Battle of the Bands Track

Jeazii

Please help me with my mix!! I'm sending this off to have mastered Friday. This song will be an entry for The Warped Tour Battle of the Bands stage in Dallas. Any feed back would be greatfully appreciated. Also, I plan on using Massive Mastering.. he seems to have a pretty good reputation around here, any thoughts?
Thanks

Battle Cry

I can't speak for John, but I've heard good things about him, so no comments there. So whats the history on this song? engineers, locations?

What kind of feedback are you looking for? Brutally honest? Or just a light critique?

Nick picking or just general?

I'm just trying to get a feel, cause I'm sure Im not the first to say it, but warp tour is one *tough* cookie to crack into. You're up against some serious competition, so I would definitly treat it as such.

So the more info you can give us, the better we can help you! :)

My only real question is:

Despite whatever advice you get, is there still a possiblity to go back to the mix incase you need to make changes? Or is it too late in the game?

This song was recorded in a metal mini-storage and engineered by me. The song is a new one that we've been working on for a month. I know the warped tour is tough. We just want to play at the Dallas show. Check out battleofthebands.com for more info. Its all based on online voting. I'm just looking for first impressions on the song and for comments/suggestions on the production and mix.

Jeazii said:
This song was recorded in a metal mini-storage and engineered by me. The song is a new one that we've been working on for a month. I know the warped tour is tough. We just want to play at the Dallas show. Check out battleofthebands.com for more info. Its all based on online voting. I'm just looking for first impressions on the song and for comments/suggestions on the production and mix.

Ok, cool. So you obviously have your head in the right place. well then how bout this:

Give me 10 minutes to look up what Warp Tour is up to this year and I'll be back to help you out. cool? As far as first impressions go, I dig the song, just that it might need some polishing.

Also, if I understand correctly, there are a few label owners and A&R types floating around these forums. It would be nice to have one jump on board to give you the good advice I might not have.

Online Voting Contest:

1. Starting June 16th, the 1st day of the 2006 Vans Warped Tour, we will open the voting process for your chance to win over $10,000 dollars in music gear.

2. The top four bands with the most votes by the end of voting will win the prizes listed under the "Online Voting Contest" section of the "Prizes" page.

3. These prizes are avaiable to every band that enters, regardless of being picked to play the Vans Warped Tour.

**DO NOT CHEAT. One vote per person. We pay attention to this very closely. If you are caught cheating you will be disqualified from winning the aforementioned prizes.

Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands Showcase Party: 2006 LIVE ON FUSE TV!

1. If your band is picked to play the Vans Warped Tour, our eyes will be watching you set.

2. Based on performance indicators including: musicianship, crowd support, originality and live energy, your band could be picked to play at the culmination of the Ernie Ball/Vans Warped Tour Battle of the Bands 10.

3. Past winnders include: My American Heart, Race The Sun, The Tossers, Much the Same, The Feds, Split Habit, Straight Outta Jr. High, Poopan and more.

Ok good:

Out of this list, as far as I'm concerned, the only one you should be paying attention to 150% is number 1 and 2.

1. If your band is picked to play the Vans Warped Tour, our eyes will be watching you set.

2. Based on performance indicators including: musicianship, crowd support, originality and live energy, your band could be picked to play at the culmination of the Ernie Ball/Vans Warped Tour Battle of the Bands 10.

The other stuff is just fluff to get you excited about playing warped tour and putting high hopes.

So is it ok if I gave you in depth information? Or do you just want light opinions? Cause I can do both well. I mean this is what I do for a living, so you have me at your disposal.

Ok cool.....well lets see: There are many fronts we have to think about here.

I mean, we gotta consider the politics, the production, the fan base, the live show, the identity....just that "shabam" factor that ties everything together.

However, I'm sort of gonna omit any detailed production advice, because if the song doesn't work, it dosn't matter how well you engineer, it's still not gonna work. So I'd rather focus on the music.

So like I said, as far as first impressions go, I dig. I like to point out the strengths and the weaknesses. If I only point out the weaknesses, then you won't know what the hell to go with! Quite honestly, when it comes to these demo submissions, the production value is not as important as the actual concept of the group and its music.

First let's break down what warp tour is really saying in thier rules: (Bare with me, I've never seen you guys live, so some of this is stuff I'm just putting out there.)

also, keep in mind that I'm a douchebag just like anyone else. except this douchebag has been around the block for a little while now. :D

Musicianship- You have to be confident on stage. A crowd of people is comparable to a dog. They can tell if you're afraid or not. So if you want to impress on the stage, the live show has to come off dominant. You need impressional value. So if you're fucking up your guitar playing, people tell if somethings up.

Luckly, they are not industry professionals, so you can get away with a lot of stuff just as long as you keep playing and with high energy.

