Best I can come up with after a 6 month break

LemonTree

Suck 'em and see!
K so I bowed out for a while and took a regular job, I needed the money to keep the studio dream alive. I've been doing the high voltage wiring on wind turbines for the last 6 months (wind farms).

Contract finished last week and I bought 2 new SATA drives for the computer and another gig of ram bringing it up to 2 gig of memory. This was a quick one, day to punch the drums in on fruity loops and throw a basskine down. Scratch guitars today and (what I hope from my mate) is gonna be the final vox (we'll see)

So this is it after a 6 month break, I know the vox get ugly at the "seem so clear" part. For now the guitars are through a V-Amp Pro...we're gonna get an amp mic'd up next week n do them propper, bass is DI'd through an M-Audio Tampa, drums are fruity loops, the mic on the vox is a Studio Projects B1 through the Tampa too. Everything recorded to Cubase SX, streamed back through 3 Delta 1010s to a Soundtracs Topaz project 8 for the mix to dat.

Enough yackin..here it is....

HiFi Stream (non WMP) http://www.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/playsong/29173/1173583460/n/m3u/wildside.m3u

HiFi Stream for WMP http://www.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/playsong/29173/1173583460/n/wmp/wildside.asx

if you must, the download.....

let me know what you think, it's been a while

thanks,

Alec (the lemon)

Sounding pretty good. Vocals sit well....something with the drums. Something missing. Maybe it's just a little boom at times in the bottome end. I hear the snap on the kick, but it seems to quit too quickly. The rest of the drums resonate well. Maybe get a little more of that in the kick. I hear the bass just fine, and wouldn't mind a bit more from the kick. It has great click...but could use a bit of depth. Other than that, I like the sounds of the rest. Don't over do it, but it seems you have the space for a little more in the low end. The rest is pretty clean. :cool:

Dogman said:
Sounding pretty good. Vocals sit well....something with the drums. Something missing. Maybe it's just a little boom at times in the bottome end. I hear the snap on the kick, but it seems to quit too quickly. The rest of the drums resonate well. Maybe get a little more of that in the kick. I hear the bass just fine, and wouldn't mind a bit more from the kick. It has great click...but could use a bit of depth. Other than that, I like the sounds of the rest. Don't over do it, but it seems you have the space for a little more in the low end. The rest is pretty clean. :cool:

Cheers for the listen Dogman, I think the kick needs more arse on it maself, combine that with the bass being thrown down in a hurry and distorted, it's a little light on the bottom end too. All fixable. I'm just loving being back doing this agian after what seems like an eternity. Silly..I'm kinda in love with the way the bass stands out, I may double track and put the arse end of a clean recording in under the one already there. Can'twait to get the guitars retracked, rickenbacker 330 through a viper all tube 100watt combo(australian amp I believe)..that's what we're gonna use and prolly the les paul custom (eppiphone, we're not minted) for the lead parts through the fender twin reverb. It's got miles to climb this tune, lookin forward to getting it right for once. Thanks again for the listen.

Has a kinda pixies sound to it which is cool.
The vocals could do with some vocal automation as they seem to stick out a tad at times.
The lead guitar part at the start sticks out too much.
I can hear a click at 40 seconds.
Maybe a dodgy edit?

Nice
Eck

Hey The Lemon, the tune sounds like you're excited to be back, has some good energy. Catchy and fun. I agree, my system suggests maybe a bit more thump on the woofer with the bass/kick. I think some more backup vox as the sound builds would sound cool too. Enjoyable track, dig it :cool:

I liked the balance on it overall, sounds great on computer speakers, but on my system with a sub it was a little weaker than I would like. Maybe some more bottom end would help.

Needs a biggfer arse, and the lead vox are ust a tiny bit dry and upfront for the rest of it; maybe the arse will fix that too.

How the blue peepin' hell are you, Alec??

I like the vocals on this, and the bvs too. It sort of starts out as a kind of a rock ballad, then it kicks along with the guitar break and builds nicely to a rockin finish. Good energy

FINALY>>>>>

I've updated the files at the top so sorry if you missed the original mix, I've run out of web space to host bothe the old and the new so you just get the new.

This was one of them tunes we had writen for years but it took getting around to recording it to realise it was more of an album filler than anything else.

