Bare Bones Barefoot

barefoot

barefootsound.com
Here's my latest - tentatively named I.L.T.S.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/barefoot/singles

It's still rather bare boned and I need to flesh it out with a bit more "melody". But I think this skeleton has a one phat phucking groove!

Like it or not, my music seems to be leaning on the trancy side. My wife describes it as "groovy trance". I'd rather think of it as "trancy breaks". In any case, I guess you have to go with what comes naturally. And as long as it has some edge and people get the GROOVE it's alright by me.:D

barefoot

Mr.QQ,Thanks man! It's always good to get recs from the bass players.:D

Giganova,Multi-approval... Cool.:) Spread the word!

Apparently someone didn't like it because they gave my thread a bad rating. Would be nice if they at least had the courtesy to state their objections.:rolleyes:

barefoot

Hypnotic groove. I like the way the theme is stated for the first few minutes, then strayed from, then restated. I see what you mean by needing to work in melody a bit, but the groove is definitely there. Really put me in mind of movie theme music, this would work well at that imo.
One of the coolest things was the little triplet at the very end, like a signature.
Nice groove!

Mark

I'm digging on the breaks. Nice stuff man.

I also like the choice of sounds. Now all you need is one wildcard melody to usher your songs into the halls of greatness.

barefoot said:
But I think this skeleton has a one phat phucking groove!
I agree... :D

I dig that drum loop (0:17 to 3:00). I also liked the fill at 1:38 and 4:14. it sounds a little "off". (not in a bad way)

WATYF

P.S. I gave your thread 5 stars to cancel out whoever give it that bad rating. :p

Last edited:
I agree pretty much with everyont else here....movie them or even video game music....but also of course some good ol' ass shakin in the stobe lights of the night club sweating like a drunkin pig....oh sorry. My friend did that once....

I also agree it needs a solid melodic theme to match the strong rhythm you have going. Try the theme from the The Godfather and go from there. ;) Keep it up!

Last edited:
definately some solid textures. I would for sure call it trance with its repetitive nature....but makes for a really nice groove...agreed.

oh...I didn't see the humor in the little fart sounds at the end....I might pass on them. (the track just finished playing)

Cool groove going. I rather like the bare bones approach. I am not a big fan of this style. I would just say dont overcrowd it, some of the sparsness really works for me.

Okay, I haven't read any of the other comments yet.

Let's see... musical bubbles, dark spacey bassy, throbbing beats... yup, this one needs a dancefloor. It's fun putting loops together, isn't it? :)

A respectable atmospheric little throbber, sir, for sure. Good work.

What software did you use to put it together with?

But I think it's cheating boosting the volume like that around 4.00. You'll shred someone's speakers with that trick. :D

rah

phat phucking groove! yes indeed

It is trancy because it has that distinct hum to it but it makes the beat really good. If you put a melody over this then that will change but the beat is ace! look farward to the update. You could put loads onto this...cool

Cooper

great job!

either add a melodic line or add a singer with splashes of something undergirding the singer.

about the 5 minute mark the lack of a melody started to get really noticeable, then at 5:30 or so, you dropped the beat and made things interesting again.

i liked the way you brought in the oscillating kalimba sound at 6:30.

in all seriousness, you are one mitsubishi eclipse commercial away from stardom ala Dirty Vegas.

mkg, CJ, WATYF, SLuiCe, Beathoven, badgas, mixmkr, King Elvis, Cooper,
Thanks all for the compliments and kind feedback.:D

Yeah, I definitely had the dance floor in mind with this one.

I've had this mix on my plate for a few months and couldn't seem to find the icing on the cake. Well, I guess posting it was the right thing to do because the flood gates opened and I came up with a bunch of extra material and put it all together just over the weekend. I added a lot, but I think the mix still retains it's open rhythmic "pushing forward" feel.

I haven't had the chance to uploaded the new version yet. It takes my modem forever. I should have it up there by tonight and I'll let you all know and asks for your criticism again.

dobro, VirtualSamana, Giganova,
Thanks also for the compliments.:D Sorry, I must have been spacing in a mix when I didn't post my equipment list.

Here's what I used on this mix.

Software: Acid Pro 3.0, Sound Forge 5.0, Prosoniq Time Factory, Waves Native Gold, Timeworks 6022 Delay & 4080L Reverb, Stomper.

Hardware: Korg MS2000R, Kaysound MK-4902 controller, Yamaha DX21, Midisport 1x1, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Modified NAD Amp, Barefoot Sound monitors.

Media: Various drum hit libraries and a few heavily processed samples.

crosstudio,
" you are one mitsubishi eclipse commercial away from stardom"

Haaa! I promise you won't hear this one in a car commercial until AFTER the CD is actually released! :D

barefoot

Back