Been a while...thoughts?

Synesthesia

It's been a long time since I've last posted to this BBS (I was mightily put off about that whole VMG nonsense), but I missed everyone here, and besides, you guys have taught me practically everything I know about recording. So here's a new song from me, fresh from the oven. I was worried about the balance between the different instruments and the lead vocals/harmonies, so any critiques are well appreciated. Be as harsh as you like, I always appreciate a good thrashing as well as praise. :)

Oneirophobia

Thanks for listening and critiquing. :D

Awesome sound on the keyboard, just huge. I like the mix, the breaks where just the keys flow. Very good song writing. You need some work on the vocals though, the back ups and sometimes the lead is off key. (Go listen to my post here today, you can give me some payback along the same lines!) I will often get a vocalist on my projects, because my own attempts are so bad.

As long as we're comparing, you have an awesome full sound, you put a lot of work into that song. Mine is just a little ditty written (I use the word loosely) and recorded in one day. I have a few big projects like your's in the hopper, not ready for public consumption.

How much of this is keyboard? Just curious.

Thanks for listening, DigitalSmigital! I'm really glad you like the song. To answer your question, everything is programmed except the guitars and vocals. I was hoping the song didn't sound too stilted and MIDI-like...

You're right...I gave it a day between posting and listening, and I'm not satisfied with the way the vocals sound. Although I'm far from being a good singer, I'm usually able to at least sing on key most of the time. Based on your reaction, I think I'll retrack some or all of the vocal parts. I'll also probably add some harmony parts to try and make it sound thicker (the vocal sound on your song was more like what I was shooting for).

Thanks for the help! I'll post future versions here. I also have a bunch of other songs I'm working on in a similar vein, so any help here will be help for all of those. :D

—> New version!

Sorry for the extra post, I was going to edit the top post but it looks like I can't. Almost right after I posted above I went ahead and retracked all the vocals in the song. I think it sounds a lot better. Hear for yourselves (er, please!)...

Oneirophobia (final)

Cool... Vocals could come up a whisker... They seem to be buried a bit - especially in the harmonies - They're swallowed by the verb some.

Cool tune - Queensryche meets Anger of the Lamb with a little less distortion...

Getting near the end - That ride is just on the verge of "too much ride" but it doesn't sound nasty or anything...

Well done.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Thanks for the comments, everyone...the mix sounds better already, thanks to your advice.

DigitalSmigital: I know next to nothing about the Roland U20, but I can just tell you what I did. The keyboard sounds were made by layering about 6-7 different pad/string sounds, filtering some of them through a bunch of Cool Edit filters (some chamber reverb, thick chorus, multitap delay, etc.) and panning them to different areas of the stereo landscape. If you use VST or Livesynth, you can find a bunch of cool pads at http://www.hammersound.net/ . Hope that helps. :)

Back