The only original survivors from the first mix are the vocals, bass line and that really bad sounding guitar solo. The drum pattern has changed slightly but the same samples were used. New aditions to the studio are a lexicon Alex, an LA Audio GCX20 stereo compressor and a Tascam DA-20 to record the 2 track master off the board (saves on CPU power instead of recording back into the computer while streaming from there at mixdown), and the nomad factory blue tubes plugins which I'm loving at the moment.

Hopefully I've managed to get a bit more "arse" on the mix this time, it was a little thin on the bottom last time. All comments welcome, thanks

Alec

I should add the guitars were recorded through a Viper all tube 2x10 combo with a studio projects B1 about 12 inches from the grill. Guitars used were an eppiphone les paul custom and a rickenbarker 330 ...if you get your ear goggles on the right way the eppi is on the left and ricky on the right

The drum fills are distracting.
they are ill placed at times.....they get in the way of my focus on the vocal and sound too mechanical.

Dont get me wrong, i actually like the sound of fake drums, and triggers....loopers etc etc..

I just dont think the fills are a must in this song. Maybe one or two at most.

Also what compressor did you use on the vocal? a 3630?
The attack sounds too fast or the ratio too high....

perhaps a conservative de-esser first in the chain would smooth things out a bit too.

Me Likey very much!!!

Kinda has a Clash "Give'em enough rope feel" feel to it.

Don't change the drum fills, maby do something with the toms or a little humanizing, but leave the fills.

Thanks finster.....you know your stuff but alas, no outboard compression was used on the vocals. I'm no drummer and programing them is a task I'd rather not be doing. The deessing thing...the guy has a speach impediment, that's just the way he sounds..... if I tried to blot that out I'd lose all the top end on his vocals. You're right though.... I should study more on compression attack and release times, not one of my strong points. Thanks for the heads up.

Polska, funny you mention the clash...I've been listening to the remasters double album all week....maybe it's had a subliminal influence. I just loved the seperation the clash had in there mixes...some of the stuff is all drums n bass n vocals, you have to concentrate to hear what the guitars are playing. They definately had the "less is more" thing right.

Thanks for the comments

LemonTree, I'm a fan of the song. Good stuff. The compression is very distracting for me. It feels congested. This song would be killer with an open, airy mix.

TravisinFlorida said:
LemonTree, I'm a fan of the song. Good stuff. The compression is very distracting for me. It feels congested. This song would be killer with an open, airy mix.

Travis in the cold light of a new day I agree with you....there's too much compression on the drum buss

Hey Lemon!

I really like this tune.

Nice sixties sounding rockin' tune, with some kick from the 80's.

I hear some Costello flavour in there.

The vocals have emphasis in just the right places and they are very well done.

The drums are good, but I notice the cymbals a bit far off. I have to strain to hear them.

Is that a muted cowbell I hear...? :eek: :D :cool:

The tambourine sounds great in there too!

I like the sound of the snare. I usually like to hear a sharp snap...but this sounds great.

I love the drum rolls...they have a big volumized sound, that doesn't take away from any other instrument's standing.

I like the tone of the guitars and the rhythm guitar is spot on.

The lead has that great twangy rock and roll sound....I love it!

But....the bass is my favorite. I love the depth and the ballzy feel it has.

Panning sounds good and I don't hear anything being ate up...with the exception of the cymbals...but maybe it wouldn't sound as good with them tweaked louder.

All and all, to say anything is a bit of nit-picking. I like the overall sound of the mix. The rest, is all in the taste of the listener. You could tweak and re-tweak to each of our taste and never think you have it right accordingly.

You do good at what you do Alec.

I would just leave it alone! ;)

true-eurt said:
Hey Lemon!

I really like this tune.

Nice sixties sounding rockin' tune, with some kick from the 80's.

I hear some Costello flavour in there.

That's kind of what I'm hearing for the mix. That 80's ambient sound. This song wants it.

True & Travis...thanks for the comments. As usual you outdo yourself with your detailed discriptions, True...... Did you mean costello as in Elvis? I hope so, loved his stuff! and yeah a tamborine can take the focus away from the fake drums although I feel I'm getting them less mechanical sounding these days. The bass is bold as you mention....I can't help turning up to 11...it's a spinal tap thing ;).

All in all I'm really happy with it all barring the first guitar solo...the bass does a bit of farting here n there but it needs that to pull it out in the right places. It's amazing the difference usinga real amp from the behri V amp pro, I used to think I got good results from that box but nothing beats a 2 x 10 combo full of tubes

Back