Backwoods mentality

tjohnston

The song is called Backwoods Mentality Im not going to make excuses. This is the best I can do at this point in time.

This hobby is starting to kill me. But it looks like im in this for life.
Music is a way of life I guess!

From the depts of my unstable mind... here it is

I would appreciate if you kind folks would critisize without mercy.

Thank you for your replies!

www.nowhereradio.com/timjohnston/singles

tjohnston

Very cool and semi-twisted tune! I like it!

You had some very nice tone and recording quality coming from the guitars.

The playing could stand some tightening in spots but, I got the idea of what you were trying to put out and sometimes that's enough to satisfy a listener.

The vocals too, had a smooth tone and might benefit from a little bit more compression as I think you might have blown the meters past zero in a spot or two. The singing was good though. You have a great voice!

I also liked the way the song came to a dead stop and then started up again for the instrumental middle part that had some very tasty moments to it. It seems like you are flirting with greatness in your guitar skills and with a bit more work, you will arrive at the level you are shooting for.

Good stuff!

Cheers! :)

I think the guitars sound real good also, good song tjonston.
its tough to do vocal/acoustic on a recording and get it to sound right. ANY effect you use like compression or reverb really stand out and you can end up with a ehcoy squashed sounding mix.

Nice guitar sound and the vocal sound was also good.
The performance is decent......nothing to really complain about here.
There are a few timing issues here and there but I think you're already aware of that.
i like your voice.........that's a good asset to have........can't buy it, just have to have it.......so you're most of the way there just 'cause of that.

Overall the sounds are good. Just a few level issues here 'n there, like when that second guitar first comes in. The guitars get a bit boomy in a few spots too.

The vocal could use a bit of de-essing, but not much. Just enough to take the edge off.

I like the room sound in there. Really fits the mood of the tune. Some of the transitions could be a bit smoother.

Ghost- thanks for the encouragement. I guess I wont be selling my entire studio on ebay.

Jimistone-yea true.. when all your doing is guitar and vocal there is nowhere to hide

Lt. Bob- Thanks for the listen. Those minute timing issues are a real pain. It kinda of like ironing out the wrinkles. Lack of editing ability will eventually make a real musician out of me.

M. Brane- Yea boomyness has been killing me lately. I swear that its the room because the boom is present even when Im not micing. Thanks for the reply

ok more to come. I appreciate your time thanks!

Dude... excellent guitar tone.

How did you mic this? What's your chain?

WATYF

Just plain excellent.. Maybe the vox are a bit dry.. maybe not. :)

Good playing, good guitar tone, great singing.

The strings sound very new! :)

Good song aswell..

Good job, T.. keep it up!

Thanks for yor time guys. I personaly think that the guitar tone blows goats!!! The highs are icy and sterile. I thinks its the adat that does that becuase thats not what I hear live. Im using the sm-81 and the RNP then going straight to ADAT.

Blows goats?? Did you say, "blows goats?"

You said, This is the best I can do at this point in time.
And I say you're doing a really nice job. That guitar tone is excellent. The playing is natural and has the earmarks of real skill. The recording part is developing - as are all the folks' out here. I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to other people doing what I like to do.

I'll nit-pick a few points: the entrance of the wide-panned lead line is inconsistent in level with the rest of lead breaks. The break between the body of the tune and the solo break is too long for me. (On the other hand, when you return to the slower part you begin playing before the guitar has totally decayed - much better for continuity in my opinion.) The end of the phrase "never be alone" at 1:29 got radically dumped, like you hit the "Stop" button on the vocal - maybe an attempt at gating without a noise gate? There's a missed hit on a note here and there. So what's the bottom line? It's nit-picking - I get nailed for things like (a little sanp there at 3:whatever) And sometimes I think - sheeesh! What about the rest of the tune??? But then I go back, re-cut it and in the end it's a better piece of music!

As far as I'm concerned, if what you do with the panning and spacing is based on a conscious decision, you're not making any real mistakes. It's all a matter of taste. I think you have good taste - so I like a lot of what you do in your mixes - I'll probably try some of the techniques you're using.

What you can't fix with the dials and knobs and switches is the heart and the soul behind the writer and the guitar player - yours is plainly evident and it makes for a truly enjoyable listen.
Truly nice work here - keep em coming - I don't want to have to pay for the CD!!

This is nice

Great voice! I like it. Some level issues with the guitars in spots. Some of the picking is a little too hot.

Overall this is nice--just some levels issues.

Back