Band im tracking (metal)

Wireneck

Hey guys this is my first real post in the mixing clinic so go easy on me. I don't think this is the final mix but I would like to get some opinions from everyone.

the song is called "The point at which things break"

I am not hearing enough punch in the mix. Metal needs to feel like it is kicking you in the chest and I am not feeling that here. Personally I dont like the singer, but thats just me. Ok wait, when he sings it straight he is ok but that screaming just sux. The band are nice and tight and have some great musicianship. I just think the kick and the bass need some punch.

Thanks for the reply king elvis,

So you think i need to do a boost in the low end of the kick and the bass? Any specific frequencies?
Im the guitar player by the way lol, i just didn't want to get totally ripped apart for posting my own band.

this is a good song, and the drummer is great..

I don't know man, it sounds pretty damn good to me.. good singer.. something about the snare could be better..

this is pretty kicking.. lots to like.. great screaming..

someone else might have something better to say.. I thought it sounded good and the song was great..

thanks sam

I really appreciate your opinion. I have downloaded alot of your stuff (really dug the master of puppets cover you did) but I never have anything really to offer, other than cool song lol, a comment which is always done over and over in your post.
Im still trying to figure out the snare myself, its pretty clear when its dry but once i add reverb it gets muddled. The only effects units i have to work with right now, oh man i can't believe im going to admit to these, are the behringer virtualizer pro and the alesis nano verb. Maybe its something else, i dont know, what were you thinking?

Hey man. . . sounds pretty good.

As always the drummer is awesome, but the snare sounds very "wimpy" compared to everything else. Can you beef it up by adding a mic on the bottom? You try a bit of delay on it too? I totally agree that the kick could have more low end. It sounds like you cut everything below 250 hz or something and all that remains is the "mooshies" and the click. Do you have a graphic or parametric EQ?

You always have great guitar sounds. I have never had a complaint with them.

The bass guitar is not very full and/or is very far back in the mix.

What monitors do you monitor on? Overall I think your mix is lacking in lows.

Definately not bad though and a very tight performance!
Beez

thanks beezo,
im using event 20/20's the non-powered monitors. I think they are pretty flat sounding so I have a hard time deciding how much actual low end i have going. I guess i need to have another go at the mix. This is the exact reason im posting though, i def have the most trouble on the mix end of things i think.
Im still not sure about the snare, Ill try the delay, i guess it would be a very short one right lol? Micing the bottom, well its a little late for this particular track but ill give it a go friday when we start tracking another one.
oh yeah my eq is parametric by the way

Last edited:
If you ever listen to 80's tunes they alsways have fat snares. The ones that aren't samples normally have delay on them. If you can set your delay in miliseconds, then you can find a chart and get the delay time that works out in tempo to your song. It is also provided in different meters and by 8th note or 16th or whatever. This is assuming you can't just tap it in.

Anyway here it is. I hope you can use it.

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

click on effects - delay - and scroll down until you see tempo chart

Good luck
Beez

You saying were 80s? lol

thanks man, unfortunately i can't just tap the tempo on the 2 effects units i have. Ill repost the song once i work on some of the stuff you guys have brought up.

Very deserving for a ressurection .GREAT track!!Nice and heavy!His vocals are weak when it comes to singing but his screaming is top notch.They shouldn't try to be Dreamtheater.They should stick to the thrash and heaviness.Pretty sick drummer...Now get back on the F*cking 1st page Biotch!!!

Thanks for the bump, WISC.

Cool heavy stuff. I agree that the mix is bass-light. All the comments I've read on the 20/20's say they tend to be a bit bass-heavy, so that might be a factor, especially if you have 'em close to the wall or in the corners of your room.

I always hated that over-processed '80's snare sound myself.:D

I fucking like it!

The snare is a bit dry, but it hits in the right place and sounds nice and real. The only other thing I could say is that when the chorus kicks in and the vocalist starts singing, it feels a tad wimpy. Maybe some backup growling or harmony would help beef it up.
The screaming is killer, but don't stop writing open chorus's and letting the dude sing. He has a good voice, and that really helps for the dynamics of a song.

It's just kick ass man..... nice nice work. When is your album going to be out? Put me down for a copy!

thanks guys

i was looking through some of my old post looking for some other info and saw you guys had dug this out and i never knew (things move down really fast on the mp3 mixing clinic). Thanks for all the kind comments.
Our server messed up and the file is currently down. I hope to have a new mix of this with some different vocals soon. Other songs as well. Thanks guys

stars?

Just curious how a thread gets stars? I noticed that this one has five stars now, while im at it, how come i can never see anyones avatars? haha

When you're looking at a thread, down on the bottom right, there's a thing that says "rate this thread". That's where the stars come from.

As for the avatars, I was having the same problem earlier. Turns out there's an option in your user settings to view/not view avatars. Its probably turned off.

travis

whoa ignition

i just checked the link you posted earlier. I don't work on our website but it definantly appears that our website builder swiped a layout lol. Oh well i guess stealing html isn't illegal

Back