Bare Bones Acoustic

chrisharris

King of Bling
Hi...about 7 years ago, when I started trying to record, I posted a tune on this site. I figure it's about time for another one. :D

My daughter played the guitars and sang it...it's not mixed...it's one of 6 songs we tracked today, and to be honest, I'm kinda' trolling for a bass player. :D If you hear anything you like, and you play bass...help me out? I apparently have 10 days to put a CD together. Well, 9 now, lol.

That already sounds great. Look forward to hearing the completed track!

Thanks for the listen - you may have just heard the completed track. :D - Seriously, that's high praise from you, and I appreciate it.

Wow, that sounds wonderful. I too am anxious to hear more. What a voice your daughter has! (Pass that on to her!)

No WAY am I going to give my daughter any compliments. See, my job as a parent is to keep her self-esteem really, really low, so compliments are out. (Kidding, of course - I thank you for the kind words, and I'll pass them on).

dangit Harris!

this sounds good! one of the best sounding vocals out of Jaimee though I still like her ballad stuff the best... I have tried to keep on top of the news from you guys, seems like some big stuff ahead, good luck!

This is a pretty good sounding tracks. Though I would have expected more tracks if you've been working on it for 7 years! :D

Your daughter does have a really cool voice; quite unique and good.

I'm actually a bassist, and I'm always interested in a new challenge. My e-mail is vomitHatSteve (at) gmail (d0t) com if you want to get a hold of me to collaborate.

dangit Harris!

this sounds good! one of the best sounding vocals out of Jaimee though I still like her ballad stuff the best... I have tried to keep on top of the news from you guys, seems like some big stuff ahead, good luck!

Thanks for listening C... She's about to go off to college, and we all know that ditching me will be the best musical move she could make! :D

This is a pretty good sounding tracks. Though I would have expected more tracks if you've been working on it for 7 years! :D

Your daughter does have a really cool voice; quite unique and good.

I'm actually a bassist, and I'm always interested in a new challenge. My e-mail is vomitHatSteve (at) gmail (d0t) com if you want to get a hold of me to collaborate.

Thanks man. How could I not work with somebody named "vomit hat?" I appreciate it; I'll be in touch soon.

What?!?!?!?

Do I come across as an A-Hole usually????

Lol...not at all, man. It's just that everything you're involved in sounds great. I appreciate it.

You might want to re-record the last chord. I can hear the click track.

Yeah, I usually remove that stuff when I'm close to done. Right now, I'm close to start, lol. Thanks for the listen.

What is the make/model of the guitar?

I am a guitar.

It's a Larrivee Dreadnaught with Rosewood back/sides. Kinda' boomy.

I'm not used to fielding questions from musical instruments, but since you posted one, I figured I'd ask my guitar how it likes living with me. It told me to fuck off, so I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Sounds great!
Prodcution wise it would be cool to get some acoustic bass on this, some minimal percussion (shakers?) and some harmony vocals would add icing to the cake:D

Mike

Great voice, and a really nice song too!

The recording sounds really nice, but there's something with the guitars that's a tiny bit grating---something in the transients I think. Is there a direct track mixed in? If so, that's probably what I'm hearing. I usually don't care much for direct acoustic sounds.

I couldn't tell how old your daughter is by her voice, but it sounds as though she's been singing a long time. How old is she?

No, wait .. don't tell me. It'll just depress me! :(

Great stuff! :)

Sounds great!
Prodcution wise it would be cool to get some acoustic bass on this, some minimal percussion (shakers?) and some harmony vocals would add icing to the cake:D

Mike

First, thanks for listening. Yeah, I have a tambo that I might use...shakers would be better, but I totally suck at using them. I've got this egg thing that one of my kids stole, but I didn't even mind because I'm always like a 1/4 beat behind. :D I tracked some bg vox, and I've got somebody working on a bass track. It'll sound basically like this I think...no electrics.

Great voice, and a really nice song too!

The recording sounds really nice, but there's something with the guitars that's a tiny bit grating---something in the transients I think. Is there a direct track mixed in? If so, that's probably what I'm hearing. I usually don't care much for direct acoustic sounds.

I couldn't tell how old your daughter is by her voice, but it sounds as though she's been singing a long time. How old is she?

