Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Band im tracking (metal)

Thanks

Talking Band im tracking (metal)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys this is my first real post in the mixing clinic so go easy on me. I don't think this is the final mix but I would like to get some opinions from everyone.

the song is called "The point at which things break"

http://wireneck.mylogic.net/roughmix/vocal.mp3

Thanks
    I am not hearing enough punch in the mix. Metal needs to feel like it is kicking you in the chest and I am not feeling that here. Personally I dont like the singer, but thats just me. Ok wait, when he sings it straight he is ok but that screaming just sux. The band are nice and tight and have some great musicianship. I just think the kick and the bass need some punch.
    Praise the Lord!!!
    Mike

Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks for the reply king elvis,

So you think i need to do a boost in the low end of the kick and the bass? Any specific frequencies?
    Im the guitar player by the way lol, i just didn't want to get totally ripped apart for posting my own band.

Thanks

Thumbs up

this is a good song, and the drummer is great..

I don't know man, it sounds pretty damn good to me.. good singer.. something about the snare could be better..

this is pretty kicking.. lots to like.. great screaming..

someone else might have something better to say.. I thought it sounded good and the song was great..

Thanks

Smile thanks sam

I really appreciate your opinion. I have downloaded alot of your stuff (really dug the master of puppets cover you did) but I never have anything really to offer, other than cool song lol, a comment which is always done over and over in your post.
    Im still trying to figure out the snare myself, its pretty clear when its dry but once i add reverb it gets muddled. The only effects units i have to work with right now, oh man i can't believe im going to admit to these, are the behringer virtualizer pro and the alesis nano verb. Maybe its something else, i dont know, what were you thinking?

Thanks
    Hey man. . . sounds pretty good.

As always the drummer is awesome, but the snare sounds very "wimpy" compared to everything else. Can you beef it up by adding a mic on the bottom? You try a bit of delay on it too? I totally agree that the kick could have more low end. It sounds like you cut everything below 250 hz or something and all that remains is the "mooshies" and the click. Do you have a graphic or parametric EQ?

You always have great guitar sounds. I have never had a complaint with them.

The bass guitar is not very full and/or is very far back in the mix.

What monitors do you monitor on? Overall I think your mix is lacking in lows.

Definately not bad though and a very tight performance!
    Beez
    My mic collection sucks now, but at least I have a girlfreind.

Thanks

Smile

thanks beezo,
    im using event 20/20's the non-powered monitors. I think they are pretty flat sounding so I have a hard time deciding how much actual low end i have going. I guess i need to have another go at the mix. This is the exact reason im posting though, i def have the most trouble on the mix end of things i think.
    Im still not sure about the snare, Ill try the delay, i guess it would be a very short one right lol? Micing the bottom, well its a little late for this particular track but ill give it a go friday when we start tracking another one.
    oh yeah my eq is parametric by the way
    Last edited by Wireneck; 03-05-2003 at 21:14.

Thanks
    If you ever listen to 80's tunes they alsways have fat snares. The ones that aren't samples normally have delay on them. If you can set your delay in miliseconds, then you can find a chart and get the delay time that works out in tempo to your song. It is also provided in different meters and by 8th note or 16th or whatever. This is assuming you can't just tap it in.

Anyway here it is. I hope you can use it.

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

click on effects - delay - and scroll down until you see tempo chart

Good luck
    Beez
    My mic collection sucks now, but at least I have a girlfreind.

Thanks

You saying were 80s? lol

thanks man, unfortunately i can't just tap the tempo on the 2 effects units i have. Ill repost the song once i work on some of the stuff you guys have brought up.

Thanks
    Very deserving for a ressurection .GREAT track!!Nice and heavy!His vocals are weak when it comes to singing but his screaming is top notch.They shouldn't try to be Dreamtheater.They should stick to the thrash and heaviness.Pretty sick drummer...Now get back on the F*cking 1st page Biotch!!!
    My Meat Has Worms...

Thread Information