Beer commercial with local band.

HangDawg

bUnGhOlIo
Beer commercial with local band. Mix comments wanted

This is my first paying customer and I hope I don't blow it. A local band won a battle-of-the-bands and as a "PRIZE", Miller is letting them do a 60 sec commercial to promote their band (44 Mag.) and miller lite.
This is a rough mix I did last night aboot :) midnight. Could you guys give it a quick listen and see if I have any horrible mistakes, give general mix comments.
(Other than the voice-over needing to come up). Thanks alot.

Miller.mp3

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1577&alid=-1

Last edited:
a one minute spot? you better do a :30 and a :45 just in case.

The music totally overpowered the ad.... get the tag up front and up the middle and drop the music back a bit. You had a section in the middle where there wasn't a tag that was too long for an ad. Also, make the thing as mono compatible as possible. Other than that, it sounded great. Nice job.

Ok, I re-read your post and you asked not to comment on the voice being up front... so I guess ignore my post... :cool:

Seriously, though... it sounded great. I'm suprised they asked for :60. Is this your first commercial spot?

Yep, sure is. I hope it's good enough. I'm pretty new at this recording stuff ya know. I thought 60 was long too, but that was what the band was told to do. I think I'll take your advice though and do the 30 and 45 sec ones also. Can't hurt.

Thanks

You already know to bring the sales pitch up, so I'm not sure what else there is to say. Who did the voice spots? Was it scripted, or did you get the voice-over as a dub? Can I be any less clear in my questioning?

sounds great to me, man.
Chris

HangDawg said:
Yep, sure is. I hope it's good enough. I'm pretty new at this recording stuff ya know. I thought 60 was long too, but that was what the band was told to do. I think I'll take your advice though and do the 30 and 45 sec ones also. Can't hurt.

Thanks

so it's the band asking you to do it and not Miller? that's kinda quarky... who gave you voice tracks to use or did you record those? I worked for the recording studio of an ad agency for 5 years and that doesn't make sense...

I did the voice over. It was given to me by the guitar player. Where he got it is beyond me. I'm a little confused about the whole thing too. I guess I don't care really, as long as it gets played on the air.

Thanks Chris, JR

hmm... i'd be more worried about getting paid vs. air play.

anywho, nice job with the voice over. Is that your voice? If so, you need to shop it. Get an agent. Seriously.

Yep that's me, last night about 11:30 pm, 6 to 8 beers and LMAO. It's the coolest thing I think I've ever done. That's why I'm diggin the idea of air play. :D

Sounded ok to me. The only thing I noticed was the voice over being too far back - something you already caught.

Cut it, print it, ship it, ...

yer done.

Nice work.

:D
Chris
(btw - shouldn't it be "drink" responsibly? I thought I heard "live" respondibly).

Yeah Miller!

Just listened to the final mix, didn't hear the rough mix.

It sounds great, only a couple of nit-picking personal preferences:

You may want to add some (more) compression to the voiceovers to really get them in your face and "radio ready."

The second voiceover sounds a tad overprocessed.

Nice touch with the screaming fans at the end.

You also may want to find out if the clip is going to be mastered. If not, you may want to consider having it mastered to wax and polish it for the radio. Expecially to ensure the mix will sound perfect after the radio station limiters squash it.

(This seems odd that a huge corp like SAB Miller is allowing an external party record and mix a radio spot. Eh...)

So what is it that the radio stations do with limiting? What are the usual precautions one should take when mixing for radio to ensure it sounds ok?

Your voice is great, I really liked the voiceovers.

About the music, I can't say a lot about the mix. To me it sounded right, maybe the snare a little too dry, but what can I say when I'm hearing in the computer speakers?

Good luck with this project, I hope (if it works out) that you get a lot of job from now on!

I dont know... the whole commercial sounded lame to me... Just the content. It was boring...Maybe jazz it up with some more excitement...If its a chance for exposuer for the band then let them use their energy to promote themselves...The sound quality was excellent...Just the whole idea and content of it was really bad.
Hey thats my honest opinion.

If its a chance for exposuer for the band then let them use their energy to promote themselves...

The funny thing about that is. The whole commercial was written by the guitar player in 44 Mag.

Back