunch
- the cymbals have this little ringing noise (both left and right sides) after they are hit, which is a little distracting. Wonder if it could be eq'd out....
- the timing is really good, are you playing to a click track?
Much kudos on the writing/playing...:cool:

nope, no click track involved.

Nice stuff! I don't mind the kick sound, but I think it tends to overpower the bass, and they should be helping each other out. Otherwise nicely played and I'd love to hear it with vocals. Well done!

Joe ;)

I think the guitars sound either too quiet or too distorted. Perhaps overly compressed. There's just something missing with their presence in the mix. The drums sound good though!

i like what you did with this...im a pretty big fan of metal...so i know what you are trying to shoot for. kick drum wise i bet im pretty sure you are pretty happy with the click that you got for it but the thing is that it has no low end...in fact the whole song is missing low end..but besides that it sound really good..and props on the timing and stuff..good job overall but just next time i guess look for giving it that punch and bass....the whole song does sound pretty compressed too..

Being a metal fan for years I know exactly what you were going for. You nailed the top end/in your face sound for the drums. The guitars on the other hand are a little muddy, maybe even low mix wise for this style. Extreme metal is usually very guitar driven and these just seem low in comparison to the drums. You are definitely on the right track for this genre. My only other nit pick would be to tighten things up between the guitars and drums. It is a little loose in places and the tempo seems to wander a bit. Just my 2 cents.

I think the kick is the loudest thing there. The guitars really need to stand out some more. There is a lot of low end there with the guitars and they are a bit fuzzy but they seem to sound pretty good. The line 6 stuff really needs a good EQ after recording.

I like the drum sound but I think the volume needs to be leveled out so drums are not drowning everything else out. Usually the bass and kick drum should be in the same playing field so they work together.

There is just a ton of lows in this mix which is probably what makes it sound sort of muddy.

I look forward to listening and commenting soon - as soon as you listen & comment, suggest, offer in some way other than directly related to yourself, your work & your needs.
Oh, no I don't want you to listen etc to my stuff, I want you to develop a reputation/relationship built on something other than ...well - YOU.
The regulars are thinning out on this forum because there's less reciprocation every day. Participation isn't TAKING it's taking part.

actually the kick,snare and toms are triggered.

Good mix I'm happy to hear there are more people out there using real drums in metal/metalish music on the board. I can agree with everyone else for the most part I think the guitar is just a little too dull. There are a few things I would change but most being personal opinion like the toms they sound really drum machiney. I guess thats because they pretty much are though =P Good song though and great playing. If it was me though that one guitar solo would have a harmoney line going with it. IMHO that would sound pretty BAMF.

Prettty good mix. Sounds like you sampled a Pantera kick and used it. The thing is, I think Pantera used a kick like that with no bottom end because Dime's guitar had so much bottom end. So...if you are going to use a kick like that you need to put some punch in the bottom end, either via bass, or in the guitars. Cool song, and overall sounds good....

Prettty good mix. Sounds like you sampled a Pantera kick and used it. The thing is, I think Pantera used a kick like that with no bottom end because Dime's guitar had so much bottom end. So...if you are going to use a kick like that you need to put some punch in the bottom end, either via bass, or in the guitars. Cool song, and overall sounds good....

Actually it was a metallica kick, but good idea even though some people say it already has alot of bottom end i think it never has enough of it!

Back