"Beautiful Ashes" - feedback wanted

prog-man

I'm recording a friend's demo and would love to get some feedback on the overall quality of this mix.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• Beautiful Ashes_rev85.mp3
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
My initial impressions as I'm listening now:
Love the guitar tones
Drums sound really good, but the crashes seem chopped off, with not much sustain. Over compressed? Done on purpose? It doesn't sound awful, just a bit un-natural to me.
Vocals sit well in the mix
Tight performances
Nice balanced mix.
Overall, I'd say this is excellent work.

Thanks a bunch....appreciate the feedback. ....i'll take a closer listen to the crashes. Is there any particular section where the crashes noticeably chop off?

Thanks again.

0:55 that double hi-hat hit or cymbal coming out of the left speaker sounded a little odd. Maybe try cutting more low end from it and lowering the volume a bit. There's just something about it that didn't sit right to me.
Everything else sounds superb though, guitar solo is real nice.
You could also push a bit more mids on the bass too.

I thought it sounded real good. Liked the sounds of everything. Good performances. Did notice that little stutter-step at :55.

Maybe nudge up the backing vocals a bit.

the crash cymbals are either over-compressed or need to be brought up level wise. If you could get them to "pop" out in the mix so that they create dynamic contrast it would make the mix more interesting. I would add more compression to the vocals and bring the vocals down so that it sits better during the chorus. It is also possible that once the crash cymbals are brought up that the vocals may sit more comfortably in the mix, so try that first.

Great song. Reminds me of The Goo Goo Dolls except much darker. What did you use for the drums? were they sampled or live?

Thanks, Robbie....i inserted a compressor on the OH track....so i might have to back off on it a bit....I'll probably make some tweaks over the weekend.....Thanks for your feedback.

P.S. The drums we put together with Superior Drummer.

Back