beedlybum

Interesting composition. I like the hipster style vocal, although I had problems making out the lyrics. I like the guitar framework, particularly the intertwining guitars on the break. The vocal and the main guitar are sometimes competing for the same space, with the vocal generally losing. They need to be separated more in the stereo and/or frequency fields.

There are 8 guitars on this. Which one you callin' the 'main one'? LOL

I think I'll just turn up the vocal.

The main one is the one that goes first and introduces the line. No don't just turn up the vocal, be a mixin' man!

Man you come up with some interesting rhythms. I like this as I do all your stuff. My 'puter speakers are fritzed right now so I have no mix comments but I like the song and that solo in the middle is very cool......60's sounding.

your music always sounds like you are singing to a baby. I can picture an infant smiling as your singing to him..

interesting tune, the mix sounds great.. there is a lack of crispness to it, but it doesn't sound muddy.. just not as crisp as it could be..

maybe mixmkr can give you some specific e.q. tips! :eek:

Another brilliantly beautiful tune, dobie. Everything blends well, all levels sounds good, the recording is clean, and the performance is excellent.

your music always sounds like you are singing to a baby. I can picture an infant smiling as your singing to him..

That's a great description!

Nice stuff dobro,
....Interesting how you turned a quirky little guitar run into something really cool. Lotsa space in this that really works for the tune. This was a fun listen:)
g

Nice song (your stuff keeps reminding me of XTC's Andy Partridge's demo's). Guitarsounds are very good!

The only thing that I don't like is the toms in beginning (doesn't bother me as soon as you start singing, or when it's covered by the other stuff) and the first time you sing the word 'outside'. Just a bit too out of tune and I don't like the way you sing it. ;) Nitpicking...I know.

Fix the vocal bit and I'm a happy puppy!

nice clean mix, bout the song itself, it's maybe one of those you need to listen 20 times to understand&like it
good work

Hey man, nice damned job. I think you're getting a good handle on the low end of the mix...vocals were super clean and clear...(mixwise, that is...still working on the content, lol).

I couldn't dance to it, but I can't dance. :D :D

cool for you

Really cool Dobro. Are you playing electric in parts on this? Thought you might kick into some heavy distorted lead guitar or something... j/k.

I like the way it's arranged. The vocs are bone dry as usual. Might be a notch loud, maybe 2 or 3dB. Maybe keep them this dry up until the rhythms kick (00:49) in and then add some longer reverb? Nah, whatever you like. Sounds great, nice tune!

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I'm going to break with the standard etiquette here and not reply to each person individually, because I'd like your input on a general mixing issue that Larry raised up at the top of the thread. This mix is really busy - at one point 8 guitars are playing at the same time. There are two acoustic parts, which I've doubled and panned left and right - four acoustics playing simultaneously. Larry talked about the vocal getting a bit washed out in the middle of all those guitars. And Emeric talked about the vocal being a *tad* loud (2-3 dB LOL) cuz I turned it up so it would get heard over all the other stuff going on.

Okay, so, in a busy mix, *don't* pan doubled parts left and right?

Man,you sure do get some crisp recordings.The use of space is just killer.I dont get the lyrics "yet",but the song sounds great from start to finish.This gets my vote to be on the HR.com II CD.

I dont have any ability to critique a recording this good.

Great job.

Hehe....that was neat. I could hear this Country all the way...I think that would be cool. I could definitely hear some pedal steel & some fiddle in there. The drum beat has kind of an "Indian Outlaw" (Tim McGraw) sound to them. Might have to change the lyrics a tad though :D:D.

Nice work...interesting.

No mixing advice here.

Jagular - yeah, you nailed it. I was raised on Ghost Riders in the Sky. Pedal steel woulda been in there if I'd had access to one. Maybe I should talk to Crawdad...

mixmkr said:
do re me fa so fa me re do.... Zzzzzzzz

too much hiss

LOL..I have my speakers wide open right now with the treble on 10 to enhance any hiss and I cannot hear the least little bit of hiss.LOL.Are we listening to the same song?:confused:

Hey Dobro, I saw your thread in the Mixing forum. The guitars sound fine to me. I would just try compressing the vocal a bit to keep it consistent and up in the mix.

Originally posted by mixmkr
do re me fa so fa me re do.... Zzzzzzzz

too much hiss
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LOL..I have my speakers wide open right now with the treble on 10 to enhance any hiss and I cannot hear the least little bit of hiss.LOL.Are we listening to the same song?"

He likes winding me up about hiss. LOL He had me *so* going about it the first time. :D

texroadkill - thank you, sir, I will apply the aforementioned compression forthwith and apply the nearest ears I've got.
:cool:

Back