Bad environment?

jmorris

I have an issue with my mixes taking forever to get right. Now by right I mean they always tend to sound very flat,no punch in bass and lifeless. If I work at them a lot they finnaly take shape but the frustrating part is in my studio they sound great. I mean clear and punchy. In that environment Im very happy with thyem.Put the CD in my truck....total shit. Can you folks take a listen to these 2 songs I recorded this past weekend at a gig and give me a clue how they sound on your systems? I use Sonar 5, Alesis HD24 with Mackie onyx 1640 mixer preamps for recording live gigs. Totally mixed in the box.
Thanks

www.livebandrecordings.com/testmixes.html

I like your bass tones a lot in shot the sheriff. Real tight in my monitors. I dont think they sound as flat as you insist.

In bad love the bass sounds good to me too. Really cool bass tones for me man. I like.

I listened to both. On "I Shot The Sherriff", it seems the drums are MIA. On "Bad Love", I can hear drums but no punch (as you know). It could be either the monitors or where they sit or even the tracks themselves. My wild ass guess is the monitors/mix area. I'd like to get my hands on the raw tracks and give them a listen.

these sound like live show recordings that anyone i know would kill to have the quality of at their shows.

what are you monitoring with, by the way?

Just listening to I shot the sheriff - bloody awesome to my ears....Really good tune for hangover recovery too...nice guitar tones...(nb, listening to these on headphones)...wow bad love really nice too...

Cool stuff,
Ben.

these sound like live show recordings that anyone i know would kill to have the quality of at their shows.

what are you monitoring with, by the way?

Really?? well thanks, I get very frustrated with trying to get the mixes right in all environments...drives ne crazy! I use KRK V8'S,the olders ones

sounds pretty good to me. How long have you had the monitors/studio? Maybe try a drastic change! See how that sounds somewhere else. You might find what your missing. I added bass traps in my studio, I'm not sure if it's worth it or not yet, sometimes I think I would spend better time playing my guitar!!

www.myspace.com/steppingonmars

lacks midrange on my hs80's, and the drums need WAY more punch IMO... It doesn't sound bad... but more like a really good live sound and nothing more...If you're mixing it I think a little more punch in the drums and a tiny bit more guitar would benefit these songs IMMENSELY... Just my 2 cents,

-Joel

Back