Bad Dreams II

I'd mangle the vocals harder.
They are a bit raw and too natural for me to work in this context,
some more polish and sheen would make them fit in better, to my taste, think Depeche Mode.

And the drums are to uniformous throughout, go wild with them!

Just my 2cents...

I'd mangle the vocals harder.
They are a bit raw and too natural for me to work in this context,
some more polish and sheen would make them fit in better, to my taste, think Depeche Mode.

And the drums are to uniformous throughout, go wild with them!

Just my 2cents...

b00n! Yeah I'm happy with these drums but you're right. I could retrofit some wilder drums. That's a project for a rainy day. I agree 100% about the vocals. If you've got any tips about polish and sheen, let me know I'll try anything.
I had a listen to Personal Jesus YouTube

There's a delay on the vocal and a reverb..concert hall?
Current vocals are double tracked, no panning, high passed, compressed and some delays. But something's not right, they need to fit in better..
Thanks for the comments

I basically feel guilty at this point commenting on others' music, because I'm sure they go listen to one of my songs and say, "Who the **** are YOU to be telling me what's wrong with MY song?" LOL!

I've always loved your stuff for the creative compositions and uniqueness of it. And I'm a sucker for that industrial/alternative sound. I really dig this. If I had one criticism, it would be that the vocals are just a tiny bit pitchy and tentative.

Otherwise, fun listen! So glad to be hearing more songs from you after all these years.

I basically feel guilty at this point commenting on others' music, because I'm sure they go listen to one of my songs and say, "Who the **** are YOU to be telling me what's wrong with MY song?" LOL!

I've always loved your stuff for the creative compositions and uniqueness of it. And I'm a sucker for that industrial/alternative sound. I really dig this. If I had one criticism, it would be that the vocals are just a tiny bit pitchy and tentative.

Otherwise, fun listen! So glad to be hearing more songs from you after all these years.

Yeah I can't seem to get the vocal to bed properly and like b00n said they're not really working in this context. Yet another flawed masterpiece! :D

Well here's my first listen and post on this here forum, and I picked a good one. Loads of creativity in here, really like your guitar work. Not quite sure about the vocal treatment but I got used to it as the song went on. Like the crazy ending, very cool!

I like the synth stuff on the edges.

Vocal isn't bad. Could you double track? I think that would work well on a song like this.

Bass is a little strong. Low end is a bit too strong I think.

The distorted synth sounds very cool.

Well here's my first listen and post on this here forum, and I picked a good one. Loads of creativity in here, really like your guitar work. Not quite sure about the vocal treatment but I got used to it as the song went on. Like the crazy ending, very cool!

Hey thanks for listening and commenting. Yeah the damn vocal, I remixed the thing and now realise it's too hot

I like the synth stuff on the edges.

Vocal isn't bad. Could you double track? I think that would work well on a song like this.

Bass is a little strong. Low end is a bit too strong I think.

The distorted synth sounds very cool.

Hmm OK let me check that bass again. The vocal is double tracked (but not panned). It would sound pretty thin otherwise. Thanks for the spin Trip

Love the drums-that snare really pops nicely-the whole kit really-kick sounds great to me as well. Vocals-i would have tried a delay when you're just vocalizing without words, just an unsolicited production idea that popped into my head. I like the strange bubbling synth stuff that happens between the singing, very effective...Strange kick pattern that happens around the 1:50ish min mark-sounds slightly unnatural...I like when it takes back off again till the end of the tune. Very creative piece for sure and i could tell one of your songs instantly out a group, you have your own sound and style-i like it. : )

Yeah I have trouble getting reverbs and delays to sound appropriate. I find something that seems to sound good and then next day it's like WTF? and it has to come off again. That kick pattern I think I was try to do triplets, but it's baked in now. Thanks for the comments Strat

b00n! Yeah I'm happy with these drums but you're right. I could retrofit some wilder drums. That's a project for a rainy day. I agree 100% about the vocals. If you've got any tips about polish and sheen, let me know I'll try anything.

Sorry, I've been off for a coulpe of days.
I'd personally slam that vocal with compression, to the point where the syllable endings don't fall off any more.
Just pin the meters.
And then generously add some reverb in the lines of whatever Depeche Mode used.
This would be my first impulse, trying that, and looking how it sounds...

Sorry, I've been off for a coulpe of days.
I'd personally slam that vocal with compression, to the point where the syllable endings don't fall off any more.
Just pin the meters.
And then generously add some reverb in the lines of whatever Depeche Mode used.
This would be my first impulse, trying that, and looking how it sounds...

Hey thanks for the tips. Yeah that's pretty much what I tried to do. I also threw a maximiser at it as well. I'm starting to realise I need to hang up duvets and stuff to dampen down the room when recording vocals, as there's way too much room coming thru

I like this song!

For me I think the drums could be changed, I like them in the bridge (1:54) and to the end of the song but before that maybe do them a bit cleaner/less roomy (if you get what I mean...). I would like to cut some mid (600-700 Hz maybe) in the vocals and maybe add some more reverb (even though I like the dry sound of it, but just a hint). The background vocals I think would benefit with some more reverb to. On the bass I would like it to be a bit deeper (up 80-90 Hz and maybe down 200 Hz) and lower volume in the mix overall.

If you have problem with reflections on the vocals you could try SPL De-Verb (before the compressor)? Has worked for me some times.

Just some thoughts. :)

I like this song!

For me I think the drums could be changed, I like them in the bridge (1:54) and to the end of the song but before that maybe do them a bit cleaner/less roomy (if you get what I mean...). I would like to cut some mid (600-700 Hz maybe) in the vocals and maybe add some more reverb (even though I like the dry sound of it, but just a hint). The background vocals I think would benefit with some more reverb to. On the bass I would like it to be a bit deeper (up 80-90 Hz and maybe down 200 Hz) and lower volume in the mix overall.

If you have problem with reflections on the vocals you could try SPL De-Verb (before the compressor)? Has worked for me some times.

Just some thoughts. :)

Hey thanks for checking it out Jolias. I'm going to try your EQ suggestions on the vocal & bass

Back