Remember, you're going to be auditioning for some of the most desensitized bastards you'll ever meet in this industry.

crowd support- In the old days, you could kind of get by without this. These days, not anymore. If you can't turn on the crowd and get peanuts out of them, that's gonna hurt you really bad. Warp Tour wants bands that will attract business.

The idea of warp tour is to attract the best unsigned talent they can find. So you have to give them a reason to be " the best unsigned talent" they can find.

There are situations where the talent reps are going to say "this shit will never work...it'll never sell", but just because the crowd loved it, they went with it. So get the crowd to love you and you're gonna look very good. But you need to be more confident than the most confident asshole in that crowd. Scope out the trendsetters and hit them first.

originality- that's a given. that's where alot of people fall short these days. There's gonna be so much regurgitated shit, that if you're caught doing the same thing, you've just shot yourself in the foot and you got no ground to stand on.

Kind of like that movie, "Bring it On", where the other team did the same routine. The same applies here. Don't get caught sounding like everyone else, and yes, you can do little things to felp you stand out a little more.

live energy-
From all the live shows I've ever seen, I'd say this is probably the best example of a life line. You coudlnt imagine all the *shitty* music that I've heard that actually made the crowd beg for more!

All because the energy level was fucking amazing. Especially in this punk/hardcore/emo/thrash/spazcore/metal whatever era.

So if you do end up sucking live, then at least put every ounce of your being into that shitty performance.

Now, on to the critique (strictly the music):

Keep in mind that whatever I say can be complete bullshit, it's hit or miss in this business.

The Good:

The song seems to have a good tempo right off the bat. The performance seems to have good energy. If it was any other style of rock, I would of suggested tempo editing, but not this type of music.

I can tell you guys worked out the song form a bit, cause the song tells me it's 3 and a half minutes, but it feels short and to the point.

The vocals are a little hard to make out, but are high energy. I dig that.

For the genre of music, for the most part, I can indentify that this is rooted well within it's genre.

The Ugly:

The part that nobody likes to hear, but of course, needs to be said.

The music is missing something in a big way.

The drums kick in, thats cool, guitars assault you with some standard riffage, the voice starts right off the bat, but something is missing.

It's the type of song that if you where in the postion of the warp tour talent rep, you'd get into, but then you'd tell youself, "I dig it, but I can't do anything with this, it sounds too much like *something else*"

Or how I've been told plenty of times, "your best is not good enough". That's a big ouch. But that statement is rhetorical, cause *anybody's* best can be good enough, if they know what to look for.

The bands we like are instantly distinguishable, be it the voice, the guitar play, the drums, the song arrangments, the key you choose to write your songs in, tempo...whatever. They have that undeniable feel for thier specific style of music. The musical indentity is a reflection of your confidence and your experience.

For example, Rancid has thier sound. Less than Jake has thier sound. My Chemical Romance, as much as I hate that band, they have things that are unique to them, but in a big way.

So in my opinion, something has to be done to let this song stick out more. Not a complete overhall, just a little something. But think big! Think loud noises! Think dynamics! Think about what's exciting to you as a fan of music, and then over emphasize it!

Oh I dunno, maybe something in the hook? perhaps introducing a certain cool guitar riff into a certain part of the song?

You can also use a key change during your bridge to enhance the tension. So if you're playing in one key during your verses and choruses, and you suddenly bring it up on the guitar neck to a higher key, people are like "whoa!".

I wish I could be specific, but that's such a personal taste thing. Plus I learned that the hard way from all the bands Ive produced. So don't be afraid to sit down with your song and tear it apart if you have to.

I'll leave it at that so you can ask me questions or give me feedback so I don't end up talking too much.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions Lee. You made many valid points. All the live stuff is a given. Before we ever get to that point though we have to make the cut during the online voting. So, right now the most important thing is making sure this song reaches its fullist potential. Any other opionions out there?

Jeazii said:
Thanks for your suggestions Lee. . So, right now the most important thing is making sure this song reaches its fullist potential.

Anytime brotha! I think you guys are gonna do fine :)

I'm gonna roll on outta here, but I did try to direct any potential A&R folk here to check you guys out and suggest more advice. Good luck!

Lee

Just gonna throw this out as an example of a group that made it to warp tour and will be playing several of the shows this summer:

http://www.purevolume.com/momentsintragedy

It may or may not be along the lines of your style, but there's a lot to be learned from it. At their shows, these guys are all over the place. No standing in one spot and playing...they milk the showmanship angle for all it's worth. While they may sound like just another emo-core band, within the genre they have established their own distict sound.

As Lee said, the energy is a HUGE, HUGE part of it. It's what will keep the band into the show, and it's what the crowd responds to. The trick is to not keep the energy up at the expense of musical quality. You could also try setting up a video camera to record a mock show to see what you look like from the crowd's perspective.