No, wait .. don't tell me. It'll just depress me! :(

Great stuff! :)

She's 5. Sounds older, I know. ( :D - she turned 18 in April).
I appreciate the kind words, and I'll pass them on. The guitars bug me a bit too, but they're just 2 mic'd acoustic tracks. I compressed them more than usual, which may be the source of the grating. It's funny how differently people play the same instrument. When I play, I tend to be more aggressive, so when I used the same presets I usually use on my guitar, her tracks still sounded thin to me...so I pumped them up some. I think I'll back off of it. A lot of their final sound is determined by the bass, so we'll see where it ends up.

As always, her voice impresses. Clean playing as well.

I like the bare-bones approach. This could be done if you let it.

-Casey

Thanks man. That was going to be the idea behind this whole CD...very minimal. But then she listens and is like..."stuff's missing." So I think the plan has changed from "totally acoustic" to "no drums." :D - I appreciate the listen.

Hey, I have another one if anyone wants to take a crack at a bass line. This entire song is about 5 minutes long, and it's the same 2 freaking chords alternating. What the hell do you do with that? I tried some root/5th stuff on the bass and it just sounded like cheesy country, which is NOT what I'm shooting for.

Hey, I have another one if anyone wants to take a crack at a bass line. This entire song is about 5 minutes long, and it's the same 2 freaking chords alternating. What the hell do you do with that? I tried some root/5th stuff on the bass and it just sounded like cheesy country, which is NOT what I'm shooting for.

Sounds great again. I just bought an acoustic bass, and I may take a crack at a bassline for this. It will be quite craptastic I'm sure. :D

Sounds great again. I just bought an acoustic bass, and I may take a crack at a bassline for this. It will be quite craptastic I'm sure. :D

I'll name my next child after you if you do that, and I'm telling you right now, that's a big deal because I'm not totally cool with saddling a child with a name that has a number in it, but by God, I'll do it. :D

Seriously, any help would be massively appreciated...and to be completely honest, we're not planning on having any more kids and my wife is on birth control, so I'm not saying that there's an awesome chance that we'll have a little "NL5" running around, but if she gets preggers, the child's name will be affected by this thread.

I really like the guitar sound the second song you posted, can you share how you tracked it? (guitar, mics, interface)
Very nice background vocals too. I also remember another song you posted sometime ago, something with building love like a straw hut or something:confused: which made me listen to your songs this time around.
If she ever cuts a cd, let us know, Im sure a few of us wouldnt mint spending a few bucks for good music.
Do you write the songs for her or does she write them?

Mike

I really like the guitar sound the second song you posted, can you share how you tracked it? (guitar, mics, interface)
Very nice background vocals too. I also remember another song you posted sometime ago, something with building love like a straw hut or something:confused: which made me listen to your songs this time around.
If she ever cuts a cd, let us know, Im sure a few of us wouldnt mint spending a few bucks for good music.
Do you write the songs for her or does she write them?

Mike

Hey Mike, I appreciate the kind words. On that landmines song, I'm not sure if you're talking about the acoustics or the electric, but THANKS!!!! It can't be the electrics because I'm a hack at getting decent electric tones, but anyway, here's the chain for all the guitars.

Acoustic - Larrivee D03R -> AT4050 -> Firepod -> Adobe Audition. I treated them with a plugin called PSP Vintage Warmer on a setting that basically compresses, takes out some lows, and adds some top end. The reverb is digital...something called "RoomverbM something". I use it for all reverbs. Kind of a long setting on the early reflections and pretty short for the late reflections. That's probably more than you wanted to know, lol.

Electric - It's my son's Epi SG tracked clean direct. I used Amplitube on it to wash it in a ridiculous amount of reverb and some distortion. I don't know what settings are on there, but I can look if you have that plugin. I usually just start with some "classic clean" preset and add gain until it reminds me of something that doesn't suck as bad as I do.

Yeah, we've recorded 3 CD's...we started when she was 14, I think. This is the last one before she goes off to college. I haven't updated the site in forever, but a bunch of our recordings are here: http://www.betteroffdad.com/content/view/15/1/

We co-wrote most of the stuff on that page: This CD is all her in terms of the writing. Man, I really need to figure out how to update our music page, lol.

Thanks again for the post and the interest.

Back