Bedtrack Demo for Vocal

rockexotic

This is a bedtrack demo that I composed with a view to adding vocals.
Since this is an untreated mix and is just meant to get the ideas across, I'd appreciate feedback on the ideas themselves and if or how readily they are felt.
I'm just composing basic bed tracks and laying scratch guitar for each demo. Then fine tuning/leveling each section + or - using the clip faders in Pro Tools.

Thank you for taking the time to listen I hope you enjoy.

I've recently posted a new version based on feedback and personal changes I wanted to make:

Make The Scene (Bedtrack Demo) by LETS (Let's Escape 'til Sunrise) | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
That sounded very good to me. I liked the clean chords . I would cut a few seconds off the intro , starting it when the first harmony notes come in on the synth. Can't wait to hear it with vocals. mark

I think it sounds pretty good. Like Skinner said, it will be interesting to hear the melody and vocals added.

It was funny tho. When it first started, I thought "where have I heard this before?". It took some time searching the memory banks before I remembered. Its not EXACTLY the same, but its like one of those ear worms that get stuck in your head!

Right on! lol This is all great feedback because it's the first bars of the intro I'm still not really sure about.
It's funny 'cos the sound in the video is the sound I was going for but the key of my track is lower and sounds a bit flat.

As regards mark skinner's feedback about cutting a bit off the intro: That's not a bad idea and affirms some of my feelings about it.
I was trying to introduce things in basic stages yet complete phrases.
I've been thinking about keeping it even more basic by dropping the idea of a intro "piece" for now and just starting with a 2 bar drum pattern that launches into the main riff. Even 1 bar would work.
But 2 could set up the feel.

VALUED feedback as I would like the track to incline the ears of a singer. A stronger more effective track that gets to it sooner.
In the meantime, I might add a smooth lead guitar part that mimics the melodies for each section.

There's also a bit more guitar for the verses and outro sections but I'm just leaving it open for now.

Thank you both for the replies.

Last edited:
One difference between your track and the Pop! track is that yours into is disconnected from the song, whereas Pop uses the actual bass line of the song, and goes directly from the intro to the song with the same bass line continuing.

As for opening with a drum pattern that can certainly work. I did something similar with Inner City Blues about 10 years or so ago. Using my then new SR18 drum machine, I did a version of Marvin Gaye's classic. Rather than trying to figure out how to sync everything up at the start, it was easier to just build up .. drums, add bass and guitar, add more guitar, etc. This is how it turned out. Unfortunately, I can't sing like Marvin.

Attachments

• ICB.mp3
    5.9 MB · Views: 5
As for opening with a drum pattern that can certainly work. I did something similar with Inner City Blues about 10 years or so ago. Using my then new SR18 drum machine, I did a version of Marvin Gaye's classic. Rather than trying to figure out how to sync everything up at the start, it was easier to just build up .. drums, add bass and guitar, add more guitar, etc. This is how it turned out. Unfortunately, I can't sing like Marvin.

Sounds nice!

I decided to create an arrangement that is much more to the musical point.
This version gets things across in less time and might be more effective as an audition demo.
The into drum fill is nothing original but works.
Things are more in accord with where an effective track would be come the 2.5 & 3.5min marks.
With the climax bringing it to 4:02 which is still a bit long but not boring long.

There are still plenty of songs that blow mine away in under 2 minutes.
I've been a wannabe for several years and am really quite used to it:)

Sorry about the bad link. I updated the above link or you can access the same from this reply.

Make The Scene (Bedtrack Demo) by LETS (Let's Escape 'til Sunrise) | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Back