Beautiful Girl Sings! Please Critique the Recording.

Morningloryseed

I already see a few things I think I don't like, but I'd love some feedback. On a spur of the moment, we laid this song down with her singing in my bathroom, and me on acoustic guitar in another room. Well it turned out so pretty, I overdubbed two more acoustic guitars and a bass. I wish I had her picture.

This girl singing is a very beautiful friend of mine, she has charm, and can easily be a professional singer I think. But let me know what you think. The song is "Travelin' Soldier" and is the only song on this page, in the song list. Easy to find. Thank you for taking the time to listen.

http://mgs.deltasix.org/Pages/artists/kara_english.htm

Last edited:
She has a nice voice but needs some training, especially in the breathing area. In a few places it sounds like she's running out of breath and it causes her to get a bit off key. Too much reverb on the recording for my taste but that's just a personal opinion. Pretty decent take.

I agree about practice. I can hear some really good things in her voice, and it is amazing how much better it gets when you stretch it out for a couple hours every day and get into live singing situations.

One thing. What kind of music does she like, cause I wasn't feeling it with that song. I'm probably biased cause I hate that song anyways. But she sounds alot more pop/r-n-b than folk/country. Oh, and how old are we talking. I'm not a sicko, just do alot of artist development these days...and it matters.

H2H

I agree with Steve on the Reverb. I'm getting a kind of Janis Joplin vibe on this girl. She just needs a little polish on her delivery.

Yeah I agree on the vocal training. I realized that right off the bat, and it was one of the issues I said I knew about. But didn't want to bias anyone so I didn't mention it.

She is 21 and likes all kinds of music. Her tastes range from Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel, to Hip Hop and all in between.

I also was thinking too much echo on the voice, but half the people I play it for seem to like the "echoey" vocals. Maybe I'll compromise and cut it by 25%.

Thanks. Anyone else?

If you're talking sending demos I'd love to hear an upbeat pop tune.
I AM a pop junkie.......
but I'm also a professional:)

H2H

She does have a nice voice, but I agree w/others - too much reverb and the song doesn't do her voice justice. I'd be curious to hear her open up w/something more upbeat -- a rocker or a jazzy tune. Thanks for the listen.

G

Support here for less echo. This isn't Irish folk music. Bass line is OK but sounds clipped. I'm not sure how the bass was recorded, but I think I would re-track it. Acoustic sounds choppy and a little off rhythm. Was a click track used? I don't think the breathiness in the vocal is that big an issue, many people actually like that. Last, a PR point. From your post to the bio clip, all I read is how beautiful she is. That's actually insulting to her. Let her voice make or break the song, and if you want us to know how hot she is, put up a pic with the promo and let us figure that out. When you say someone is beautiful, it's like saying, "well, she may not sing that good, but she's easy on the eyes, and anyway, she's good in bed."-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Let her voice make or break the song, and if you want us to know how hot she is, put up a pic with the promo and let us figure that out. When you say someone is beautiful, it's like saying, "well, she may not sing that good, but she's easy on the eyes, and anyway, she's good in bed."-Richie

well...it works for Britney and the like...
a good producer can make a hot babe sound decent I suppose...

The verb traetment on the room is way too wet man...%25 aint' gonna be enough...
guit tone is good but, there are a couple of timing issues...
the bass is clipped like Richie says.....
the whole mix sounds like it was tracked hot ...then limited...
It seems really loud to me...in a bad way...

so..........

is she good in bed? :eek: :D

She actually did not reject/mind what I put. I ran it by her before I published. She didn't feel insulted, and had no objections. She is beautiful. Beauty is skin deep, but I can't leave that part out. As for sex, I don't brag. Sorry.

Morningloryseed said:
As for sex, I don't brag.

That means you did her....

otherwise you would have said...

"of course not...I am a professional...I would never get involved with a client"

got pictures? :rolleyes:

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Too much reverb on the vox, bass is clipping and the overall mix seems to be squashed..

Sounds like she has a nice voice though. And how soon until we get to see the pix ? :D

Back