As to musical style, the unfortunate trend these days is to more simplistic and clear, and the appreciation for complicated musical passages and difficult riffs has dropped a lot. Maybe it's just backlash from some of the excess of certain bands from days of yore.

Don't hesitate to go with Massive Mastering. I've heard their work and it's very very good. Hope some of this helped out!

Like LeeRosario was saying, it needs to be unique. I'd say you can do something with those vocals. Bring them up a bit more in the mix, and make sure that the two vocalists can sing perfectly together. That can be your style. I used to be an avid fan of this style of music. I can almost hear this song on a Fat Wreck comp, or AF records comp. What's the name of your band anyway?

Iron, I agree on the vocals being to low. I always mix that way for some reason. Also, I agree there are a couple of spots that could be tightend up a tad. So I guess the 2 vocal part thing is sort of unique, but is that really cool? I've been kind of getting tired of that here lately... alot of our stuff is like that. Our other singer thinks its cool and that I need to shut up and roll with it. It sounds cool most of the time. As far as a band name goes, well we don't have one right now. We got a new drummer and bass player a few months ago and haven't played a show yet with the new line up. Heres you chance Iron name our band too!!!!!!

I would turn up the vox. I cant understand one word, and that might help.

The section at 3:15 is NOT working. Those voices have to be nailed and exactly together. The song itself is fine and you have a lot of energy. Good Luck! :)

The vocals seem low and in the background. IMO, they should pop out and be featured more.

Not my cup-o-tea cause I'm an old guy, just throwing out my first impression

Jeazii said:
Heres you chance Iron name our band too!!!!!!
You can take my old band name, Straight Curve. We didn't copyright it or anything and I as the songwriter/guitarist/vocalist give you permission to use it. To be honest, my old band played one show, had 4 terrible songs and a cover of a Bad Religion tune, so it's not like anyone's ever going to think you copied us. You can come up with your own meaning of the oxymoron, to make it your own.

As far as the dual vocal thing is concerned, you don't have to use it all the time. But yea, it does sound good, and would sound a lot better if sung perfectly together. If I were you, I'd adjust it a bit until YOU think it sounds good. There's no point in doing something if the whole band doesn't like it.

I like the style of music. I like the playing. I can't tell the tempo things people are talking about 'coz I'm not an expert.

From a listeners point of view, you got my attention in the following categories:
- Genre (I like this kind of music)
- Drums (I thought cool)
- Guitars (Really good playing)
- Vocals (Good yellin')

It started hitting the ground running and it dropped off pretty abruptly. You need that hook that will drive the point home and send the listener home thinking, "oh man, can't get this tune outta my head." There's a different something around 2:00 but I didn't do much to break the routine.

Mix wise, I dig it. Just turn up the guitars a notch or two. But then the vox will have to come up too. I don't worry too much if the words in the vox can't be made out, 'coz truthfully there's few heavy bands out there today where you can understand much.

This is all just my opinion.

Overall rockin', man!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will work some on the vox and the mix and post the new version. Straight Curve huh.... I'll run that by the boys.

Fix the guitar sounds ASAP! They sound like a boss distortion pedal going direct into a board at line level. Song idea is good, but the guitar sound makes the whole recording sound ameturish. just my opinion.

Jeazii said:
Please help me with my mix!! I'm sending this off to have mastered Friday. This song will be an entry for The Warped Tour Battle of the Bands stage in Dallas. Any feed back would be greatfully appreciated. Also, I plan on using Massive Mastering.. he seems to have a pretty good reputation around here, any thoughts?
Thanks

Battle Cry

I've never actua;lly worked for warped tour, but I have woreked with Locobazooka,m which is a similar thing put on on New England only, they really look for good music, tight sound, professionalism, and a fan base. another thing they ask is how long have you been a band? and Do you have a myspace? (that one shocked the hell out of me) if so, How many fans are on your friend list? (another shocker)

They also care about how many cd's youve sold to date with your current lineup, and have there been any line-0up changes in the recent past?

They ask all of this because, this was stated ion another post, they want money, they want to make sure you can help bring in more money, and you will promote their show and they dont have to pay you to do so. I know locobazooka has options where you can buy 200 tickets and sell them for how ever much you want (thats a $2000 investment that can gross about $4-$5000) you get paid this way, if warped tour has something like that, its probably your best bet. All it takes is some hard work and you will actually et paid for playing.

Your mix sounds ok, take the adviuse already give above and run with it as fast as you can, find out about the ticket buy in, there is honestly nothing like getting onstage infront of 10,000-20,000 people screaming and jumping around to YOUR music, except of course, playing infront of 10-20,000 people and getting paid 2 grand to do it :D

-C$

Back